[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best college major

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_20170427_123859.jpg (983KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170427_123859.jpg
983KB, 1836x3264px
Hey, so this is my first biz post. I wanted to know which college major you think is the best out of these three: accounting, finance, or economics?

Which has the most stability? Which has the highest earning pontential?

I feel like a CPA has the best opportunities, but I'd like to hear your opinion.
>>
>>2046230
If you wanna be a wagecuck forever, pick any of those 3. If you wanna be rich, pick CompE, CS, or EE.
>>
>>2046241
I'm too stupid for those.
>>
>>2046230
/biz/cryptocollege is the right choice senpai
>>
Accounting - highest stability. You're almost guaranteed a job, anywhere in the world. Also good potential for high pay over time

Finance - highest earning potential, but harder to get a foot in the door (without perfect marks)

Economics - don't bother. Not much of a jobs market, and very few positions pay well
>>
>>2046250
I thought I was too and chose Economics. I ended up completing Calc 1-3, Linear Algebra, Diff Eq and then took the CSEE MIT OCW free courses. I'm working in robotics now and making 160K a year.

Unless you wanna be a CPA cuck and be around get bossed by Chads in your big 4 role if you even make it that far, I suggest doing something more technical. It's worth the effort.
>>
>>2046264
How does masters in finance fair?
Still a freshman so I have room to switch to Accounting if I wanna
>>
>>2046264
Forget accounting.

Being an actuary is the greatest thing that ever happened to me.

Look into actuarial science or a mathematics major OP. Just don't let them trick you into becoming a math teacher. You have to study actuarial tests alongside your college studies but it's worth it.
>>
>>2047529
Being an actuary will get you all the pay you might expect from someone with a masters or PhD but with only a bachelors and a few privately studied tests.

It's like accounting but without any of the shitty parts. Ask your university about the path to becoming an actuary.
>>
don't ask.

pick something you like and don't think about it too much, because you'll fucking moan about not being able to get a job at the end of it either way. So do what you like, just make sure you make an effort to secure a job by the time you've written one sheet of notes for the first module of the first year.
>>
>>2047543
I'm interested, I'll have to look into this.
>>
>>2046230
not economics
>>
>>2047543
Actuarial science is not easy. You have to be really good at math and statistics do get an actuarial degree.
>>
>>2046230
Don't do accounting as one of my night classes had a couple of accountants who were getting a new major as their jobs have been downgraded to seasonal.

These were people in their 40s mind you.
>>
>>2046230

Econ major

If it's a B.S. in Econ (sometimes called Applied Econ, Mathematical Econ, etc) then you should be able to sell yourself for any analyst type roles - bonus points if you take econometrics, some calc, and anything else math related.

B.A. in Econ is a bit tougher. I'm majoring in this but I honestly am not interested in the type of stuff I posted above. The one thing that I've found very valuable is that people think I'm a lot smarter than I really am lol. A lot of people hated their intro econ classes so the general perception is if you major in it you have to have some brains.

No opinion on finance but everything posted about accounting in this thread is pretty accurate. Mind you, it's the most mundane material to learn imo and was a good reason I switched out of that major . The intro material is very useful for any entrepreneurs out there
>>
>>2046266
>putting linear algebra anywhere near calc and diff eq
ishiggy diggy
>>
>>2046230
What should i do /biz/?
I have my American highschool diploma but im living in spain rn, have 800$ in my savings. Should i join the FFL or try to get into college in Germany?
>>
>>2047546

Ignore this one. Majors operate in "galaxies". As long as you're in the same general galaxy for what job you want, you're good.

So for CS, for example, if you can code, CS = mechE = physics = math = EE. They're all in the same galaxy of "strong emphasis on comprehending mathematically deterministic systems" and thus are interchangeable.

Once you realize this idea of major galaxies, it's very freeing. Pick something relevant to the job you want that interests you and you can't do wrong.
>>
File: 1493308488199.jpg (83KB, 1024x1017px) Image search: [Google]
1493308488199.jpg
83KB, 1024x1017px
>BSc Physics
>MSc Applied Mathematics (with focus on mathematical finance)
>PhD Statistics (with focus on mathematical finance)

I'm literally pissing on everyone in this thread. Oh and I can program excellently in Python, MATLAB, C++, C, Java, SQL, fortran and Swift (just for shits and gigs and making iOS apps), as well as knowing HTML+CSS to a proficient degree (also just for shits and gigs)
>>
>>2047867
Where'd you study?
>>
File: 1491256980698.png (64KB, 658x901px) Image search: [Google]
1491256980698.png
64KB, 658x901px
>>2047867
how to smrt show me plz
>>
>>2046230
i got my accounting degree last year and haven't been able to find a job so consider that if you're thinking accounting might be an easy, safe route
>>
>>2047889
don't wanna say, I'm the only one from my uni who did this particular degree combo (that I know of) and I don't want to identify myself.

>>2047893
Pick up a math/physics/engineering textbook and read through it, do all the derivations of theorems and formulas and do the examples (you don't have to do all the examples but at least one for each concept). Make sure you understand every step in every calculation. Also make sure you understand everything being covered in lecture (you don't have to actually go to lecture though if they're being filmed or shit like that, it's up to you). Do old exam problem sets and if you can't get a problem right, go through the solution and work through it and make sure you understand *every* step of the calculation. Rinse and repeat ad nauseam.
>>
>>2048023
Nice larp. You're worthless and no one believes you anymore.
>>
>>2047795
This guy knows what he's talking about
>>
>>2048066
lol whatever you say buddy
>>
>>2046250
I thought I was too stupid for math when I chose it, but like they say: pressure makes diamonds
>>
>>2047899
Why didn't you do recruiting and internships while you were in school? Every accounting major I know from my school has a job offer from an accounting firm, government or industry before they graduated.
>>
>>2047899
You must've gone to a really bad school. I went to a regional state school and got a 60k job early senior year. 3.2 GPA no internship. No problem

The job makes me wanna anhero everyday tho
>>
>>2046266
Did you finish with your bachelors? That's an insane salary. You could easily become a millionaire if you invest a good chunk of that money.
>>
>>2047762
college in germany
>>
>>2046266
Hi,

I want to study robotics too. What courses did you take?

Halp, pls.
>>
>>2049552
Yeah, honestly getting a job offer wasn't all that hard. I just met with several recruiters at a job fair from different accounting firms in the city, had a few rounds of interviews and had multiple offers. I also didn't do an internship and had an average GPA (like a 3.3). This was about two and a half years ago, so maybe the employment market has tightened up. Kinda sucks for this guy who now has a 1 year unemployment gap and now has to compete for jobs with a fresh batch of college graduates.
>>
>>2049552
>>2049532
yeah i actually did go to a pretty shit school. i didn't think it would be so bad, but it's been rough. friend of mine went to a different school in the state and is in the same boat. it's fucked.
>>
>>2049654
What you could do is go back to school and earn a Master's in Accountancy or Taxation and go through recruiting again. I would recommend an affordable state university since they will always be targeted for recruitment by large firms. One of my friends actually did this, he graduated college with just a bachelor's in accounting a few years ago, fucked around for a year or two and went back to earn his Masters in Taxation. He will be starting a job at PwC later this fall.
>>
>>2046266
>>2047699
>Calc 1-3
How difficult are these? The highest math I've studied is Statistics in community college, which I enjoyed. Most of the undergrad programs I'm looking at require these and I'm worried I might be a genuinely stupid person.
>>
Degrees are a waste of time and money. It's a waste of money because the time and money you are spending on uni, 4 years and only God knows how much cash, could have been used to follow the market, invest, save money and maybe open your own business. It's a waste of time because even if you are getting into to learn something you enjoy rather than just for the money, anything they teach on university can be found and learned through books and the internet and unlike with uni, you don't need to follow a specific path/schedule. Plus, being self-taught gives you unique perspective and advantage over your competition.

The only reason to go to university is if you really want to spend your time drinking and fucking whores.

Or if you don't have any talent and don't have any confidence, in this case a degree is very useful.
>>
>>2049902
you're not 100% wrong, but you're quite wrong.
>Degrees are a waste of time and money. It's a waste of money because the time and money you are spending on uni, 4 years and only God knows how much cash, could have been used to follow the market, invest, save money and maybe open your own business.
yeah I'm sure you're gonna able to save tons of money from working at fucking starbucks because that's the only place that'll take you without a degree
>It's a waste of time because even if you are getting into to learn something you enjoy rather than just for the money, anything they teach on university can be found and learned through books and the internet
Except being a doctor, engineer, lawyer etc. You need licensing for that. This is true for bullshit humanities degrees though.
>you don't need to follow a specific path/schedule.
you could've just written you don't like getting up early in the morning
>Plus, being self-taught gives you unique perspective and advantage over your competition.
you're gonna have to self-teach in uni anyways so there's not really any advantage here.
>The only reason to go to university is if you really want to spend your time drinking and fucking whores.
And to network. And to get licensing.
>Or if you don't have any talent and don't have any confidence, in this case a degree is very useful.
semi-true
>>
>>2047867

>knowing HTML+CSS

This is the only part of the post that might be remotely true. One wonders about the mental state of someone who talks themselves up on the internet.
>>
Is there any way I can salvage the psych BA I'll be getting next year?

I want to get into finance/behavioral economics
>>
>CPA
>nothing but low paying temp jobs when I've had a job at all for the last 6 years
>kids without even a degree have $60k jobs lined up

This thread was the push I needed to finally kill myself.
>>
just go live in the wilderness
>>
If you're starting now (graduating after 5-6 years) there will be no jobs left other than programming or nursing. In 15 years 60% of current jobs will be replaced by technology.

Basically college is simply walking into bankruptcy if you are entering now. Big companies do not even ask a degree anymore. Education is becoming a huge scam.
>>
>>2049675
Calculas is actually easy af.

You legit just learn rules of differentiation. For example,
y = 4x^3+2x^2
dy/dx = 12x^2+4x

This is a basic example but you really just learn rules and then apply them.
>>
>>2051132
I'm in the same boat as you anon.

JUST
>>
>>2052467
What can we do man? I don't wanna be a social worker or teacher FUCK
>>
>>2046230
Did undergrad degrees in Finance and Economics. Won Fulbright, free MSc in Statistics. Hired in telecommunications to design machine learning algorithms, was running the team within a year. Started at 130k + options. Fast forward a year, company is acquired by VC. Options cashed out. Now I'm retired at 35.

TL;DR Economics+Statistics master race.
>>
Supply Chain Management tho
>>
>>2047662
Degree is easy as fuck, it's the exams that are hard.

Source: am actuary
>>
I graduated from a 4yr highly ranked undergrad and now im at an ivy league dental school. Did I make a good career choice /biz/?

I'm debating working my ass off to try to match for Oral + Maxillofacial Surgery residency
>>
>>2052661
I currently work for a small manufacturing company and I'm leaning towards this every day. Doing supply chain management for a large distribution company would be awesome.
>>
help anons I'm studying tourism for fucks sake
>>
Information systems. Period
>>
File: mathphd.jpg (7KB, 250x166px) Image search: [Google]
mathphd.jpg
7KB, 250x166px
>>
>>2053030
>Information systems. Period

Then what?
>>
>>2052661
I have a general studies degree, focused on information systems with nearly 3 years of warehouse experience.

Would I have an understanding of what was going on if I tried applying for a supply chain position?
>>
Did I fuck myself over with a Psych major?
>>
>>2053047
Computer Science lite. Period.
>>
>>2054452
I am wondering the same anon

I'm that anon above that wants to go into behavioral economics
>>
>>2054452
LOL...
but seriously... yes. obviously.
Did you not bother to see what jobs you can get with your planned degree? You are the reason I dont want free college. Idiots go into dumb majors and cost people money so they can be useless
>>
>>2052661
is it hard
>>
>>2054469
Truth be told, I asked because of my sister. She's 6 motnhs short of finishing uni and she's about to quit. Stupid people making stupid decisions indeed.
I can only tell her she should look into some marketing shit but she's too much of a pussy to do anything with her life anyway so why bother.

But yeah: Advice for a psychology major who's on the verge of quitting and being a hairdresser?
>>
>>2054474
anything that will make you real money is hard. just put effort into it and its not a big deal.
>>
>>2054487
get in tight with people at the college, you can get a job there pretty easy with a psych degree and make like 30k-ish, but outside of that nobody really wants it. unless she will have a masters or doctorate of course.

If I was her I would start looking to get involved with the colleges career services, or with one of the other college "branches" financial aid, advising, etc..
>>
>>2047699
Real linear algebra is just as difficult as those. You won't believe this, but all math that can be done via computing is done via matrix manipulation, there are derivative transforms and integral transforms and linear transforms in general aren't simple. Eat a dick pleb
>>
>majored in art
>teaching elementary art
>8-3:30 5 days a week never overtime
>job is easy and I enjoy it
>get 1/4 of the year off + a week of sick days

feels good man

shame I only make 50k, but that isn't bad in texas
>>
>>2054487
OH!

also tell her to not quit if she is that close. you can get a better job just because you have a degree then you could do otherwise. and its a waste of money if you quit.

for example, you need a degree to work as a manager at most clothing stores. the type of degree doesnt matter literally at all, but its usually a requirement none the less.
>>
>>2054506
50k as a teacher isnt bad at all, man.
You can do online shit over the summer too for teaching and make another 20k easy.
>>
File: 1415708854591.jpg (136KB, 830x1062px) Image search: [Google]
1415708854591.jpg
136KB, 830x1062px
>>2046230
Gonna go against the grain and say the degree you have passion for, have talent for and will work hard at.

It is better to be a great feminism major writting books for blue haired harpies than it is to be a C- engineer who can't be trusted to build a bridge.

Also
>be good at liberal arts major
>do "research" and get free ride

Plenty of rich blog fags. Go look at the amount "zenhabits" or Mormon Mommy blogs make.

The world doesn't need people who are shit at their job, automation is coming for them. The world needs people who are good at shit in almost every discipline.

Bonus points, the "easier" something is the easier it is to stand out by actually working hard at it.

Also, go look at the incomes for c level artists. Haters go kill yourself after realizing being a backup dancer for Lady Gaga pays more than engineering
>>
>>2054509
I had no idea that was possible, what kind of stuff so I can research it?
>>
>>2054549
states usually have an online school option in case students arent able to go to physical school for different reasons.

Here in Florida its called "Florida Virtual School".
You may be even be able to teach for the florida one, you dont ever leave home if you dont want.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.