[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ACCOUNTING CAREER PATH

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1493041978580.jpg (62KB, 594x350px) Image search: [Google]
1493041978580.jpg
62KB, 594x350px
hi, /ck/fag here so apologies for the shitty post

so i work for BA/ML doing accounting in london

about a year away from qualifying (ACCA). i kinda wanna move into something that will earn me more money in long term. accounting is back office as fuck and i want something that's more relevant to the outside world.

realistically, what can i do? i'd love to move into, say, CDF or investment. ideally trading but i doubt i can get into that from a back office position. i really don't give a fuck about sacrificing my spare time and my social life. i just want to work my way up in the world.

i do a fair amount of stuff related to fixed income/derivatives so i do have a bit of exposure to that kind of shit.

what is the most that accountants can earn if i were to stay in this position? i just find this work incredibly dull.
>>
>40 years of wageslavery
>not becoming a crypto billionaire

wew
>>
>>2033749
If you go B4, That stuff isn't really back office.
>>
>>2033749

>trading other than back office

kek
>>
>>2033822
what do you mean?

by B4 you mean the big 4 banks (BAML, JPM, CB & WF)? or the big 4 financial services (KPMG, DLT, EY & PWC)?

>>2033898
huh?
>>
>>2033749
Hi I'm an actuary. Let me give you some advice.

You want to become an actuary, not an accountant. Do your own research if you like, but you should seriously become an actuary.
>>
>>2034032
my brother is an actuary. i don't want to deal with the comparisons.
>>
>>2034032
rather a different profession requiring a different skillset and another 3-4 years of professional exams when the OP is not far off completing ACCA

seems like a silly idea given there are only marginally better earnings (and probably less so for the OP at this point given he'd need to start over again)
>>
>>2033749
I'm not an accountant but from what I've seen large numbers of your brethren are pretty clueless when it comes to finance and quite frankly wouldn't have any hope of getting out of a back office/middle office role

people working in valuations etc.. who claim to know about derivatives tend to know next to fuck all

you might have a shot at a product control role and that could get you close to a trading desk but it is still a huge leap to go from there to trading and is rather unlikely - also consider that 'trading' in banks no longer includes prop desks and things are progressing towards greater automation, more emphasis on electronic trading - you've got the wrong skill set for this, they needs stats guys and hardcore programmers not accountants.

there do seem to be some areas where people can do well starting from your profession - firstly if you're involved in M&A there is potential to move into an Investment Banking role - still hard to do but maybe better chances than trading.

you could grind it out as an auditor at a big 4 firm - if you've got high EQ, good sales skills and are hard working then getting partnership at one of those firms is a nice move on the other hand getting stuck/passed over as a senior auditing bod would probably suck massively

similar to the investment banking angle you could, with the right background, try venture capital or PE... again hard to do but has been done by others before you

lastly - why not make a move to a buy side firm, small hedge fund etc... you're unlikely to become a trader however there is a clear path on the buyside to aim towards becoming a CFO in some fund or other and once you're at that level does it matter that you're not a trader or PM - you'll be compensated just as well as them
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.