[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If UBI gets implemented in the future

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: images (82).jpg (15KB, 512x287px) Image search: [Google]
images (82).jpg
15KB, 512x287px
As a result of advancements in Automation and Artificial intelligence, why would anyone under the age of 30 need to worry about saving up or investing for retirement? You'll be getting a living wage by the time you're in your 60s anyway.
And even if automation takes most jobs but the jobless plebs won't get UBI because the elite refuses to fund it by their new found wealth, wouldn't most investments be made worthless as there would no consumer market and society would quickly devolve into anarchy?

There's literally no reason for wagecucks in their 20s to invest for their retirement considering they will either have a living wage by the time they reach old age, funded by increases in productivity as a result of automation, or society would be in a state of constant chaos and investments would be rendered worthless as capitalism won't function in a world where they won't be any jobs or welfare for the masses
>>
>>2030730
>If

What if AI and Automation don't take over?
>>
>>2030798

No one knows the extent of the job losses but many predict that even with today's machine learning techniques , we could automate half the jobs that exists today. During the great depression, we had a leak unemployment rate of 25 percent. This is probably going to be much worse. There's already self driving Trucks that are being trialled today.
>>
>>2030895
Truck drivers are the most common occupation around the US. It's also the most common high paying jobs for unskilled men. Not to mention, there are Many small towns along important truck routes that depend on Truckies for their incomes. When they start automating the truck industry, there's going to be a ripple effect across local economies. It'll be Rust belt 2.0
>>
File: 1486142093347.jpg (43KB, 526x358px) Image search: [Google]
1486142093347.jpg
43KB, 526x358px
>>2030895

The design in your pic is unrealistic. For a long time it will be both practical and legally necessary to have a cab where a human driver could assume control in the case of breakdown or other foreseeable issue. We will be fucking cyborgs who can transform into vehicles by the time that design is feasible.
>>
>>2030895
I work as a data scientist, and I can tell you that it's not going to happen any time soon. It's not even clear that most physical tasks are *worth* automating. The robot that needs to perform physical actions is much harder to program than its brain. Besides, expanding technology unlocks industries which we haven't even thought of at this point and has done so since the industrial revolution 200 years ago. These new industries require human effort and ingenuity to conquer. The main loss of jobs over the next decade will be from retail, which has only a little to do with automation.
>>
File: images (83).jpg (32KB, 543x271px) Image search: [Google]
images (83).jpg
32KB, 543x271px
>>2030930
Maybe for the first few years, but eventually they'll just use drone operators to direct a wayward or dysfunctional truck to the nearest Tesla centre or something . It wouldn't make economic sense to invest in a fleet of expensive self driving trucks if you still need truck drivers to be there in case something goes wrong.
>>
>>2030951
I'm not talking about the near term but in the next 40 Years. I could easily see a ton of jobs being automated by the time I'm in my 60s and near retirement.
>>
>>2030969
But are you *certain*? if you aren't then you still need to save for retirement.

Step out of the futurist echo chamber for a second: people have been talking about AI being a decade away for 6 decades. Just like they've been claiming that fusion reactors are just around the corner. There are many hard problems in AI and automation and they aren't going to be solved unless the short term return on investment outweighs the billions in research required. I do think self-driving cars/trucks will eventually be common, but that's merely a single instance in a single industry and it's taking the most tech savvy and advanced companies a decade+ to figure out.
>>
>>2030730
Maybe retirement will invest in u and the person
>>
>>2031023
Have you been paying attention at all? The robots are already here and this innovation is going to get better and more the years ago by.

Boston Dynamics latest robot:
https://youtu.be/-7xvqQeoA8c

An ad for a robot chef going on the market this year:
https://youtu.be/KdwfoBbEbBE

Fully staffed robot hotel, humans need not apply:
https://youtu.be/mpzIQt6l4xY

This isn't some "futuristic echo chamber" as you put it, this is the now. These are just a few things coming on the market; do you really think we don't have the technology for anything past this right now? Let me remind you anon, to put things into perspective, that while the US was developing the nuclear bomb, the rest of us were all in on cowboys and Indians and still fighting to win the Wild West. Cell phones existed in the 70s but weren't adapted until the 90s. The internet and coding was being developed long before it was ever advertised to us in the 90s. Do you really think the trucking industry is going to be the only ones affected by this? You're fooling yourself and completely out of touch with reality.
>>
>>2030730

The amount of buzz phrases in this post is ridiculous.

How about you get a fucking job

If the gibe dats want to riot in the future, then let them.
>>
>>2031229
I do have a job. Not well paying one though.
>>
>>2031241

So instead of getting more skills, you'd rather have the government steal from otherd
>>
>>2031253
>>2031253
I'm a first year accountant. Ill be getting a raise in about a year. Anyway this isnt about me faggit, this is about what will happen in the future when there's no longer a sizeable middle class to sell shit to because a significant proportion of the middleclass no longer have jobs as a result of technological unemployment and the capitalist class are hording all the wealth. It would be in your interest to have some sort of wealth distribution system in place, when the average person becomes a neet. What will happen to your Apple or Samsung shares when the average person can't even afford clothes, let alone high tech consumer devices or
>>
>>2031268
Let's suppose that I grant your premise. There's at least a third possibility which is that full time jobs will simply disappear over time and be replaced by part time positions. This is what's happening anyway with the so-called gig economy and the rise of contractors, and in retail as the industry contracts. If this happens, it's quite possible there won't be any UBI, nor enough social unrest to make investment unprofitable. In that case what will you do?
>>
>>2030730
>There's literally no reason for wagecucks in their 20s to invest for their retirement
t. retard
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.