[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Ethereum deeply flawed?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: peppingtondotdotdot.jpg (36KB, 500x462px) Image search: [Google]
peppingtondotdotdot.jpg
36KB, 500x462px
Ethereum is the platform on which decentralized apps, dapps, can be made, and Ether/ETH is the associated cryptocurrency.

Typically when we want to access a service, we go through a middleman, a central authority. Want to send money to somebody? You can go through a bank to transfer the money. Want to get a taxi? Go through Uber and find a taxi driver. Want to send an electronic message? Use WhatsApp or SMS and the message will go through a central point/company/server and onto the person.

With Ethereum, there is no middleman, no central person or organise that can exert control or take a cut of the money. With a message dapp, the message goes through the Ethereum network which is controlled in a sense by everybody and nobody. If you want to get a taxi, you can use a dapp to find a driver with no middleman needed and no large cut taken by them.

Let's say you're a developer. Where is your INCENTIVE to create a dapp?

You have no control as it's decentralized. How are you compensated? Do you provide a facility in the app to get donations, or perhaps even take a cut of transactions with the dapp? But if you can take a cut, isn't that against the point of decentralization and the whole Ethereum project? And what's to stop somebody copying and pasting your app, making tiny superficial changes so they get paid and then releasing the dapp as their own and earning ETH? Additionally, don't developers need ETH to run/create their dapps? So they have to pay out of their own pocket to create a valuable project for everybody to use.

I can think of only 3 incentives...
>>
>>2027997

...the first 1 and 2 being quite similar. 1) Some developers may sacrifice their time and money to create dapps because they think decentralization will make the world a better place, or 2), they hate monopolies and centralized services so much that they are willing to sacrifice their time and money just to see these middlemen cease to exist. Finally, 3), developers could crowdfund their projects that large numbers of people want and release them as dapps and take a cut for your effort, but you don't need the Ethereum platform to do that, you could just crowdfund and release your app for free outside of Ethereum. In fact, you could do 1 and 2 without Ethereum as well, you could just create apps and release them for free.

Ethereum may provide a community spirit that encourages developers to want to change the world, but with out monetary incentive, I doubt there would be enough developers willing to sacrifice vast quantities of their time if they aren't being compensated.
>>
>>2027997
You can write your fees directly in the contract and can be essentially guaranteed payment.

You could use your DAPP to deliver a binary or a license key as well.
>>
>>2028028
Here's your answer OP.

And to be honest I believe that the "making a world a better place" truly does drive some of the developers. I mean, the opportunity to rid yourself of middlemen bankers and others who hold the keys to power is pretty awesome. Some people have enough altruism in them that they'll spend the time and effort on that even if they aren't getting paid as much as they would in a normal corporate structure.
>>
There are literally plenty of revenue-producing dapps
>>
>>2028057
Which dapps? What do they do? How do they generate revenue? Doesn't generating a lot of money thorough you dapp mean it's somehow centralized? Uber could invest resources into making an Uber dapp, promoting it to the point it becomes the go-to taxi dapp and make millions of dollars/ETH in the same way they do from normal apps.
>>
>>2028028
Is the code to dapps not open to all? Could a dapp not be copied and tweaked to benefit somebody else? Who's going to stop that person? The law isn't getting involved, how are they going to destroy the copied dapp or find the copier? And if you get payment from the dapp, does that not mean it is then like a middleman service?
>>
>>2028043
Perhaps there would be enough developer time/effort investment to create an enough decentralized apps. I can definitely see how you could replace a lot of services. For example, if you created and Uber dapp, as much as you may not get money, nobodies gonna sue you for copyright because who's gonna find you? In a centralized world, people making copy-cat ubers would be sued and they would have to manage the app.
>>
>>2028074
>uber could make its own dapp
This isnwhy people are calling ETH web 3.0. DAPPs floating on the public block chain showing competing prices with public records, available to any and all.
>>
>>2027997
There's a huge benefit for providers of services to use Ethereum. Imagine how easy something like collections becomes when have a dapp to process your payments properly.
>>
The answer to your question is that you can have varying degrees of centralization. You can have certain things on the blockchain and other things running on private closed-source software.

There's also ways to prove things without revealing certain information that you want to keep private. Look up zkSNARKs.
>>
Usually Dapps will have their own coin, and a dev presumable has a shit-ton of these coins. If the project is successful, he gets rich.
>>
>>2027997
>So they have to pay out of their own pocket to create a valuable project for everybody to use.

Devs make free software and open source every single day.

The rewards? I dunno how bout a 6 figure salary and in-demand job prospects
>>
>>2028261
Creating free software to showcase your skill as a developer in order to prove your value may help you get a great job normally, but if future developers are working hard creating dapps, surely all that quality decentralized software is negatively affecting centralized software companies. If the people can just use dapps rather than paying for software the normal way, normal software companies will start to decline. Either they start getting into Ethereum which is designed to against centralization and making it hard make money, or they continue making normal software in a declining market as everything is popping up on Ethereum.
>>
Yes ethereum is deeply and fundamentally flawed. Please sell your ether so the price goes down so i can buy a piece of the future please and thank you
>>
>>2028351
You may be able to make money on Ether as it blows up and goes mainstream because of the initial hype and potential people see in it as the next internet, but when reading about Ethereum, how many times have you read that "Ethereum is so complex that even the most experienced with it have difficulty explaining it in plain English"? I've seen that a lot, and it's been very hard for me to find an individual resource that describes Etherium no both a deeper level and in plain English. That may just be because it's very new and people have had time to write much about it, but it shouldn't be this hard to form a decent understanding of what Ether is. But if there is so little plain English material that describes Ethereum deep enough, what are how many people truly understand the workings and hence potential of the platform?
Ether has certainly initially sold people initially on it's concept and possible revolutionary potential, but looking deeper into it, what is the motivation to actually build the dapps if there is little/no money available? The project relies on people being motivated to contribute to the project, but if the core of the project is decentralization, who is going to do build these thousands of highly complex dapps?
If this is indeed a real flaw, then yes, for the next 2-3 years people will likely invest, invest, invest in the potential they see in the project and massively pushing up the value, but eventually the project needs to start delivering and demonstrating that it works, that people WILL build the dapps. Because if the dapps aren't built, ETH will be worth far less, as lots of people are banking on ETH being the currency of the next internet. If it Ethereum doesn't become the next internet, ETH's only purpose is as just another alt-coin and it's value could decrease an extremely large amount.
>>
>>2028454
Too long didnt read
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.