[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth lying on your resume these days?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: 1493710417612.jpg (63KB, 479x377px) Image search: [Google]
1493710417612.jpg
63KB, 479x377px
Is it worth lying on your resume these days?
>>
File: 1493765969611.jpg (52KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1493765969611.jpg
52KB, 720x720px
Yes if you want to make it anywhere. You think these businesses run with the highest level of morality? Think again faggot. It's a doggy dog world.
>>
>>2024892
No.
I was pretty pissed to find out that the only employers interested in me were the ones that I was most humble and honest with. Maybe I'm a bad liar but damn. After being hired for an entry level position and being part of the process for hiring someone for an entry level position (software engineer), I've realized how less important it is that you know everything, because any retard can learn on the job. Businesses just want someone who they can empathize with, know they can teach, and know they can work with.

My university's career services were all about "the perfect resume", "the perfect suit and tie", "the perfect everything" I thought it was all about stretching the truth. Just be a good guy and show that you are at least moderately skilled and the business will see your true value. Don't be memed by business school-tier ethics.
>>
>>2025074
Hope you're right. Gonna start applying for software dev jobs soon.
>>
>>2024892
I got a senior software engineering job right after college by stretching the truth here and there just enough to push me to the next level. 6 figures a year and all at 23 at the time.
>>
>>2025041
if i see another one of you ingrates say "doggy dog" again im going to blow my fucking brains out

DOG EAT DOG
O
G

E
A
T

D
O
G
doggy dog doesnt even make any fucking sense
>>
>>2024892
i stretched my work dates and embellished my job responsibilities. the one thing I've never been asked about though is my GPA, shit's a meme.
>>
>>2025208
How was work life when you first entered? Did anyone question your skills based on what you had said earlier?
>>
>>2025211
I'll make it easy for you anon

It's a doggy dog world out there.

yw
>>
>>2025211
Memes are a doggy dog world.
>>
>>2025222
I started writing software in highschool so while I claimed to be senior level I was more like mid level engineer. Aim for the next step, not huge jumps and they can't really tell the difference. you were an intern but no one really trained you much? then tell them you were a part time engineer and all the things you had to do by your own merit. You call the shots here and there? tell them you had a technical leadership role and bullshit about how you directed the team on some tech.

>>2025219
this is pretty much how you do it, stretch dates and really make it sound like you had responsibility for things or made impacts which can be tied to dollar amounts, obviously the best thing you can do is say "i did a thing that made us $X" but more likely you will be able to claim something "saved us x% space" or "x% CPU average load" I would just pull numbers out of my ass and put them on there from things I did in the past if you can really wing it in the interview and get them to believe it is true.

One of the other benefits I've had other than prior experience was just reading stuff online about latest trendy whatever, and messing around with it just because I'm interested, then you can claim to be an expert in specific things and bullshit about them for a few minutes to people.

All that said if you have 0 experience you need to grind from the bottom a bit just like everyone else.
>>
>>2025074
the problem with the "perfect" resume is that there is an undertone of honesty to the matter which is not helpful when hordes of indian are extremely dishonest about their experiences and show up completely unknowledgeable in whatever the hell they put on their resume. then yours is the only one that gets thrown in the trash and a bunch of designated get a chance at a position you were probably more qualified for. These people will get kicked out of the country if they don't get a job they'd probably kill you for it if they could get away with it.

no one at a university even understands this or is willing to help you figure out how to navigate this because everyone there has their heads so far up their asses they believe in idealized worlds where people are 100% honest and don't take advantage in these ways.

your experience with acting humble and honest signals to whoever you are interviewing with that you aren't bullshiting them which is something that they probably try and avoid but stretching things that are reasonable to stretch is always going to work in your favor at the time they pick resumes.
>>
>>2025219
Exactly the same here. Just left my GPA off and its never come up
>>
>>2025284
I also started writing software in highschool. The thing is though; I'm rusty as fuck. I have barely programmed at all during the last year due to taking mostly economics courses. I hope people won't think I'm a fraud if I struggle a bit in the beginning.
>>
>>2024892

Stretch truth but dont lie cuz they can always verify stuff

literally just finished an interview today and got a good job in finance. Always look the part, people judge on how you look. Get a good suit, haircut and watch(at least 100 dollar watch or more if you can afford it). It helps alot.
>>
>>2024892
Lying is only good if you're clever enough to pull it off.

https://youtu.be/vn_PSJsl0LQ

>>2025474
>cuz
>alot
Grammar and spelling also help.
>>
>>2025485
>cuz
>alot
>Grammar and spelling also help.

caring about grammar on a chink board

hows it feel to be autistic?
>>
>>2025500
If basic grammar and spelling aren't automatic and effortless you're either a child or a mental midget.
>>
>>2025474
>Get a good suit, haircut and watch(at least 100 dollar watch or more if you can afford it). It helps alot.
This honestly helps imo. I was a graduate assistant when I was getting my master's degree so I had to teach undergrad faggots basic econ. I would just show up in jeans the first few days then realized no one respected or listened to me. Then suit every day for the next two semesters. Or at least collar shirt and dress pants. Haircut too. I had long hair but RIP cut that shit off for a faggot undercut.
>>
>>2024892
Depends, anon. If it's something small like on your references it's not a big deal. Just make sure your stories line up perfectly. Something big like having a degree when you don't is a guaranteed job loss, unless the company you work for doesn't give a shit. A personal story:

>be anon's aunt in 1990
>be a hair dresser that landed a banking job
>lied about credentials and degree on resume
>worked for a few years and moved up to a manager position
>Early 2000s hit and company decides to check every employee, probably due to new technology
>anon's aunt gets fired for lying on her resume

Never know what kind of technology is going to emerge in 10 years that they'll catch you with. It's happened before, it'll happen again. But she did land a job at an insurance company and got promoted to VP shortly after. So maybe it worked out in the long run?
>>
>>2024892

Lying on your resume is only a good idea if you lie to get some experience in a job. And hope you don't get caught.

Case in point:
Get fired from Company A
Apply to Company B and lie.
Apply to Company C and don't lie.
Now you are at Company C with no fears.
Only your time at Company B is risky.
>>
>>2025687

Good story. There was recently a case of a Federal employee getting shit-canned after 20 years on the job for lying on his resume.
>>
>>2025754
Yeah. That's the plan. Anything else is too risky.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.