[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey anon, I just got promoted to manager at a consulting firm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1428979490067.png (152KB, 616x725px) Image search: [Google]
1428979490067.png
152KB, 616x725px
Hey anon,

I just got promoted to manager at a consulting firm and don't want to be one of those POS bosses. What kind of shit did your managers do that you loved/hated?
>>
>>2008589

which firm?
>>
>>2008593
small firm you've probably never heard of it also don't want to reveal identity
>>
>>2008601

What industry consulting?
>>
>>2008589
>if you catch employee doing something wrong I.e arriving late, leaving early, don't go full anal. Talk informally first and if repeated then feel free to go full ballistic
>make rules and intentions clear and concise.
>training is key. Keep updates constantly, especially for new hires.
>>
>>2008659
Management
>>
if you find a guy that can genuinely manage himself he is your asset. Just stay out of his way and treat him as a peer. Don't get hostile from potential competition. You have the job until you fuck it up or leave. It's not a threat he's good.
>>
>>2008691
The first one is key, OP. Never stop being human.
>>
>>2008723
word, bud. I made a list of things I hated that managers did and I'm gonna always keep that around and make sure I don't become that.
>>
>>2008589
Former consultant here. In my opinion, a good boss will adjust their approach based on the level of experience of their report, but for the fresh-out-of-college junior analysts you will be likely supervising, I have the following suggestions:
1. Make sure your reports show you their deliverables/work products at 50% done not 90% otherwise it's difficult to course correct, and it breeds a lot more resentment.
2. After a meeting, send out an (internal) email with any action items that have been agreed to, along with who is responsible (include yourself.)
3. Go for team dinners when onsite (every couple weeks obviously not every single night.) Try to talk about things other than work.
4. Let your reports present to clients, but make it clear who will lead the meeting far in advance.
5. Give praise to your reports in public, give any criticism in private. Never throw a subordinate under the bus, you are responsible when they fuck up.
>>
>>2008852
>5. Give praise to your reports in public, give any criticism in private. Never throw a subordinate under the bus, you are responsible when they fuck up.

Absolutely love this one.
>>
You either be a POS or be the victim of other POS(s)

Being nice is a giant target on your forehead that says "GULLIBLE", "SUCKER", "EASY TO MANIPULATE".

Rule your underlings or else they'll rule you.
>>
>>2008897
I think I'm going to interpret this as "be nice to people if they can be responsible, and be wary of people who will take advantage of you because lazy fucks like this exist and thrive off of weak managers"

Solid advice, I'm not generally a spineless person and am not really afraid to call someone out for taking advantage of people. I'll stay vigilant.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.