[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bull market in grains?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

File: wheat.png (144KB, 1680x1244px) Image search: [Google]
wheat.png
144KB, 1680x1244px
I've been reading into agricultural commodities since I want to try my hand with a couple of ETFs and I noticed that there's a really strong downward trend in most soft commodities (along with most hard commodities as well, but that's beyond the point).

Is there any chance for a bull market in grains? It seems like technological advancement courtesy of GMOs and other similar technologies have boosted crop yields which have probably caused prices to go down so much, but what about long-term concerns over water availability? Could we see large droughts in the Great Plains that could cause a surge in prices or a water crisis around wells in the Midwest having lower yields and causing issues over water availability? These are just two potential ideas, are there any other possibilities for a bull market in grains? Or will technological advantages continue to advance with more research in stuff like CRISPR in plants (https://ensia.com/voices/crispr-is-coming-to-agriculture-with-big-implications-for-food-farmers-consumers-and-nature/).
>>
File: corn.png (140KB, 1680x1244px) Image search: [Google]
corn.png
140KB, 1680x1244px
>>2006847
>>
adjusting for inflation is a meme.
>>
File: wehat.png (153KB, 1680x1244px) Image search: [Google]
wehat.png
153KB, 1680x1244px
>>2006878
The graphs were from the piece I found, here are some other ones they had if they help.
>>
File: corn.png (125KB, 1680x1244px) Image search: [Google]
corn.png
125KB, 1680x1244px
>>2006878
Here's the graph for corn
>>
File: soy.png (129KB, 1680x1244px) Image search: [Google]
soy.png
129KB, 1680x1244px
>>2006878
and for soybeans
>>
File: Favorite-1.png (70KB, 977x498px)
Favorite-1.png
70KB, 977x498px
Commodities have been the unparalleled worst performer among ALL asset classes for the last 10 years, and the rock-bottom performer for the last several years running.

I get the concept of investigating downtrodden investments, but you couldn't pay me to invest in commodities as they stand right now.
>>
>>2007184
Judging from the article i read, it sounds like the combination of CRISPR and RTDS will effectively be GMOs on steroids. RTDS was used on a crop of rapeseed (used to make vegetable oil) making it immune to herbicides, allowing increased pesticide use.

Combining that with the fact that oil prices will pretty much entirely remain low because shale drillers can just turn on the tap at $60/bbl+ and banks seem fine throwing cash at them, their transportation costs will also remain low for the foreseeable future.

The only thing I could see influencing them would be climate change, but even if one accepts the proposition as true, looking at what people like Al Gore said in the 90s and comparing it to today, we don't really have a timetable on its effects so investing purely on that would be a poor decision.

Guess there are no other cheap assets out there except crypto or something.
>>
>>2007184
What's the source on this graphic?
>>
>>2006890
>>2006893
>>2006904
>>2007184

all inaccurately ignorant yet well meaning nonsense.
http://www.macrotrends.net/

http://www.macrotrends.net/2532/corn-prices-historical-chart-data

http://www.macrotrends.net/2534/wheat-prices-historical-chart-data

there is much money (millions, hundreds of millions tens and hundreds of billions) to be made (and lost) buying and selling these commodities and futures at peaks and valleys based on historical values.
>>
CORN BABY!!!!!
>>
Interesting thread OP. I hadn't even considered things like CRISPR having furthered influences on the general downward trend of food commodities. I think you're also right that water will be the thing to restrict production, eventually. Population growth of the third world is also another thing to consider.
>>
Okay good thread now how do i profit from this?
>>
The reason is there's too much corn in the US. I don't know the reason for the others
>>
File: datass.jpg (45KB, 444x464px) Image search: [Google]
datass.jpg
45KB, 444x464px
>>2008059
buy low sell high, faggot.
man up and puppet master mind a massive dry shipping trade embargo .
you still think this is a fucking game?
>>
>>2008216
>buy low sell high, faggot.
and people repeating that saying is how we actually make money. the game is in selling low and buying lower / buying high and selling higher, while you stupid fucks get caught trying to catch the low/high.
>>
>>2006847
are you the actual macrotourist
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.