[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Helping others with their debts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: debt-slave.jpg (171KB, 2700x1692px) Image search: [Google]
debt-slave.jpg
171KB, 2700x1692px
Is it considered rational to help a good friend pay off their debts, specifically student debt? Not loaning, but giving.

This is assuming you get to a good spot financially.
>>
Yes. If it doesn't hurt you and they are that good a friend then I can't see why not.
>>
Depends. Will they become a leech?
>>
Rational implies you have an ulterior motive or another reason than your morality

But if you feel rational, I've got some debts myself, please feel free to donate 0x152C9C104e31fF7E7eD2FEfd9c69704c5B4739f4
>>
>>2002488

Nope.
>>
>>2002492
i only have debt that makes me money.
>>
>>2002478
It's fine, but only if you're sure your friend won't start leeching more money from you.
>>
Yeah if its a blood relative that has drive, morals and you actually like them on a personal level

Otherwise no, never give people money for free its not good for them or for you
>>
>>2002478
No, it's not rational from a strictly financial perspective.

However, neither is philanthropy, unless you consider tax breaks in your calculations (and, strictly speaking, giving money to your friend with no expectation of return is philanthropy without the benefit of tax breaks).

Economics recognizes this, which is why there is the concept of "utility"; at some point, your desire to have more money personally is overtaken by the opportunity cost of having something else instead of that money.

At any rate, do what you want, don't listen to 4chan's advice as it relates to your relationships with your friends.
>>
>>2002478
No it's not.

The friend has debt that they cannot pay down themselves because of irrational choice.

You are teaching your friend that they can continue their irrational choices.
>>
If you've calculated that giving this friend money will pay off later, be it via reciprocated gifts or establishing useful connections, then yes. If not, no.

I mean I guess there's always the possibility that the warm tender feelings of helping a friend in need are legitimately more valuable to you than money, but... like, what? WHAT?
>>
I think the smartest way to do it would be a matching program. Pay half if they pay half, make them at least partly responsible so even if they flake out you can feel like you gave them a good chance.
Jew's used to do a jubilee, where they would forgive all debt every ten years or so and everyone knew the date. It's the best policy because a certain amount of people should have never gotten loans in the first place, so this reduces their market exposure.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.