[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Want to work in finance - help needed desperately

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

I recently got an internship offer (after lots of looking) for an administrative support position at a big HR company. Will this be value adding to my CV, knowing that I enjoy finance (but for the love of me can't find any short internships in it, outside of the big finance institutions of course but they rejected me) and hope/desperately want to end up working at a bank/fund later in life?

At first I was interested but now see that the requirements of this job were literally open to high school grads - I'm a honours student with great grades, on my way to cum laude, have done some teaching in Africa and organised lectures for my university throughout this year. Frankly I don't know if it'll help my CV out or if im better off studying for GMAT (which i can't do right now, although i don't need to do it since Belgium universities allow me to follow a Masters studies anywhere in the country without it). doing an LSE Summer School or even going volunteering again.

I would really appreciate help regarding this choice or what to do in general in order to optimise my CV... It puts a great stress on me since summer is approaching and I need to decide soon. Thanks for reading guys.
>>
This question is overbroad. You need to know which type of position, department, yada yada yada.

Either you have god tier charisma, know someone (yay nepotism) or you have a specialized degree - MBA, JD, or even a fucking PHD in math in some circumstances. If you want to expand your CV, recognizable corporate positions will help. As nauseating as it sounds, it's about building a narrative, and then manipulating it. "I wanted to be in a people facing role, so I took this as a summer job."

But fuck me I'm just a finance lawyer.
>>
>>2000332
Thx for the reply mate I appreciate it. I'd like to work in M&A or risk control, find them both very interesting roles. I know they are extremely competitive hence me anxious about actually upgrading my CV during the summer.

Would you say this administration internship is worth it, or is something else better for me? (if i havent named it yet feel free to suggest what you think is better, im all ears)
>>
Yeah the more corporate the position you can find the better. If this is your only option take it. At least it's a resume item.

But know that a huuuuge source of jobs is summer associate positions for grad students that typically end in offers if you fit in. You'll bust your ass and intern (all the while paying for it b/c you're getting credit). Compliance positions are lucrative[ish], but can be a career death sentence. If this is undergrad just pick something you don't have to explain.

Your focus should be what can help get a scholarship at a good grad school. Congrats on killing it with grades, that will 100% help.
>>
>>2000393
Correction - I meant intern during school to land the summer associate position and further build your (ugh) narrative.
>>
>>2000407
>Congrats on killing it with grades, that will 100% help.

Hey thanks, actually made me feel good. :) Been a while. It is indeed an undergrad internship but its during the summer holiday of my 2nd year.

Indeed I also think I should pick it up just to get some corporate experience noted down. On the other hand, I talked to a friend who's dad works at a big bank (he got an internship through him, couldn't do anything for me :)) and he told me that I'd have to be careful since noting down an administrative position could signify incompetence to future employers - that I might be better off at ANYTHING else just to not show banks that I was fine with being an office support mouse for a few weeks.

But then again the kid has no real corporate experience so far. Would you say it really indeed shows a bad picture to future employers or is he lying out of his ass?
>>
>>2000139
>desperately
You WILL gobble my benis
>>
>>2002163
If it gets me a nice job sure mate no homo.

As for the other thing, would you say me taking up the support internship is of added value to my CV?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.