[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

UK HOUSING MARKET

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: houses.jpg (266KB, 1200x670px) Image search: [Google]
houses.jpg
266KB, 1200x670px
UK has serious problems with available housing being stupidly expensive and nowhere near enough new houses being built. I have to write an investigation into why this is for school and all the information i can find is shit and vague or just stupid articles on the independent about 'muh evil tories'. I know there are some real economic reasons why houses in the UK are so expensive (despite not actually being very good) and none are getting built but I just can't find any information.
>does anyone have any insight on this?
what are your thoughts about this situation also any other ideas about the housing crisis
sources would be greatly appreciated
>>
You've already answered it in the first sentence, supply<demand

Investigate why, most of it will be political reasons
>>
>>1987682
manchester seems to be very cheap
>>
>>1987682
>what are your thoughts about this situation also any other ideas about the housing crisis

If you can't afford it then either get a better job or don't buy a fucking £300k house on a £20k salary in the first place. Jesus, how the fuck is this so hard to understand...
>>
Foreign investors making the prices inflate and MP's won't do anything about it because they all have 2nd homes in London worth a £mil+
>>
>>1987682
Asset inflation my dude. Google that shit.
Also the rise two income households. Obviously the fundamental cause is more money chasing a fixed supply.
>>
>>1987682
Zoning regulations and NIMBYs, at least that's been the source of major historical issues in minor US cities.

Density, transportation infrastructure, and foreign investment (market manipulation for the cynical) are all other major factors, but the whole system is very complicated and the degree to which any one factor is dominantly responsible is likely to be region specific.
>>
>>1987767
Wages haven't kept pace for the last 30 years or so. You used to be able to afford a house and support a family on a single income. Now you need 2 full time incomes and STILL struggle to get by. Since house prices are appreciating 4-5% annually on top of inflation in general and wages are nowhere near rising 5% a year, houses become more and more unaffordable every year. As a single person, let's take an average salary of £30k (many are on less than this) and take x4.5 this value (what mortgages typically are) then you get £135,000. Good luck buying a decent house for that. Take my salary of £18k and you're looking at £81,000. I am absolutely fucked mate.
>>
>>1987832
>£81,000

You can buy property for this price in some places. You can buy a house in Stoke for less than £40k and many small houses and studio flats for under £100K.

I bought a small shitty flat in my town for £60k and it really is shit, but now I can save almost £1k a month because I no longer need to pay any rent. Just council tax, energy and general living costs. In a few years I should be able to afford a better place with all the money I'm able to save.

tl;dr, Just buy anything you can afford to avoid paying rent.
>>
>>1987682
Planning policy. tough to get permission to build houses on green land even though everywhere was once green land
and keeping the prices high is a vote winner for the 40+ ages, those without property arent as strong for vote winning until it leads to revolt
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.