[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gridcoin - Rewarding BOINC Computation!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: grc-logo.png (93KB, 241x242px) Image search: [Google]
grc-logo.png
93KB, 241x242px
What do you think of Gridcoin?

It rewards volunteer distributed computation performed upon the BOINC platform (world community grid, seti@home, gpugrid, etc) on top of Proof of Stake.

Think Golem and iEX are interesting? Whilst they may tout visions of decentralized computation you're limited to the computation their platform supports where as when you run a BOINC server you can distribute literally any kind of distributed computing application (suh as Tensorflow, Apache Spark, Map Reduce, etc).

If you want to distribute work, you need to pay up front on the Golem and iEX networks. When you operate a BOINC project you pay nothing for your volunteers (you only need to consider the cost of hosting a server) and the Gridcoin network will reward the volunteers on your behalf.

What about the sheer size of the BOINC community? Team Gridcoin currently has 12k users & 100k hosts at its disposal (#1 team in the world now) yet Gridcoin is currently only rewarding approx 0.5% of the active BOINC network; there's approx 500k active BOINC users and 4 million registered. The amount of disposable computing power within the BOINC network is staggering.

When the Gridcoin network removes the mandatory team requirement, the network aims to scale from 12k users to between 500k and 4million users. Let's assume that 50k of the 500k active users join the network and purchase 1k GRC each to stake with (since you need to stake to earn BOINC rewards), there's currently not enough coins on exchanges to supply such a demand (moon).

Ever thought about creating a commercial cloud computing service without any of the backing computer resources? It's possible with BOINC.
>>
I think there is ample opportunity for further market penetration! Sounds like a lot of untapped potential Gridcoin users are already at large
>>
"When the Gridcoin network removes the mandatory team requirement, the network aims to scale from 12k users to between 500k and 4million users." That's the key: remove the mandatory team requirement, because Gridcoin is more than a BOINC team, it's a cryptocurrency network!
>>
File: photo_2017-03-22_12-33-39.jpg (43KB, 674x461px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2017-03-22_12-33-39.jpg
43KB, 674x461px
Looks good to me, anon. I'm sold. Way better than that shit attempt at doing this with Golem. Who or why the fuck would you think you need Ethereum to do what Gridcoin already does? Or even build the bullshit they call Golem on top of it?

Looks like Gridcoin had been doing all that and more for years and even has had a community behind it has existed before Bitcoin.
>>
>>1980373
I might buy some.
>>
>>1980373
i own it for months but here's the problem: boincs are motherfucking impossible to get connected to and the website is the most autistic shit ever

make it accessible like bitbean and it'll have a chance. right now it's geared towards l337 haxxors too much and its price shows.
>>
>>1980786
The BOINC community has been around for over 11 years at this point with users from all around the world in hundreds of teams with their own sub-communities. The fact that the community is so well established has been a difficult roadblock for Gridcoin, as the mandatory team requirement has made Gridcoin an 'enemy/competitor' rather than a utility that they can all utilize. It'll be very interesting to see just how large the Gridcoin community can become when this barrier is removed, and whether project administrators will open up to increased Gridcoin integration.

Regarding Golem, SONM and iEX - they've all performed ICOs on the ETH platform so tokens are currently held by investors with an unknown amount of computing power (they potentially have a lack of computing power at their disposal), where as Gridcoin has been distributed based on proportional BOINC computation thus we have both quantifiable computing power and have distributed tokens to those with computing power instead of investing power.

If anyone is able to decentralize a BOINC server, we can add it to Gridcoin's project whitelist.

In terms of competing directly against Golem, SONM and iEX, we need to establish a gridcoin:computation market - this could potentially be done through the open source gridcoin pool kit: https://github.com/bryhardt/grcpool
>>
do you think this autistic attempt at shilling is going to work on anyone?

It's sad your wasting your time on this shit when you could be doing something productive.
>>
>>1980863
>boincs are motherfucking impossible to get connected to

What do you mean? Do you mean that your computer was unable to connect to the individual BOINC project servers for work? Are you behind a firewall? Using a proxy/Tor?

>website is the most autistic shit ever

The Gridcoin website? Yeah it could do with being completely revamped to look as professional as our competition.

Or do you mean the BOINC website?

>and its price shows
Indeed, up 140% in the last 3 months, 80% in the last month. The recent spike to an ATH was pretty cool.
>>
>>1980879
I am indeed procrastinating from important tasks IRL, however that's on me. Are you not yourself wasting your time on 4chan, no?

If you don't like the thread you can always hide/ignore it.
>>
File: ni.jpg (30KB, 270x270px) Image search: [Google]
ni.jpg
30KB, 270x270px
bump
>>
File: ico.gif (174KB, 320x264px) Image search: [Google]
ico.gif
174KB, 320x264px
>>1980863
>>
>>1981191
ICO to back a BOINC project? Plausible.. there wasn't one for GRC though.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.