[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is opening a spices, nuts and general dry-store items a good idea?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: _DSC9485[1].jpg (390KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
_DSC9485[1].jpg
390KB, 1000x667px
Is opening a spices, nuts and general dry-store items a good idea?
>>
>>1969560
Where? If you're at a public market or tourist district it might work well, otherwise you're fighting against the natural tendency people have to consolidate their food shopping to one grocery chain, once a week.
>>
>>1969577
Not necessarily. Upmarket specialization. near my house there's a store that's been there for years that sells nothing but nuts (actually, that's a good name!). I assume it would also do well near an Arabian neighborhood because a lot of their deserts have nuts in them right?

Like any business OP it all depends on your marketing position: who are the people who are nuts for nuts, and how can you own the mindshare for their nuts. Then you need to think about suppliers, which varieties are worth holding in inventory, what's the ration between holding stock and the margin you can charge...

I suggest going around the neighborhood you're thinking of setting up show in and going into stores that sell spices, nuts or whatever, looking at what their offering, seeing which product moves fastest, and then even ding some targeted google research to see if there are any recipes that are popular in your geographical proximity that are as of yet under-serviced by other nuts and spices vendors
>>
>>1969577
How about a street full of restaurants?
They consume a ton of spices, so offering a nearby area for their needs might be a good idea.
>>
>>1969560
unless u plan on accepting bitbean as payment yes otherwise no it will not be a good investment
>>
>>1969591
If there are restaurants in the area where you want to do business, go inside and talk with the owner or general manager and feel out the market. Ask them if there was anything they would like better from their current options. Maybe they need better quality or region specific spices that their current vendor isn't supplying. Do some research.
>>
>>1969591
>They consume a ton of spices, so offering a nearby area for their needs might be a good idea.
Depends. Are you prepared to wholesale spices to them and compete on price with other wholesalers? Or is your angle more being an 'artisan' provider? In the latter case I'd see this as more of a B2C business instead of a B2B.

>>1969584
I think this works in an ethnic setting where there's enclaves of shops all together, because the consumers are primed with the expectation that they will go in there to buy different foodstuffs and they plan on going to multiple nearby markets. I don't see it working in a strip mall or random city street downtown.
>>
>>1969560
Selling retail to the public is a terrible idea. Selling food retail to the public is even worse.

The only way it makes sense is if you purchase the building and use the business to pay the mortgage. You won't make any money, but at the end of 30 years you'll be a millionaire anyways. By selling the building.

otherwise forget it.
>>
>>1969560

>opening a physical store

Don't bother. Just sell special order products online and pay 1% of the startup cost.
>>
>>1969560
You can forage or grow them and sell them to companies. Its not too bad
>>
not in America
>>
>>1969686
An online spice store sounds like a much better idea, with much less risk.
>>
Add coffee to that mix and your good to go. There's a company in Cyprus that does this it's got about 10 shops across the island i forgot the name now
. Its a good business model but the coffee is most important
>>
>>1969560
If it's super specialized and in a big city then I could see it working. Maybe do some market research and see if there's demand for it?
>>
anytime I go to these types of stores they do nothing but disappoint with their small selection of stale items they've been trying to get rid of for months
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.