[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pacific Northwest Real estate Investment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: rutger-hauer-hobo.jpg (82KB, 650x433px) Image search: [Google]
rutger-hauer-hobo.jpg
82KB, 650x433px
I have not been able to find a decent job since I received a DUI over a year ago. My father wants to match me with $125,000 for a down payment on income producing real estate, so the company would be around $250,000 cash.
$250,000 barely goes anywhere in the bay area, and north coast california (humboldt/mendocino) is one of the most depressing economic environments on the West Coast.

We have traveled up to Portland and Seattle area a couple times, and have looked a lot of different areas via google earth, city-data, loopnet, and other places.

It seems like $250,000 down payment can buy some decent income producing real estate in Portland, and Seattle outskirts (Bremerton, Everett, Tacoma).

Do you think a large building with little land in a Downtown area of Portland, or buying single family homes in one of the cheaper outskirts of Seattle, would be better for a beginner real estate investor (I have about 9 years of experience in investing, but 0 in real estate).

Seattle area seems like a much more beautiful area, but the areas I am looking at seem to be military personnel, military contractors, government workers, defense contractors, and military suppliers.
The software/tech worker areas I like for appreciation like Edmonds, Bellevue, and Redmond are a bit out of the cap rate I was looking for.

My impression of Portland was one giant college town, with an economy based on nasty food trucks, mixed drinks, strip clubs, and a medical school.

Seattle has the cool water front, but Oregon/Vancouver has much nicer tax possibilities.
I am planning on transitioning from IT worker, to septic tank pumper / Real estate investor.
>>
I'm not a real estate guru, but I'm curious to hear more about this subject from someone who knows what they're talking about. Bump.
>>
>>1968327
I can't speak for Portland, but Seattle is one of the hottest markets in the country right now. The cap rates are really low, so if you're looking more for current income rather than speculating on prices rising further into the stratosphere, you might be better off looking elsewhere.
>>
>>1968623
yes im aware

I was speaking of bremerton, edmonds, tacoma.
>>
>>1968327
I'm from Vancouver. Place is really booming. My area went from being really po dunk underdeveloped Chick Fil A / MOD Pizza / upscale apartments / etc. With Portland growing less affordable, I feel like you will get a flush of people to the suburbs. It's already happening.
>>
File: 1483838485207.gif (327KB, 834x870px) Image search: [Google]
1483838485207.gif
327KB, 834x870px
>>1968735

Doesnt matter where you buy, it matters that the cost of the finished building is ideally around 50-75 times monthly gross rent (your multiplier you need depends on shit like vacancy rate and amortized roof replacement). The area only matters to the extent of whether you are going to be dealing with nice people or human garbage.

Assuming your credit is decent, with $250,000 in capital you should be able to leverage to at least a $625,000 total investment in property, for which you would need to gross $9,300-12,500 a month to really be making money. If you live in the building you'll be able to leverage even more as an owner occupant.

Pay too much for your building/buildings, you will lose money no matter how well you run your operation. Cannot stress enough, wait for good deals.

>t. landlord
>>
>>1968327
how about you dont buy real estate at an ath and quickly dump all that cash into eth
>>
>>1968327
stay out.

people like you are the reason seattle is unlivable.

just fuck off trust fund california babby communist
>>
>>1968883
California's saturated to shit right now. You cannot stop the Hand by yelling at it.
>>
>>1968327

I've always though that a good beginning property investment idea would be to buy a plot of vacant land and construct a parking garage.

Great turnover if you pick the right spot, and from what I understand it's a pretty cheap structure to build. Almost no maintenance and it can literally be staffed by a robot. No complaining tenants, no late payments. Just drop by and collect the money once in a while and leave a sign with a phone number for people who've lost their ticket etc.
>>
>>1968874
"finished building is ideally around 50-75 times monthly gross rent "

Are you just talking about the building, (ignore value of land)?

>>1968864
Buying a duplex-quad on the washington side, and on the portland side, seems like the ideal 30 year tax situation. You can get the best of both, and own property in both.

Do you think it is still easy to get a mobile home permit, it almost seems cheaper to buy a lot there, and hire a prefab construction company to plop houses on it, than buy some existing new piece of shit.
>>
>>1969532
Yeah, they sound nice, but you must be in a densely populated area like downtown.

I think duplex-4plex is easier for poor beginner like me.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.