[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much fun is being a Locksmith?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: commercial-locksmith-services.jpg (94KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
commercial-locksmith-services.jpg
94KB, 425x282px
I'm training at the moment, as I don't particularly want to be a cowboy who can just drill locks and call it a day, but it would be nice to know how enjoyable and satisfying the trade is. As far as helping people stay secure and safe, the idea already feels pretty fulfilling. But is it a business that is going to make me want to end it all within several years due to bordom. I find lockpicking itself quite fun, but don't imagine it's needed all that much, as usually if you have to get someone into a place it's because they lost the keys, and it's faster and cheaper to just replace the lock.

Also, how dangerous is it? I can imagine getting calls from people 'locked out' of places that aren't theirs. That's a concern.
>>
>>1965117
>locksmith
Lol did I time travel back to the 1800s?
>>
>>1965117
Not gonna make anything with cars. Any tow trug driver can break into almost any car in under 1 minute.
>>
>>1965117
I used to get piss on myself drunk with these 2 locksmith brothers. Theybtried to recruit me but i live the beachbum life on my meager investments.

It seems fun but you gotta have a clean record. I probably could have gone far in it, i technically stil have a ts clearance.
>>
>>1965220

Take a look around your place. How many cheap shitty locks are securing your belongings? Chances are, they are crappy enough that they offer the equivient of being a kid hiding under their blanket of safety. A cheap tumbler based lock can be raked or picked almost silently in under a minute, or even in seconds if lucky.

On a side note, you shouldn't be on this site if you are underage.

>>1965236

True enough, you just offer those same services as an extra on your website. If you even get a few calls in the year the extra know how has paid for itself.

>>1965259

Maybe in the US, but here in the UK you can start a locksmithing business overnight, and there is no legal checks, nor even an official qualification. Most you call out don't even know how to pick a lock; they will just drill it, and install a new one, basic carpentry/DIY any dad could do if his tools weren't locked inside.
>>
>>1965453
>here in the UK you can start a locksmithing business overnight

Here in the US there are strict license / bond requirements, you must have a clean criminal record, and you'll have to be an apprentice under a licensed/bonded locksmith for 2-3 years before you can become a full-fledged locksmith making $40k-$60k per year... It's not worth it at all compared to other skilled trades such as plumbers, electricians, welders, HVAC technicians, etc.
>>
>>1965236

Protip: a skilled, and trained, locksmith will cut you a new car key and program the FOB on site, rather than messily break in.
>>
>>1965468

Wow, that fucking sucks, for once I'm glad to be a brit.
>>
>>1965468
I think it is.

Plumbing - Hard work laying pipes, crawling under houses etc. POOP!

Electrician - Can actually die while doing job because of an idiot turning the electric on.

Welder - This could actually be good, though I heard you have to travel a lot on job-to-job if you want to make any money.

HVAC - Same as plumbing, hard work, crawling under houses, etc.

Locksmith - Seems to be the easiest honestly. Spend 10 mins on a lock while talking to the owner. get paid then leave.
>>
>>1965783

OP here. I was about to argue with you... but honestly you're not fucking wrong. Neither is >>1965468 because fuck all that criteria, but your points don't have to be conflicting.

'Training' for a locksmith can as lax as a little high-school DIY, a driving lisence, and some lockpicking and lock repinning videos on YouTube for a few days. Even 'official training' in the UK is generally just a 2 (for very basic) to 5 (for a 'comprehensive) day course. So, given that, all those requirements sound like bullshit to keep it a super-special club and the market from being oversaturated.

Of course you could argue it also keeps the standards higher, but anyone who really intends to be good at the job isn't going to stop at a 5 day training course. Before I even go on that, it's going to take a while to save, I'm going to be practicing my picking skills all summer, reading various books, watching all the videos on the net about the craft, and I even managed to find PDFs of over twenty years of monthly locksmithing trade magazines I can but on my tablet to read every night.

If I wasn't hoping to profit from how easy it is to get into the career in the UK, if you can afford the initial brief training, then I would likely say a middle ground with what the US does would likely improve the standard of locksmith. That said, it just sounds like a gating method to keep out plebs and ex-cons, who might be wanting to go straight.

It actually makes me wonder what percentage of UK locksmiths would become burglars overnight if we suddenly introduced legislation that put 90% of the market out of work. I mean, just over the last few days I've learned shit like how to open most cheap/standard padlocks with a small rubber mallet tap in just the right place.

I'm still a little wary of the chance of getting blackmailed into crime. "We know where you live, lockboy."
>>
>>1965117
Can anyone unlock my heart?
>>
You want to your question on /DIY/. Usually seems to be some craftsman of about any trade lurking about
>>
>>1965481
Nice! Well over 90% of the cars i cracked had the keys in them but still. Never need or wanr a spare until you can see your keys and not get them.

It's easy enougg though. U can buikd your own kit but they are only $60 on amazon. Theres a chance to bust glass too but i never had problems.

Fuck dodge and fuck your shitty cars and fuck your faggot curved glass you fuckin cucks.
>>
>>1965783
Can confirm all of this. You can make an average or better living tig welding semu trailers or picnic tables and shit but pipelining is where its at
>>
>>1966701

Yeah, good idea.
>>
Whelp, zero comments there. Either there is a mysterious lack of locksmiths on DIY, none saw the post, or as they tend to be in daily life they just don't want any sort of fraternity due to an innate fear of people entering the market. Even if they are a world away on an image board.
>>
>Be locksmith
>be mad how many cheap shitty locks are securing peoples belongings
>put all expensive locks on my shit
>lock myself out
>fuck
>can't open lock, can't pick lock, can't drill through lock
>realize I'm fucked
>get an idea
>call military buddy
>thermites the lock
>lock is fine, house is gone
>thank obama
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.