[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My company offers me to buy stock at a 20% discount. The rate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 1359942203792916773.jpg (57KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1359942203792916773.jpg
57KB, 800x450px
My company offers me to buy stock at a 20% discount. The rate of the stock is fixed ("normal" average of the rate of the stock at last 10 BoD meetings).

I have to keep it for 5 years, and can only prematurely cash out if I die or of I get fired (no intention of doing either).

Max bet is 7.5k (i'm not that loaded btw).

Common sense is saying I only throw some 200 at it, because anything bigger would be dangerous (no diversification is bad).

Does anyone disagree with this?
>>
What industry does the company serve? How large is it? Is it in a growth stage?
>>
>>1942265
Jack of all trades construction firm active in some EU and African countries. They say they're trying to expand

Note: I'm not really qualified to assess whether they're doing "good" or "bad". I'm just wondering whether the 20% discount they give warrants (mathematically?) to forego some of the usual caution.
>>
It basically comes down to "do you expect the company to perform more than 20% worse than the stock market in general over the next 5 years"

Assuming they won't be that shitty, and assuming that you'd dump your excess money into various stocks or stock-based funds anyway, and assuming you don't have any problems with the 5-year wait, then the discount is like them giving you free money. I think the discount trumps diversification.
>>
>>1942240
Is it not possible for you to buy the max 7.5k@ 20% and sell them at 10-5% discount to others?
???
Profit
>>
>>1942277
I'd max it personally, unless you honestly think they'll be tits up in 5 years. Reassess each year, but invest with the understanding that barring significant retraction of the stock value, you're guaranteed a significant ROI.

Is this a new offering your company is giving you? Or have they always done this and you just haven't taken advantage of it before?
>>
>>1942862
This exactly. Plus, if you're only saving $7500 per year you'll never make it anyway. You either need to up your savings rate or make more money (or both)
>>
>>1942277
>I'm not really qualified to assess whether they're doing "good" or "bad".
Just buy index funds. If you don't know if a company is good or not, you're just gambling with your savings.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.