[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Resume Critique General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 17

File: resume crit.jpg (121KB, 598x779px) Image search: [Google]
resume crit.jpg
121KB, 598x779px
Post your resume and critique others

>thinking about changing university activities to university positions
>no one verifies extracurriculars right?
>>
bretty good, I always kek when I see microsoft on resumes
>>
>>1940750
Looks fine, pretty standard engineer's resume with plenty of projects and shit. I would imagine it will land you a few offers
>>
>>1940778
Microsoft Project and Sharepoint should make me stand out a bit since those are actually non-student tools

>>1940780
I feel like it's nothing amazing and may need some extra work or a new format to make it stand out.

Maybe for my internship I can be more descriptive since that's the best thing on it.
>>
File: resugay.png (71KB, 1025x1249px) Image search: [Google]
resugay.png
71KB, 1025x1249px
>>1940750
>>
>>1940750
>objective
Get rid of that shit, we know you're looking for a job

>Microsoft
Get rid of the boring ones, and order that list by how impressive and relevant they are

And fucking left or right justify those dates, don't just leave them hanging in the middle holy shit
>>
>>1940796
>Maybe for my internship I can be more descriptive since that's the best thing on it.
I would agree there, you touch on some stuff that sounds potentially very interesting, maybe expand those bullet points and cut back on the Projects a bit. When you talk about working with a team, companies love that kind of shit, try to make it clear that you are good at communicating with both technical and non-technical colleagues.
>>
File: REDACTED.png (133KB, 748x1026px) Image search: [Google]
REDACTED.png
133KB, 748x1026px
why does nobody want to hire me :(
>>
>>1941047
im OP. desu i think your template is kinda meh. it is minimalist but still a little colorful sure but not that good

I would try to separate your research from your professional experience (i assume those are internships at the top 2)

And those bottom 3 sound like clubs/university organizations?

might be a good idea to remove the math tutor or maybe even the bottom 3 and just expand on your internships/research
>>
File: REDACTED.png (136KB, 850x1100px) Image search: [Google]
REDACTED.png
136KB, 850x1100px
>>1941064
Thanks for the feedback, just realized that its a little bit outdated. Have the tutor position already removed. Bottom 2 are university clubs (makes more sense without the title blurred out).

My formatting is mostly based around being able to squeeze everything into one page, the solution would be to have multiple pages, but I hear thats a big no-no. Combining everything into experience gives me more space.

I would actually like to hear more about your opinion of the formatting. my (biased) opinion tells me that its fine. Anything in particular that makes a bad impression on you?
>>
>>1940836
Fix your formatting. Too much white space. Makes it look plain
>>
>>1941093
Your GPA's low. Better to just leave it out.
>>
Guys, in my country you're usually supposed to finish a college in 4 years.
But it took me 6 years, cause I had to take a 2 year break due to illness. How to denote it?
>>
>>1941109
You only list the year you finished. Don't denote it at all.
>>
>>1941100
Yea I've got a few more projects to finish this month before I graduate to finish and I'll fill it out.
>>
>>1941047
One thing that might be scaring people away is the fact that each of your 'jobs' were like 3 months long. I understand that you were just doing research or whatever, but a recruiter who can barely read English is going to see the dates and bin your resume immediately. Format looks fine, if a little meh.
>>
>>1940796

>Microsoft Project and Sharepoint should make me stand out a bit since those are actually non-student tools

I would drop SharePoint unless you were responsible for admin.
>>
>>1941047
Maybe because you spend about three fucking months in a job.
>>
File: goodresume.jpg (136KB, 812x862px) Image search: [Google]
goodresume.jpg
136KB, 812x862px
No one calls me back either.
>>
>>1941776
>the end
TOPKEK
>>
>>1941776
Add your mom as a reference and every employer will suck your cock to hire you
>>
Is it really common for graduates to strictly keep their resumes on one page?
>>
>>1941967
dude i have two degrees and almost ten years of experience and my shit is one page

at this point i honestly think they put the resumes with the keyword hits in a pile and start calling people in

at least for sales/wholesale/outside rep type of stuff its the 4 full days of interviewing and doing the bs mock presentations that is the real part
>>
Heres a neat little tip.

Add a QR code to the bottom corner of your resume that links to your linkedin profile
>>
>>1940836
This is bad. Why would anyone want to hire you? Also, don't list your GPA on a resume unless it's higher than 3.5. also, never include your GPA if you already have experience in your field if you're not a receipt grad.
>>
File: teehehehe.png (131KB, 1832x1007px) Image search: [Google]
teehehehe.png
131KB, 1832x1007px
>>1941979
two pages are all the rage!
>>
>>1941967
Yes. Anything more will look ridiculous. Recent grads are just looking for an entry level position in their field. You don't need to include every little thing. 2 page resumes really only for people who have extensive senior level management positions from a variety of companies.
>>
>>1941989
There's literally no reason for a help desk moron who hasn't even finished his associates to have a resume that spans more than one page.
>>
>>1941993
LITERALLY do it because i am sexy af and bitches love 2 pages
>>
>>1941979
>>1941991

Well, I've fucked up already.

Fuck my uni and their motivational speakers.
>>
>>1941967
Depends what job you're applying for.

Just ask how many pages they want for each application you do.
>>
>>1941988

Fug, I have a 3.46 GPA...I can't list that?
>>
>>1942005
I want to share some of the things I learned the hardway from "recent grad" to working full time.

Downplay school the second you get experience. If they wanted a "fresh grad" they'd be hiring interns and grooming them.

Get your phone number the fuck off your resume if you don't want pajeet to call you for "informativ techologee" positions for the next 10 years. Same goes for linkedin, dice, etc
While we're talking about email... first.last or some variation @gmail

You are writing your resume for at least three people. 1. Recruiters 2. HR 3. your future manager

1 and 2 are basically going to put your resume in the "try to hire this guy" pile if you have the right keywords and your resume doesn't look funny. 3. is going to try and figure out if you would be good to work with.

Write a "copy pasta" section for your resume and put it at the top of each resume. Write this section for HR/recruiters. This will probably be experience/certs/degree/contact info.

Then write the rest of the resume for the manager specific to the position. From there it should be easy to fit one page as you know the manager doesn't give a shit about 90% of the crap students write on their resumes.

Write a generic resume as well- use this to keep track of your career and apply to jobs you don't really give a shit about.

Its very helpful to make an "i love me" binder or file of all of the things you've done, training, metrics, comments from supervisors/customers on something you did. Use that to build future resumes.
>>
>>1941236
>>1941729
My research is all in the same lab, just different projects. I feel that it's easier to read if I split it up. Also if it wasn't obvious already, I'm about to graduate and I'm looking for entry level. The only work experience that I could get is 3-4 month internships.

>>1941103
>tfw I fell for the "GPA doesn't matter if you have good internships and extra curriculars" meme

I'd love to leave it out desu, but I feel like it's sortof a red flag for entry level positions. They usually ask for my GPA in the actual job app anyways.
>>
>>1941103
Or just lie like any sensible person.

No one actually gives a fuck about your education unless you're 15
>>
>>1942118
Why would you? It's not that impressive. Whether you list it is up to you in the end.
>>
>>1942172
You should definitely keep your phone number on your resume. Leaving it off looks suspicious. The world isn't entirely conducted by email, many things are still done by phone. Not having a ph# will immediately disqualify you.

The only reason pajeets would be calling you is if you are posting your resume to for the public to see on some shit website like monster or career builder. If you're sending it directly to legit companies, you don't have to worry about that.
>>
File: nig resume.png (29KB, 575x737px) Image search: [Google]
nig resume.png
29KB, 575x737px
>>1940750
I've got a problem, I was at a big company doing a shitty job but making ~55k/year, after going back to school I get interviews for Analyst and Supply chain roles but they pay less. Did I make a bad decision?
>>
>>1941776
Excellent
>>
>>1941875

That's actually a pretty good idea. I'll redo my resume.

I will sometimes send this out. No joke.
>>
>>1941988
It's a WIP and I already have a job lined up. I never liked the more is better approach, every recruiter and person who does hiring I've talked to says they don't read all that bullshit.
>>
File: 1486214263667.jpg (178KB, 798x770px) Image search: [Google]
1486214263667.jpg
178KB, 798x770px
>>1941776
Anon that was far and away the funniest fucking thing I've read in at least a year.
>>
File: cv.png (70KB, 687x798px) Image search: [Google]
cv.png
70KB, 687x798px
hows this

contact info and references and shit to come, but the key info is all there
>>
File: 1479916608973.jpg (109KB, 901x883px) Image search: [Google]
1479916608973.jpg
109KB, 901x883px
>>1940836
>>1941047
>>1941989
>>1942967

If you guys are finding it hard to get jobs even with all that experience and skills, then what hope is there for a NEET like me of ever finding a job
>>
>>1942967
>muh buzzwords
Jesus Christ you managed to shoehorn a ton of clutter onto one page
>>
Should I just lie about having my associates?

I'm about to finish, but I'm transferring in the fall and probably won't be able to graduate right now.
>>
>>1941776

I'd hire you as long as you passed all other aspects of the applicant screening process
>>
sophomore looking for /biz/ internship at small company, resume feels too generic but I feel I could smash an interview, applying to real estate group this week
>>
File: st.jpg (55KB, 500x473px) Image search: [Google]
st.jpg
55KB, 500x473px
>>1941776
>tfw my actual resume is barely better than this joke resume and i'm a junior in college
>>
>>1943159

I can't even get interviews with my regular stuff either, so the screening process would shit on me.

>>1943304

My actual resume is worse and highly embellished. Still nothing, and I'm an unemployed loser. Keep up your morale, lad!
>>
>>1942251
> My research is all in the same lab, just different projects.
Reorganize it to reflect this then.
>>
>>1943286
Review your formatting and grammar since you have multiple mistakes.

Also, get rid your high school. It's irrelevant. And add your address.

Those are just the simplest things I could say.
>>
File: Brainletresume.png (35KB, 814x953px) Image search: [Google]
Brainletresume.png
35KB, 814x953px
IDK, how can I make a good resume and what do I do with my fluff space?

I'm just looking for a comfy part-time job that is indoors.
>>
>>1943101
I guarantee you most resumes are just fluffed-up bullshit.

Cashier at McDicks?

You handled the finances for one of the world's biggest companies.

Shitpost on 4chan?

Active Online Community Member.
>>
>>1943340
I kept my high school for resumes I'm submitting to companies in my hometown. I take it out for companies in the Seattle area. Should I just eliminate it all together and change my address depending on the company?
>>
>>1943445
>Should I just eliminate it all together
yes

>change my address depending on the company
never heard of this but most companies ask (willing to relocate)

i figure you are shooting yourself if you say no in any form or even (will not relocate until after x time)
>>
>>1942967
The most recent job has too many bullet points especially for the time you've been employed. 3 is the magic number. It looks like half the bullets are about the api you built, so I would consolidate. Each bullet point should stand on its own and be an accomplishment. Additionally, the final bullet is both vague and doesn't illustrate an accomplishment or even a responsibility, I would leave it out.

You also need space for your Name and contact info. Don't put down references they will ask you for them if it makes it to that stage.
>>
File: redacted.png (70KB, 836x876px) Image search: [Google]
redacted.png
70KB, 836x876px
thinking about grad school or some machine learning meme job

webdev if i burn out
>>
File: :biz:resume.png (218KB, 575x671px) Image search: [Google]
:biz:resume.png
218KB, 575x671px
>>1940750
take off microsoft word in your fucking software skills, just put office

also kind of loathe finance now, I want to switch to business admin or drop out. This shit sucks, barely can keep a 3.2 gpa. Went to a career fair and got one email back. I should've done illustration
>>
>>1940750
Resume looks good OPPORTUNITY.

Anons, how important is GPA on the resume? Is it especially important if I already have a few years of work and business experience?
>>
>>1940750
At Tyler?
>>
>>1944010
Lol I see you're using the JSOM format.

#Whoooosh
>>
>>1944842
Ecs here In op.
>>
>>1943136
i thought HR bimbos love buzzwords

>>1943771
yeah i just wanted to express how much shit ive done at this current company. final bullet point was also to try and get across a load of the 'not engineer' stuff ive done, like you say its pretty vague though so i guess ill cut it

hmm thats interesting about not putting the references on, that might be a culture diff cos we absolutely put references at the bottom of them here
>>
>>1945006
>i thought HR bimbos love buzzwords
You're taking it a bit far. I mean
>Technological experience - object oriented
>Skills / Languages C/C++, Java, Python
It's pretty fucking redundant. Also C and C++ are not even remotely the same skillset, I would call you out for listing them on the same line it makes me think you've just used them once or twice and consider that proficient.

Then shit like Big Data, IoT and Public sector. What the fuck does that even mean given no context? Is this a parody resume? No one is going to believe you are some master of literally 50 bullet points with 3 fucking years experience
>>
>>1941989
>DHCP, DNS, TCIP/IP, RDP, IPv4...

Top fucking kek. Do people actually fall for this? That shit might get you past HR, but the technical manager is going to shit on you and rightly so.
>>
>>1945360
there is some redundancy yeah, i guess i was trying to make it got hooked by the search algos. i tried to have some abstract concepts that people look for, for example whenever i look at adds people have a big list of things theyre looking for and its never particularly specific. but then i give concrete examples of that to prove it later, like OO -> C++ or Multi platform development -> Linux & Win. i mean, i could also write OO and then people expect me to be a C# programmer or something

the product i work on is a bit of a monster, its mostly C++ but also has some C for the really performance intensive stuff. additionally, the main point i was referring to with this was the API i made is in C++ (and Java via JNI), however because of the product's long support cycle and apparently high cost for customers to upgrade their systems, it had to be resistant to us changing shit on our side (eg C++ compiler upgrades). for this purpose, the C++ API all goes through to C code for crossing the boundary so that theres a stable C ABI (which gets around the aforementioned problem). i can see how it might look like how you say though, ill just put them on two different lines

it might have some context if the company names and products werent blurred out but i see what you mean. the 'industry experience' section was supposed to be a list of the industries ive worked in. i could also cut down some stuff but id like people to know im a serious player
>>
>>1944842
Yeah i had to wait in line 2 fucking hours for advising today fuck JSOM
>>
>>1945360
Redundancy is a valid strategy in a resume which is going to be text-mined for specific key words. What happens if the expectation is that you know Redshift, but you put down SQL instead?

Nobody expects you to be a *master* of everything on your resume. If you've used it at work for a project, it's perfectly fine to put it down.
>>
>>1940836
>programming
>SQL, CSS, HTML, PowerShell

These are not "programming" languages. The person reading your resume will see through your desperate bullshit.
>>
>>1941047
Because your resume is too fucking hard to read. Learn your resume, and get rid of all the useless crap.

Recruiters don't care about your experience description and hiring managers will read it at the interview. Make it simple, easy to read and with all the key elements. If you don't have real experience then say so and apply to only entry level. Very little to no companies care about research, that shit is for retards who go into phd. With all that time you should of gotten a part time job related to your career instead of doing research.
>>
>>1942312
Apply at same company for a manager level position. If you left in good terms chances are they will pay you higher for having a degree.
>>
File: UwD72zQ.jpg (604KB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
UwD72zQ.jpg
604KB, 1275x1650px
It's funny when you're so good at something, you get hired with this resume.
You should have studied CompSci and Mathematics with a 3.98 GPA, brethren.
>>
>>1943977
How did you manage to graduate CS without any Java or C#?

Also, bash, HTML, CSS, and databases are not languages. Did you even go to class?
>>
>>1944178
Follow this rule: GPA only if recent grad with no experience and if GPA is high enough to impress Google or Microsoft.
>>
File: resume.png (87KB, 735x687px) Image search: [Google]
resume.png
87KB, 735x687px
I keep applying for a Human Resources internship but haven't heard back from hardly any companies :/
>>
>>1945793
Why did you go for such a shitty degree? :/

The reason why no company calls you is because they probably have another 50 applicants before you with the same resume.
>>
>>1945803
You're probably right, my GPA is only a 3.16 too. Started off as an honors student and lost a lot of motivation and focus.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.