[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Amazon Technical Screeners

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Ameribear is not amused.gif (413KB, 624x352px) Image search: [Google]
Ameribear is not amused.gif
413KB, 624x352px
Question: Are they replacing all the workers with native English proficiency, or just all the ones I get assigned interviews?

I recently took a screener for a low-level position in Amazon and had to translate broken English via an echo-y speakerphone. He simply did not understand when I asked "what are the requirements?"

At this rate, even if I do make it to the next round, I'm considering opting out. If that's indicative of their standards, I can study harder and keep applying elsewhere.
>>
They seek to completely automate the hiring process

About how they treat regular workers I've heard it depends on the team.

The general direction seems to be that everyone is disposable and milk you for all your worth.
I'm sure it's decent as a developer if you still get paid a lot
>>
>>1930535
I wouldn't be paid a developer salary. I don't have a CS degree, so no matter what I have in a portfolio, no one trusts you with anything more advanced than "FizzBuzz."
>>
>>1930538
Well obviously the more in demand you are the better they will treat you.You'll have to feel that out yourself. If you've only interacted with outsourced 3rd worlders and have spent X hours of your own time, its not really a positive thing.

While the interview process is outright bizarre, and the notion of doing a million coding tests and many rounds of interviews sounds awful, if you're willing to put up with it and don't have many other options it would probably be a good thing to have on your resume.

I work at a big corp and while they didn't put through any bullshit during the interview, I did face a dilemma of small company or big company. I'm glad I went with the big corp, for better or worse the name brand helps, and I hope it will help when I eventually get bored enough to chase bigger ambitions (starting my own /biz/ness)
>>
>>1930576
I'm willing to put up with it because it's what I've been doing for two years. I was laid off from a .com less than a year into a full-time position and even getting the time of day in Seattle is a fucking nightmare.

I've done whiteboard practice. I've drilled from Cracking the Coding Interview. If the best I have for a soundboard is someone who answers "Yes" when you say the instructions make no sense, all the practice on Earth won't help.
>>
>>1930581
>I'm willing to put up with it because it's what I've been doing for two years.
Opportunity is opportunity, just don't forget how they treated you like shit when something better comes along.

>even getting the time of day in Seattle is a fucking nightmare.
That's surprising, is it cause no CS degree? Or just general downturn?

>I've done whiteboard practice. I've drilled from Cracking the Coding Interview.
You're doing the right thing. Sad to say that practicing meme questions is a better use of time than any learning real skills.
>>
>>1930608
> That's surprising
There's a talent glut, even in QA. They aren't even bothering with non-local candidates unless they're god-tier.

I'm not quite god-tier, though it baffles me people consider learning a new coding language difficult. Take a few weeks to learn the particulars, sure, but there wasn't much difference between Java or C#, and JavaScript is VERY forgiving. Why would you need three years' experience in anything as an entry-level tester?

Especially around Seattle, all of the job requirements for a position that should be "So, you know how to write a unit test?" are "HOW MANY TASK RUNNERS HAVE YOU LEARNED IN THE LAST THREE MINUTES AND CAN YOU CONVERT THEM TO COLDFUSION?"

I suspect they're so used to catching wash-outs from Amazon and Microsoft's internship program their expectations of framework exposure is skewed.
>>
>>1930622
Well good luck man. Know that coding bootcamps don't teach people to code as much as they teach them to network. Try to sell yourself as a ruby or node guy or dev ops or something else instead.
And with a lack of hard qualification (degree, etc) you will have so much better luck at small companies. No matter how relaxed a team is at a big company, they still have hr requirements and red tape that will never go away.

I do QA (on network gear) and am afraid of it being a hard label to shake. But at the end of the day it comes down to how you sell it. I advertise the skills required to do my job right as opposed to the actual job title.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.