[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is working on offshore platforms as good as it appears or is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: nice nice nice.jpg (144KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
nice nice nice.jpg
144KB, 1200x800px
Is working on offshore platforms as good as it appears or is there a catch? The pay is massive. I'm young and autistic so don't care about spending weeks away from friends or family.
>>
>>1924388
The catch is that you live fucking on board an oil platform in the mid of the ocean.

And if you're autistic, you won't fit in. You'll be stuck with a bunch of guys who dont like you.
>>
>>1924406
The other catch is that the oil industry is in a secular decline due to low oil prices, fracking, and hybrid/electric vehicles. Not sure where offshore pay/rig count will stabilize at.
>>
ive met people who love it esp the schedule of 2 week on 2 weeks off. if you're autistic it would prob help you socially as long as you're white.
>>
>>1924406
>The catch is that you live fucking on board an oil platform in the mid of the ocean.
Who cares, sounds comfy. So long as there's internet.
>>
>>1924425
>>1924388
this

also

>>burning to death
>>maiming yourself with machinery
>>getting crushed by gigantic drill bits
>>underwater welding accident
>>
>>1924431
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ToGfp9sunw

Big deal, people die at work every day. Every profession has its hazards.
>>
I do it, currently on my off week. The pay is not "massive" - the reason why a lot of the guys say that is because they are from some shit town in Georgia where everyone they know is trying to get by on $5/hr. To them, this money is massive. This generally means this person is southern trash, which 90% of the people here are.

The reason why the pay is decent is because you can't leave. You work 14 to 21 days, 12-14 hours a day. At $20/hr, thats good money but you don't work every week in the month and most guys are hourly, not salary.

For about every 4 or 5 guys, you have 1 boss. For every 2 bosses, there is another boss. If you aren't an engineer, then you are the lowest of the low. All of the people in charge generally fight over you because there is more of them than there are of you. Only way they can stand out is by catching you fucking up or getting you to fuck up. Most contractors/labor types don't last more than a year or two. You eventually fuck up, and you will get caught because there are 40 sets of eye-balls on you. I was working on a ladder and I was on the third rung. I put my foot up on the fourth rung to shift my back (I was standing on it for 6 hours straight) and I had 3 people come up and yell at me. My harness lanyard was connected to a rotting I-beam, if I fell I would have landed in the ocean and probably died on impact if I wasn't strangled by my own harness. But to them, me putting a foot on the 4th rung of a ladder was a big no-no and then they fought over who gets to put my write-up into the computer. (I had to get a lawyer to call H.R., that's how seriously lopsided this shit is)

Also, there isn't a bunch of tool pusher and general labor types anymore. 3/4ths of the guys here are from the military and they got along by pushing their weight and bickering and they do them same in this industry. Right now HR for a lot of the bigger guys have put forth a "no ex-military rule" so the good news is that this shit might improve here soon.
>>
>>1924388
>0 transferable skills
>work literally all day, 14+ hours
>nothing to do in spare time
>work around low iq aggressive fuck-ups
>no way to advance
>nothing resembling a normal life

You are throwing your life away if you do this. You may think you're "autistic," but you fucking aren't. You are going to regret it
>>
>>1924683
What about having a different experience even if temporary and not so pleasant but challenging. And money can be accumulated for the prospect of creating a (((business)))
>>
>>1924683
What a stupid perspective, no offense.
>>
>>1924734

I'm interested too. Like shit I still have a few grand in the bank working overtime at a warehouse for a few months half a year ago. If I could last that long on an oil-rig I'd come out nicely.
>>
>>1924406
>And if you're autistic, you won't fit in. You'll be stuck with a bunch of guys who dont like you.
This
>>
>>1924439
Then fucking do it motherfucker. Why do you ask here if you've already made up your mind?
>>
>>1924406
>year of our lord
>not using your autism to isolate yourself on an oil rig surrounded by hundreds of angry horny men with no women for months and years on end
wew lad
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6bZOyinZwQ
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.