[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What tips do you have for making it as a musician? I spend a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (226KB, 750x750px)
image.jpg
226KB, 750x750px
What tips do you have for making it as a musician?

I spend a few hours a day honing my songwriting craft, and I want to make it more than just a hobby.

How do I amass an audience and make money?
>>
>>1921783
>Construct an image, to paraphrase Lemmy "I don't get what's with all these kids playing in flannels while looking at their shoes. If you want to play rock n'roll you got to look like something from outer-fucking-space!"
>Now you understand the appeal all rock music from Little Richard, to David Bowie, to Poison
>Start organizing gigs, think about merchandise, band extensions: look at online stores for Judas Preist and Iron Maiden. Look at the endless Misfits merchandise
>Develop a following: think about Apple and their cultish following, except instead of Apple Stores and Keynotes you have live-gigs where you sell merch.
>Maybe buy a bus, paint it, snapchat the fuck outta your adventures
>>
>>1921788
Hey thanks this actually quite useful advice
>>
Learn how to write a catchy fucking chrous. Study all the pop hits of the past 40-50 years.
>>
a few hours a day? tell me more anon i am a musican that puts more than a few hours in a day, paint me ur current life picture rn and i'll help
>>
>>1921783

Have a backup plan.

Learn music production and stage production.
>>
File: rocknroll.jpg (95KB, 501x727px) Image search: [Google]
rocknroll.jpg
95KB, 501x727px
youtube. how do you think the Beibs got started? this can give you a reach of millions. fuck hauling your equipment all over the place to play gigs for 10 alcoholics. team up with a director with great video editing skills. yes image is VERY important. youre going to need to wear pants like pic related and wear dresses like pic related, or have another good gimmick such as space aliens or insane clowns in a posse.

>>1921827
this gotta have a catchy chorus. make sure you mostly listen to top 40 hits. straightedge goregrind doesnt pay the bills anymore, kid.

youre going to need compelling lyrics that tell a story and appeal to the lowest common denominator so you can trick cornball normalfags into liking your music. read books about the craft of songwriting. study Jungian archetypes so you can portray the types of familiar stories and characters that listeners are used to relating to from countless songs books and movies.

>t. multi-platinum selling recording artist who just shoots dope and posts on 4chan all day
>>
You better be attractive as well.
>>
>>1923091
not necessarily. look at Slipknot.
>>
>>1922189
Well I'm a college student, so most days I can only fit in a few hours. On weekends, however, I like to spend around 8 hours in a practice room
>>
>>1923088
Prove that you're a multi-platinum recording artists
>>
>>1923399
(8hours a day, not total)
>>
>>1923405
i can't right now, i have to leave for a meeting with my booking agent and then go fuck some supermodels. best of luck, anon!
>>
>>1921808
No worries, if you have any more questions I'll be happy to offer what limited knowledge I can

>>1921827
>Study all the pop hits of the past 40-50 years.
Nugget of wisdom there. You can opt famous chord progressions to make something new but nostalgic, make sure you don't follow your inspiration too closley other wise you'll get cucked like that Robin Thicke fucker.

Also Blurred Lines is a great example of what to do: it was a catchy song, but the only reason anybody paid attention to it was because of the Terry Richardson video with all that T&A.
>>
>>1923088
>straightedge goregrind doesnt pay the bills anymore, kid.

Did it ever? Maybe for Carcass back in the early 90's.

This is actually a very interesting thread. I work a day job in something other than music, but I'm looking to ramp up things for my new musical side project.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.