[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

salary negotiation etiquette

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 10ee248e82549474.png (260KB, 620x640px) Image search: [Google]
10ee248e82549474.png
260KB, 620x640px
So I'm salaried at $62k. I got an offer from a competitor across town for 20% higher than that. What's the proper way to turn this offer into a higher salary at the place I currently work? it's pretty comfy, work a little less than 40 hours a week and can use my phone whenever I want. id really prefer to stay here but I also can't turn down a salary increase like that. how should I take it to my boss?
>>
>>1913192
first off, you have to be willing to change companies. If you aren't then any "negotiation" could result in them terminating you.

>Meet with boss, have two weeks notice with you
>Tell him you have a offer that's 30% more than what you make currently
>Don't say who it is, but that you like working here and what not
>Ask if they can match
>If they can't match the 20% you were offered, then be prepared to walk
>Hand your boss your two weeks notice and shake his hand that it's been a pleasure to work here, etc
>expect a phone call within 24 hours or prepare for your new job.
>>
>>1913192

Well you need more information. It sounds like you have a good job, but what is the quality of the other job? If the other job sucks then the money upgrade won't be worth much.

It's a little delicate, but pretty simple.

Talk to your boss. Say "boss I love working here. I''m happy here, but I need to do the best things for my life. I got an offer from another company for a much larger salary. Can you guys increase my pay to meet their offer?".

If they get pissed, then fuck em. Employers getting pissed that an employee asks for more money is so retarded. Your not friends for fucks sake it's a business arrangement.

In most cases they will match the offer.

If it turns into drama, join up with the other company.
>>
>>1913192
It's not advisable to take a company's counter offer. I thnk you should just bite the bullet and leave unless you've been there for less than a year.
>>
>>1913233
Agreed, I was in a similar position and decided to just take the new job. Using it as a bargaining chip for a raise is a bad idea for several reasons
>>
>>1913192
I've done this once and the company I was working for at the time actually beat the other offer, almost begged me to stay. That said I was kick ass at what I did, essential to the company (<100 employees) and got along really well with everyone there. If any one of those three things weren't a factor I don't think it would have worked.

tl;dr Only try it if you're really ready to walk
>>
>>1913208
Never take the counter-offer from your current employer, better yet don't even go there. Take the new job and money.

When it's time for layoffs you'll be the first to hit the chopping block. They'll remember you strong arming them believe me.
>>
>>1913343
i can definitely understand this angle, but im a fairly important employee and the company is growing very quickly. i would genuinely feel bad about leaving because it would be difficult to replace me on short notice. i think i'd be good for at least the foreseeable future.
>>
>>1913303

exactly this.

Thing is this scenario can go 2 ways:

1) Okay sure we'll match the offer or maybe come close
2) Get the fuck out

If you get reaction 2 it's essential you have that 2nd job locked down.
>>
>>1913192
I have been "let go" by every middle eastern employer I've had the misfortune to work with after asking for a raise.

How do I ask for a raise in Australia?
I'm reading a lot of stuff here that is, in all reality, about calling their bluff about "Being ready to walk". Surely that's not the only way?
>>
>>1913436
Tht is the only way, thts the only way u win vs UR BOSS
>>
>>1913436
I think the difference is negotiating vs. an offer, and just negotiating vs your value to the company
>>
>>1913436
Asking for a raise is different than leveraging another offer for a raise.
>>
>>1913192
What area of work are you in?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.