[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learning about Economics, Investment and Finance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

Hey /biz/. Comp Sci undergrad here. Penultimate year, on course for a 1st.

Always been interested in economics, investment and finance and I'd like to diversify my knowledge from comp sci. It can't hurt to have a good understanding of them. I'd much rather branch out into it once I graduate than go down the programming route anyway.

Anyway, enough about me, you don't give a shit right? But if anyone would be kind enough to help; what would you recommend I read? I got a hold of pic related, a friend suggested it. It appears to be quite a light introduction to economics, going from basic market theory into micro and then macroeconomics. It's nice to have a general understanding of it, but I'd like to learn more about investment and finance.

Any recommendations?
>>
>>1908569
Rich dad poor dad changed my life. Pretty basic for u probably tho. They have expensive ass how-to classes tho
>>
>>1908684
A pretty nutty friend of mine went on about that for ages, I assumed it was just some self-help book. Just read up about it and it seems really interesting, I'll definitely give it a read. Thanks.
Just thought I should point out for anyone else who reads this thread, I guess ideally I'm looking for a good textbook.
>>
Couple of bumps and then I'll head to bed.
>>
One more bump
>>
>>1908714
Don't, dude. It's shit.
>>
>>1909013

Oh. How come? And what would you suggest instead? I don't mind reading a good book so long as it's merely remotely interesting and useful for what I'm trying to learn, so surely it couldn't be that bad?
>>
File: image.jpg (217KB, 619x376px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
217KB, 619x376px
>>1908569
Read the book that your friend suggested first so you understand the basics of economics. If you are interested in finance, there are a lot of good books and journals (for specific areas, e.g. bonds,stocks, yields, etc.)that I can recommend, but I'm on my phone atm.
t.mbafag
>>
>>1908569
If you need a light introduction look no further than this video made my the world's most successful Hedge Fund manager.
>You will NEVER find something with a better pedigree
http://www.economicprinciples.org/

Now as for finance:
I haven't read it but "Financial Theory and Practice" by Brigham and Ehrhardt has been highly reccomended

For investing:
In another thread someone suggested "Buffetology" which is a very fast, easy read.
>>
>>1909124

I've pretty much finished it.

>>1909360

Cheers, I'll give those a look.
>>
>>1909360
In case you come across this thread again, I watched that video and without a doubt it's the best explanation for the subject that I've ever seen. Much appreciated.

Still open to other book/video suggestions if anyone else has any.
>>
File: finance.jpg (44KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
finance.jpg
44KB, 400x500px
>>1908569

Your friend suggested a good book. I would follow that up with a Macroeconomic textbook (Global Econ), to get an idea of how those essential principles function in reality.

Pic related is a good place to start for finance. Even though it's corporate, it teaches you all the fundamental terminology, equations, and logic that you need to work on your own finances. I would recommend that you pick up an older edition of course.
>>
>>1908569
>>1911134

Look up Dave Ramsey if you want to get some good foundation knowledge about investing. Step 2 would be to download the Robin Hood app to get used to the idea of having investments act as a high interest savings account.

Do some research on Bollinger bands as well. those are what REALLY got me into investments.
>>
>>1911134
>>1911142

Thanks. Just out of curiosity, why an older edition?
Just heard about Principles of Corporate Finance by Brealey and Myers. Anyone have any experience with it?
>>
>>1908569
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI0V04dP4t8

While I disagree with his politics, he's not wrong about reflexivity.
>>
File: 1485249843979.jpg (71KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1485249843979.jpg
71KB, 640x480px
I don't want to create a new thread just for simple question.

Looking for general information on what one should look out for before buying stock/investing and such.

How come there is no FAQ in the sticky?
>>
>>1911065
Awesome! I felt the same way.
That's all I really have in terms of macroeconomics.

>>1912644
You'll have to be more specific. Do yo umean how to find a broker or what metrics/indicators you should look at to know if a stock is worth buying?

>How come there is no FAQ in the sticky?
Because /biz/ apparently was just meant to be a crypto containment board to keep the memecoin shill threats off /g/
>>
These are all books on my amazon list that I'll be ordering soon. I'm really interested in learning about the Austrian School of Economics.
No order to it:
The Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clason
Anatomy of the State by Murray Rothbard
Trump: The Art of the Deal by Donald J. Trump
Capital And Interest: A Critical History Of Economical Theory by Eugen V. Bohm-Bawerk
The Law by Frederic Bastiat
Economics in One Lesson: The Shortest and Surest Way to Understand Basic Economics by Henry Hazlitt
The Road to Serfdom: Text and Documents--The Definitive Edition (The Collected Works of F. A. Hayek, Volume 2) by F. A. Hayek
Planned Chaos by Ludwig von Mises
Principles of Economics (Large Print Edition) by Carl Menger
Austrian School Business Cycle Theory by Murray Rothbard
Advanced Introduction to the Austrian School of Economics (Elgar Advanced Introductions series) by Randall G. Holcombe
Classical Liberalism and the Austrian School by Ralph Raico
Austrian School for Investors: Austrian Investing between Inflation and Deflation by Rahim Taghizadegan
Economics for Real People: An Introduction to the Austrian School by Gene Callahan
>>1912644
The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham
>>
>>1908569
this
>>
>>1913035
Why did you pick those ones though?
>>
>>1913057
Liberalism and The Austrian School of Economics
those are the authors I found for the subjects. There are a couple outliers in there.
The Austrian books I found typing about the subject into Amazon.
Bastiat
Bohm-Bawerk
Menger
Rothbard
Hazlitt
were memed around here so I'm giving them a chance.
>>
just ask science bro the most literate board on 4chan
>>>/sci/8788091
>>
File: hahaha.jpg (58KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
hahaha.jpg
58KB, 640x480px
>>1913174
>/Sci/ knows more about stock markets than /biz/
Fuck...
>>
>>1913071
Ah okay. I really should learn my Economic Theory schools.
>>
>>1913071
Ecomonic liberalism is dead. Even the IMF is now publishing reports saying it's ideas were overstated. Don't go down rabbit holes and don't just look in a mirror of one idea set
>>
>>1908569
Business studies for Dummies
Economics for Dummies
Corporate Finance for Dummies
Investing for Dummies
A Random Walk Down Wallstreet
The Black Swan
Financial Markets and Institutions by Mishkin & Eakins
>>
>>1908714
Its pretty basic obvious shit that we all shoukd know but retards like me are conditioned to work and die. Fuck that. Not gonna happen.
>>
>>1909013
>poorfag detected.
>>
>>1911142
What

The

Fuck...

>dave ramsey

No.

>robinhood.

Just... no..
>>
>>1913704
Because biz is just a shitcoin pump and dumo scam ran by the fucking mods...
>>
Ok guys, thanks for all the replies. I've got a pretty long list of material to get through.

Another question. As I said, I feel like I'd much rather go into investment and finance, hell even consultancy. I've got a few meetings lined up over the next couple of weeks, hopefully I can get some kind of relevant internship over the summer for experience. Anyone got any input, opinions or advice? I do realise that knowledge will only get me so far, an actual degree is needed. I could always try to get into an MSc Finance program.
>>
>>1914134
Summer placement isn't as important as uni's make out, as long as you have a placement year after year 2 you will be fine.
>>
>>>1913026

>Do yo umean how to find a broker or what metrics/indicators you should look at to know if a stock is worth buying?
a broker or what metrics/indicators

If you don't mind giving me a small rundown of both I'd thank you.

>>1913035

Much obliged.
>>
File: 1483783268640.jpg (125KB, 600x637px) Image search: [Google]
1483783268640.jpg
125KB, 600x637px
>>1913035
>the art of the deal
>>
>>1908714
The entire thing can be summed up as "don't spend money on useless shit, instead buy assets that generate income". Eye-opening for your average joe who spends most of his paycheck a week after he gets it and has CC debt out the ass, but nothing really new for someone with a working brain.
>>
Good starting point
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEDIj9JBTC8
>>
>>1914219
My uni hasn't given me any info on summer internships. I did plan on doing a placement year but I can't now, so next year I'll be going straight into my final year. That's why I'm trying to get at least some relevant experience.

>>1914654
Fair enough. I'll still read through it anyway, won't take too long and if it's any good at all it'll be moderately enjoyable.
>>
>>1908569
value price and profit by karl marx
>>
>>1914323
>If you don't mind giving me a small rundown of both I'd thank you.

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/younginvestors/06/firstbroker.asp

This website should help you with EVERYTHING to do with stocks.

With metrics, depends if you know how to read a financial statement or not?

>>1915167
I would legit recommend this if you think you're a beginner.

>>1915526
Shure thing Slavoj!
>wipes nose, makes "fffffshhh" sound
>>
>>1915526
Nooo
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.