[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is doing a two year nursing program worth it? I need to work

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: whenugetcucked.jpg (96KB, 944x712px) Image search: [Google]
whenugetcucked.jpg
96KB, 944x712px
Is doing a two year nursing program worth it? I need to work in order to support myself and my sick (unemployed) dad. However, my end goal is go to medical school, and hopefully become an NSG.

I have already one year of schooling under my belt and good grades, but financial restraints are holding me back now. If not nursing, is there another route I should do?
>>
>>1905463
>nursing

Honestly, if you want to get paid 1/6 the amount of an actual doctor for triple the work, by all means, go for it.

If you REALLY want to rake in the dough for doing absolutely no work, but making bank, be an X-Ray Tech.

You will not make as much as an actual Radiologist, but you won't have to change the diapers of 400 pound geriatric patients either.
>>
>>1905496
*not making bank
>>
Just get a two year degree in radiology. You'll make the same as someone with a 4 year degree and save money.
>>
Nursing is okay. Lots of long shits (14+ hours) and lots of drama, but it pays pretty well for a 2 year program.

Do what >>1905496 said though. I started out in nursing at community college but switched to Radiologic Technology. There's a few different categories you specialize in. I finished in like 5 semesters and got a job as a MRI tech making almost the same as a nurse, but with a normal Mon-Fri work schedule.
>>
>>1905496
RN's don't change diapers. That's the CNA or LPNs job. You will be dealing with blood and vomit more than piss and shit.

Also a Radiologist makes like $500K a year and requires med school plus like at least 5 years of residency. Don't confuse a Radiologist with an X-Ray tech. One takes the scans, the other looks at them to come up with diagnoses.
>>
I can confirm with the other guys. Becoming some sort of diagnostic imaging technician is a pretty good job. Good job security, you take scans. High 5 digit, low 6 digit figure pay. The longer you work, you start breaking into the 6 digit salary more. Also, the more certifications for multiple machines, the better off you are.
>>
>>1905526
It doesn't work like that. You aren't better off by being certified for multiple machines. You're going to be hired for one or the other. They don't have one person running everything. You would be working 24/7. And six figure pay is extremely unrealistic, unless you live in some HCOL area where six figures is basically mid five figures.

You'll likely start your career out around $20-25/hour and top out at $40-45/hour. Benefits are good in health care though.
>>
I'm graduating with a bachelors and zero debt. Should i do 2 more years to get a pathologist assistant masters for around 40k. They can easily make 80-90k starting and get into the low 100's with experience. 6 month job placement rates are often 100% in any program i look at

Current degree would make me 40-50k but with no debt mind you.
>>
>>1905496
>>1905508
>>1905505

I don't mind working long hours, I actually prefer it.

Unfortunately, there aren't any of those programs available where I am living.

Also, do male nurses have a negative stigma?
>>
>>1905544

What your degree in? You'll need to get ASCP certified anyway to get any jobs in pathology, so might as well do it.
>>
>>1905538

I'm speaking anecdotally. I have a family member who is certified for several machines, though he works mostly with just one machine. And he does make 6 figures while living in a suburb of Dallas. Not really a HCOL area, though he works longer than normal hours.
>>
>>1905552
Histology. Currently about to get my associates and accredited HT by ASCP. Then one year and 9k later ill have my bachelors and HTL. 2 more years and 40k i'd have a masters.

Im thinking ill do it. I'd imagine a 40-44k debt to pay with an 80-90k salary would be pretty feasible
>>
>>1905548
Being male, you will likely only get hired at a hospital in the ER or ICU doing all the grunt work.

You'll occasionally get the the male nurse jokes from sexist boomers and "I don't want a man touching me" patients but it's not bad. We have quite a few in the hospital I work at. They are all oribitors to the female nurses. They're push overs that buy coffee and lunch for the girls every day while getting no pussy. The nurses fuck the doctors, not the other male nurses.
>>
>>1905561

Nice, I wanted to do a histo tech program, but it's way too far for me (1 hour drive one way).

>>1905565
I would actually like working in the ER/ICU, I worked overnight at an ER once and it was an interesting experience.

Does being an orbiter come with being a nurse? Is it possible to be "alpha" as a nurse is what I am asking.
>>
>>1905585
I mean you can just not give a fuck about the female nurses, but you aren't going to get laid by anybody at the workplace unless they're a complete whore.
>>
>>1905463
Just sharing my story, I had nothing absolutely nothing. I wanted to go to college but no money and family is first generation immigrants who where farmers. I saw everyone get hand outs or get connected to a good school. I worked in a grocery store for a while, saw truckers had it easy and made 5x more than me, I saved like 3gs, went to trucking school and I make 80k plus a year now.
>>
>>1905883

What about doing a surgical tech/assistant program instead? I am considering just sucking it up and taking the 2 hour drive to do the program.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.