[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else fall for the liberal arts major meme?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1485370032925.jpg (20KB, 350x296px) Image search: [Google]
1485370032925.jpg
20KB, 350x296px
How did you turn your life around and get a decently paying job? Is your job related to your major?
>>
i took psychology... not considered a liberal art as such, but equally useless.

after 5 years of driving trucks, i took a one-year course in aircraft engineering and approached a medium-small maintenance firm. offered to work for free for a few days so they could see i wasnt a dud, and they took me on.

finally paid off my fucking psychology loan a few years back.
>>
>>1900459
Nice
>>
>>1900417
>Anyone else fall for the liberal arts major meme?
I'm not even sure how people are this stupid. Are you brown or something?
>>
>>1900417
studied computer science and I.T.
didn't cost anything as I live in scotland
became a programmer/technical support
love my job
>>
>>1902370

Whilst you enjoy your job, try and network and get in some soft-skills (i.e marketing) too.

I quit my job as a Tech Lead around a year back, went contracting (short term, 3x3 month contracts with a few weeks off in between) so I could establish my own consultancy. I wish I had spent more time networking though, and I had gone in to this with a better knowledge about marketing techniques.

Obviously you may enjoy continuing your job, but after a few years people tend to see things differently. I think our industry is a good one for going it alone if you have the right attitude though.
>>
>>1900417
No of course not, even as a young idiot I knew the point of college was to prepare for a career. What degree did you get and why did you think it was worth studying?
>>
>>1900417

I stopped doing drugs and decided that I needed to grow up.
>>
>>1902467
meh, i'm a tech guy so not really into setting up consultancy. I'll be going into contracting in future, I'm working for a huge corporation with excellent training so am brushing up on my c' java and python, look to get some certifications and then £500 - £1000 a day contracts in maybe 5 years or so.
>>
File: SrRt8wD.png (735KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
SrRt8wD.png
735KB, 640x1136px
>>1900417
>get athletic scholarship
>memed into thinking I'd get drafted to MLB
>rotator cuff took a shit mid way into first season
>lie during physicals about pain to keep scholarship
>graduate
>business management degree
>>
>>1900417
>How did you turn your life around and get a decently paying job?
Yes

>Is your job related to your major?
Unemployed. Which is not what you wanted to hear.
I could probably get a job in marketing or advertising quite easily with my skillset, but instead I'm going to start my own business using my skills.

I console myself thinking self-made billionaires like Carl Icahn and George Soros majored in Philosophy, Miuccia Prada studied Mime -- like actually mime. Mitt Romney and George Sr. were both lib arts I think.

The real danger with Liberal Arts has got nothing to do with the skillset you learn, if you were a studious learner you'll have a skill you can monetize, the real problem is hanging out with a bunch of working class marxists and coddled rich kids who have an incredible sense of entitlement and no drive to actually accomplish anything,
>>
Blaming your college degree for your employment prospects is silly. College isn't supposed to train you to perform a job. It's not vocational school. If you wanted job training there are plenty of place you could go that would have prepared for exciting careers in air conditioning maintenance, Private investigating, or similar.

Plus, as a liberal arts major you should have one extremely valuable school that's overlooked by STEM majors: the ability to write clearly and cogently. What you do with that skill is up to you, but it should be your strongest market advantage. And robots can't do it.

>Also, friendly reminder that the richest person who ever visited /biz/ was an English major. Granted, he went to law school after getting that degree, but the point still stands.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.