[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can I make photography profitable?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 18580835884_6fbb35133f_o.jpg (433KB, 1620x1080px) Image search: [Google]
18580835884_6fbb35133f_o.jpg
433KB, 1620x1080px
I'm 29, and tired of being poor as dirt due to disability. I have no skills, ended came out of education with no qualifications due to said disablity, and have been scraping by for over a decade.

That said, my dad is decently well off, and bought me a damn nice camera, a few decents lenses, taught me what he knew as a wedding photographer, and I have a car and decent computer. I would also say I'm as talented as many of the photographers I've seen published, and my photos are as good as 60% of those you see hung on walls.

So, working with what I have, I want to make it work for me. The issue is that my health only lets me function at most part-time, and not in any sort of routine.

I'm considering trying to sell my photos on canvas, on Ebay and other online sale sites, as well as locally, in the same way as drop-shipping in the hope that there are enough old ladies out there that really like pictures of animals and flowers enough that they will impulse buy. It worked on my grandmother, at least. A canvas she recently bought is really shitty quality, and I didn't have the heart to tell her.

>Not my picture. Prefer my metadata didn't end up widely avalable.
>>
>>1897863
Photography is a hyper saturated industry. Only way to make right now is to go online and find a big network that shares your work, which is impossible if you don't have influential friends who own big sites or work in agencies.

IN other words, to make in photography you have to be a cool rich kid with many connections. Quality is completely overlooked because camera nowadays are just too good.

I'd say wrong choice. Find another job online.
>>
I don't disagree, but I can work with what I have.

>I'd say wrong choice. Find another job online.

Suggestions?

My disability is a inherited adrenal and immune disease, which combined fucker me over physically (it's impossible to get fitter than, say, a 70 year old man, as if I even climb too many stairs I end up bedridden for six months) and mentally (I have no sleep-rythm, some days I'm awake six hours before unbeatable exaustion strikes, others twenty hours as though I've had a barrel of coffee, and this is aside from depression from being in such a fucked up state.) So, needless to say I'm not exactly a reliable worker, to the point that I know I need two-to-three days to even manage to pack and ship anything on Ebay.

I am determined to find a way to do something, though. I'm tired of being sick AND poor. At the least I want to be comfortable, and not have many money worries, by the time I'm 50.
>>
>>1897878
You can find opportunities online. For example you can be a customer care chat for delivery services. All you have to do is to stay online and wait if clients are having problems, talk to them and immediately report problems to boss. Very easy.

Another way is to write opinion articles for online news agencies, but it's harder to get the job.

Also, you can find networks of people with your problems. Many times these networks are huge; the biggest one is the one the blind. You can't believe how huge these communities are. You can find them online. Befriend them and offer your services, maybe they can find a small job for you.

You say you want to be comfy but it's not easy if you can't work steadily. You can crowd fund your health care, people are eager to help, but other money is up to you.
>>
>>1897870
>Photography is a hyper saturated industry.
This. Since everyone has a high-def camera with brilliant software correcting and filtering the shit out of even the most mundane photography in their pockets everywhere with them (aka smartphone), the value of proper photography has declined sharply. Animals and flowers probably won't cut it. Decorative prints might be a business, but it's really more sale of quality prints than taking of good-looking photographies. Definitely find someone who knows their shit and enter a long-time cooperation with said printer.

Portraits, model shots, novelty personalized (nude) calendars, baby glam shots, etc - there's still some money in photography that can't be replicated easily with a $500 smartphone and photo app. Snapping a landscape or an animal is something anyone can do. But most people lack a studio and artificial lighting, so you can sell that.

Photography as a trade is more likely to give you a steady stream of income than photography as an art. But don't forget that retouching and post-processing is probably more important and marketable these days than setting up a shot and pushing the shutter.

>>1897863
>Not my picture. Prefer my metadata didn't end up widely avalable.

1) Then purge it manually.
2) 4chan purges it anyway and has been doing since 3-4 years, ever since idiots uploading geotagged dick pics from their phones became too much of a problem. EXIF is only kept on /p/, hence why you see so many pictures with wrong orientations (the jpg is a sensor dump and the rotation is just saved in meta - you probably know this anyway being a professional photographer).
>>
>>1897863
Sorry bro but there isn't any money to be made in photography since the technology has become so cheap, easily accessible, and easy to use for every 16-20 year old girl who wants to call themselves a photographer. Photography is a meme career that almost every lazy dipshit wants to pursue in order to get out of doing real work. You would be much better off learning some other skill that nobody else knows how to do.
>>
>>1897899

Thanks anon, I appreciate the advice and the time you took to give it.

I'm actually looking into locksmithing, as despite by health, doing that part time would likely still be profitable, and I can always just claim 'on holiday' on voicemail if my health is giving me a bad week. It's paying for the trainign that is the pain in the ass, but it's not an impossible barrier. It will just take time.

>>>1897902

>Definitely find someone who knows their shit and enter a long-time cooperation with said printer.

A family member is setting up a printing business. Now, it might go nowhere, but it is a useful conicidence. It's one of the reasons I'm taking the step now. Guess I'll see how it goes.

>Photography as a trade

See, this is the real tragedy. I have a portfolio of weddings my dad trained me at, and I can do those, I know the flow and clean up well too. But given the money invovled, that this is one of the biggest days of peoples lives, and my inability to be reliable I would be an idiot to even attempt that particular avenue.

>you probably know this anyway being a professional photographer

Actually I didn't, thanks for educating me. I've been taught the practical, and know the digital editing side from half a art and design course I did as a teen and years of screwing around on photoshop and more recently CaptureOne, but a lot of the EXIF naunces are something I've never paid much attention to outside ISO, Shutter, ect that define the quality of a shot.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.