[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the big 4 worth it as a career? As a white man can I hope

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: images(29).jpg (6KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
images(29).jpg
6KB, 300x168px
Is the big 4 worth it as a career? As a white man can I hope to rise up on the ranks?
Also what are your experiences in audit vs tax
>>
File: 1489439035657.jpg (56KB, 250x400px) Image search: [Google]
1489439035657.jpg
56KB, 250x400px
>>1896204
Stop trying to catch the last wave, do something original

Do you really think either of these jobs will make you rich? The more important question is: do you actually care about either of these fields?

Every graduate applies for these jobs without thinking. They're just told it's a good career and never bother to question whether this is true or not. The result is a huge supply of graduate employees, which pushes the price down (more specifically, it pushes the hours worked UP whilst salaries remain static)

Accountancy/consulting was a decent career to go into to make money 20 years ago

Again, you're trying to catch the last wave. You'll find yourself competing like crazy for ever diminishing rewards.

Do you think accountancy is going to grow as an industry over the next few decades? It was a good career choice 20 years ago but that ship has sailed.

Pick an industry that is growing, that you find interesting, and that is less competitive - more 'outside the box'. You 'll be richer and happier.
>>
>>1896204
I graduated from university a little over 3 years ago. I know of at least 10 people who've gone to work at these companies. But I don't know a single person from uni who's started their own business (except me).

Why is this? Is it because big 4 pays more? Is it easier to get ahead in these firms compared to starting your own?

No - it's the exact opposite. Big 4 is insanely competitive but the rewards aren't there because there are so many competitors. It's one massive tournament with no winners (except the partners who got in early - before this insane supply of students).

Seriously, if you're in any way intelligent or have any original thoughts, do something else.

Big 4 is a good example of Sayer's law (Google it)
>>
>>1896330
I have heard mixed reactions from some friends about it. I know you can accomplish something in this field without these companies. In fact I may be better off but I certainly don't think that Accounting is going anywhere
>>
Pros
>decent money
>10/10 learning opportunity
>good exit opportunities
>great pit stop right after graduation if you're not 100% sure about where you want to work and what exactly you want to do
>big 4 experience always looks good on your resume
>possible to move to TAS from audit

Cons
>hours are murder during high season
>work at entry level becomes easy really fast, keeping yourself motivated (and learning) might be challenging

Other notions
>you'll meet really smart, ambitious people, but a lot of huge cunts as well

Is it worth it as a career? Unless you advance quickly to manager, no. You'll get better pay, better hours, and better options working in industry.

Either way, spending a couple of years at big 4 will advance your career really fast, and some of the people you work with will be valuable connections later on down the line.
>>
>>1896369
It seems like they are primarily hiring anyone with a pulse these days. A lot of people from my uni who really shouldn't be considered got at least some kind of internship, but I agree, there definitely is an oversupply
>>
>>1896374
I have heard mixed reactions too from people in big 4

Just the other day someone from Deloitte was telling me how he makes loads of money - yet when I suggested to invest in ETH (it was $17 at the time) he admitted he had no money

It's seriously like a cult - there's no way anyone would stay there if they didn't brainwash employees so badly. Pay is average, hours are terrible, culture is terrible

People say it's good for your CV - I don't know how true this is
>>
I've always wondered just how brutal busy season gets, especially for audit. For me audit really doesn't look that attractive, just not a fan of the monster hours and just doing the same repetitive thing year after year
>>
>>1896383

>great pit stop right after graduation if you're not 100% sure about where you want to work and what exactly you want to do

yeah, just get hired there like its nothing!
>>
>>1896413
It definitely looks good on a resume, but if you are most likely going to leave in 3 years why put yourself through agony? I know they are great places to boost yourself, but still, I can't fathom it.
>>
>>1896439
>It definitely looks good on a resume
I've heard this same thing - but where's the evidence? It seems to be the same kind of unfounded groupthink that leads graduates to pursue careers at this company without asking why they're doing it

I've heard the same thing about it being good for CV - but I've yet to see any real evidence. It's just something people repeat without providing examples.

Personally, if I was hiring and I saw the standard 3 years at big 4 on a CV it would tell me the following about the person:
> No serious convictions
> Lacks originality
> Follows the crowd
> Ambitious, will always be looking for a better offer from somewhere else
>>
>tfw CLA
>tfw going to jump ship to Verzion soon
Sorry
>>
File: wojak-dusk.jpg (22KB, 680x510px) Image search: [Google]
wojak-dusk.jpg
22KB, 680x510px
>>1896330
>Accountancy/consulting was a decent career to go into to make money 20 years ago

>Ragusan economist Benedetto Cotrugli's 1458 treatise Della mercatura e del mercante perfetto contained the earliest known description of a double-entry bookkeeping system, however Cotrugli's manuscript was not officially published until 1573.
>>
Know a bunch of people who have been at these places 6 or 7 years now and would describe them all as content.
>>
>>1896204
Not as a career. Most of the VP's and up in any organization though got their start in consulting.

My advice: do two years as a consultant and jump ship when a client makes you the right offer.
>>
>>1896330
Dumbass thinks Big 4 only does accounting
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.