[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>TFW scared of identity theft

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1482138113285.png (46KB, 619x453px) Image search: [Google]
1482138113285.png
46KB, 619x453px
>TFW scared of identity theft
>>
>>1888968
Oh please.

Who would even want to steal your identity?
>>
>>1889294
/thread
>>
>>1888968

want a hug?
>>
giving my SSN to a bitcoin exchange was indeed a little unnerving
>>
>>1889333
JUST
>>
>>1888968
>>1889333

This is why I stay far away from Bitcoin. If not for this, I might have bought a few, but I'm not risking someone having fun with my ID some years down the line.

It's not a 'secure government database'. It's a fucking Bitcoin exchange. A disgruntled tech. Hackers. A thrown out HDD not wiped properly. You ID could end up in the hands of anyone, and used for anything.

I've been partyvan'd before because apparantly even your email address landing in the wrong hands can be grounds for an investigation, which can happen through fucking spambots, let alone your SSN ending up being used to buy illegal weaponry.
>>
>>1888968
honestly probably already stolen desu
could probably buy it rn on the deep web
>>
>>1889401
To be fair you should be worried about literally everything then.
>>
>>1889402
Nah I live in Canada I don't think it's THAT common.
>>
>>1889427

By what logic? I've personally experianced, and just shared, how easy it is to end up thrown into a cell and being investigated for simply having an email address floating around the web. I'm not saying it's likely. I was just fucking unlucky.

However that doesn't make it smart to provide ID, and not just ID but a vital chunk of proof thereof, to a source that doesn't have extreme legal responsability to make sure the info is either stored with incredible security and carefully destroyed when the time comes (if at all). If it ends up in the wrong hands, at best you will get an unpleasant visit and some unexpected questions, but it's not outside the realm of possibility that you find yourself losing a job and ending up in prison while an investigation goes on.

Is owning some BitCoin really worth the risk? Because no fucker is going to employ someone who was investigated for arms dealing or drug trafficking (to use less nasty examples) even if they got a grudging 'all clear'.
>>
>>1889477
Nah I just mean payroll departments get hacked regularly, or shit like childrens' SSNs are sold. Kinda scary when you actually think about how easy this shit could happen
>>
>>1889482

As someone who has experiance something akin, yeah, it fucking is. People don't get how scary and easy it can be. The worst was the realisation that there are likely a lot of innocent people in jail, more than we think.

It was a pretty massive redpill itself to find myself claiming I dindunoffin when I really didn't. I still get tense when I see a cop car even while just out driving, because I know, on an experiantial level, that injustices happen and no one gives a shit and believes you, because there is no smoke without fire in most peoples minds.
>>
>>1889493
The injustices of significant on your life I think are super rare though. You can probably fix most issues like this.

But shit like tax fraud literally costs $50billion a year or something. Crazy.
>>
>>1889501

Sure. Aside from a severe distrust of the legal system and police (while still respecting the officers) it's made me a more mature person, so you can even take a little good from the bad.

I'm just sharing this so OP has a real life and cautionary example, to oppose the sheep-like shitposters above, to vindicate his rational caution some.

For me, it help that I would only be able to afford one coin at a stretch at the moment, and the money I could use is already in stock of a local mining operation that is seeming to be pretty safe long-term investment. If I had more disposable income, and BC was lower, I might find it more diffcult myself.
>>
>>1889401
>SSN ending up being used to buy illegal weaponry
??? If purchasing 'illegal weaponry', why would a criminal need to disclose a SSN? You're funny.
>>
>>1889532
>le flippant shitposter.
>>
>don't put social security number on resumes
>shred all mail, especially mail from banks and the government
>zero personal info on the internet
>>
>>1889523
>3 long posts
>no story of what happened or why

Zzzz..
>>
>>1890247
>I was happily going about my day, never having been arrested in my thirty years of life.
>The Knock, small army of officers, shoved into a van with a plexiglass cell and no seatbelt.
>First time in a cell, fucking terrified, no one will tell me shit.
>8 hours in cell, while my house is turned over.
>Finally get interviewed, my email address was on a mostly deleted hdd on some computer abroad, and that's all I was ever told.
>Almost a year of uncertainty followed, under investigation.
>Get a letter that says I'm no longer investigation. Only get 90% of my shit back, and some of that failed, and some shows signs of damp damage.
>Never charged, but also never cleared. Just left alone, which frankly I'll take.

I still flinch when the mailman knocks too loudly.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.