[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why Are Animators Poor?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

Animators, id say, work just as hard as engineers in their field of craft. A training animator could be drawing up to 8-15 hours a day for 4 years and are constantly studying expression, gestures, timing, etc.

But when they finally make their portfolio presentable, and actually do get hired, they get payed basically minimum wage.

Is it because the field is over saturated? Even more than finance and STEM?

Is it because animation studios make hardly any money and cant afford to hire many employees let alone give them high salaries?

Why is it that cartoon studios make less money than say something like a generic drug company?
>>
>>1885876
>Why is it that cartoon studios make less money than say something like a generic drug company?
Are you seriously this stupid?
>>
>>1885876
How many frames is that?
Is it purely from the number of frames you get that smoothness or is it something to do with tweening?
>>
>>1885890
please explain. please no bully.
>>1885925
Made by one of the founders of gainax. Its about 16 frames
>tweening
Not sure what you mean. Is tweening supposed to be the inbetweens inside the keyframes?
>>
>>1885933
>please explain. please no bully.
What needs explaining? Do you not understand how the healthcare industry is different from the animation industry?

And take this garbage to another board. No one gives a shit about your cartoons here.
>>
It's about value, finding someone to animate is easy, especially in countries where you can pay your workers $1 an hour, that and with the fact that animation isn't important or innovative leads to animators making peanuts.

Just because your work is hard and time consuming doesn't mean it's valuable.
>>
>>1885946
> Do you not understand how the healthcare industry is different from the animation industry?

I just want to know why animation industry is bottom tier. Anime and Cartoons are globally popular.

I mean, out of every single type of business in the world (fast food, clothing, video games, cargo transportation, health care, mining, music) why the heck is animation bottom tier and makes the least amount of revenue?
>>
>>1885950
This is true. In between animators can literally be anyone without any art experience, and its only the directors that are the talent.
>animation isn't important or innovative leads to animators making peanuts.
leads me to this >>1885951
>>
>>1885933
yes theres something called motion tweening referring to the inbeetween of frames i think
>>
>>1885925
More frames does help, but actually that's where the artistry and technique of animation comes in, rather than drawing the transition from one key-frame to another "straight through" you use "extremes" which because of the persistence of vision the brain interpolates as having more fluidity and motion than you think.

>>1885950
>especially in countries where you can pay your workers $1 an hour, that and with the fact that animation isn't important or innovative leads to animators making peanuts.

This. No one cares about "quality" animation. Hanna Barbara showed us that they could dominate the industry with the shitest, most formulaic, stilted stories and animation imaginable.

The other thing is that even with a studio that demands quality, animators are expendable because you're just a cog in a larger framework. It's not like live action where you can't swap out Johnny Depp for another actor to play Jack Sparrow... hell sometimes you can't swap out a director without the whole thing falling apart (No one liked Fincher's Alien... and I can't even remember the Jeuneut one)

So animator's aren't that valuable as individuals, the real money is in IP... owning the rights to characters so you can put it on everything from toothbrushes to backpacks, to women's underwear, to backlight bar signs for the mancave.

I mean have you ever seen a Hello Kitty cartoon? No.
And, because being "on model' is so important, individual artists can be swapped out on a whim.

Pixar is a great example of a startup that has turned animation, or rather merchandising their IP, into a billion dollar startup
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.