[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Collectibles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: rudy.jpg (102KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
rudy.jpg
102KB, 1280x720px
Has anyone here ever tried their hand at collectibles? Illiquid garbage or underappreciated asset class?
>>
>>1878548
Like what? Auction lots and shit like that?
If so, yes. I love goin to auctions and buying stuff to fix up and resell. My margins are great. But the downside is you lack consistency in your product and sometimes it's mind-numbingly slow to move product especially if it's higher ticket items like what I prefer selling. Hello thing but I think it's killing every small business man today is price of rent. Sometimes I feel like I'm in business just to pay rent to my landlord (and I don't pay a lot for rent.) But, conversely it has been something and I've been able to do on my own and I save in regard to not having to pay any employees.
>>
Yea, I collect cryptocurrencies. Gonna send my kids to school on these. I've almost spent as much as I did on Beanie Babies.
>>
>>1878580
I was talking more along the lines of purchasing artwork, vintage toys, memorabilia, etc. with the intention of simply holding them for a period of years. That said, I won't object if you want to talk more in detail about what you do.
>>
>>1878617
Yeah, I know a bunch of people that are "antique" (or vintage or junk) dealers. They basically rent space at vendor malls and resell merchandise they buy at auction; at every price point. Some move into their own places. I have a bunch of really good auctions within an hour's Drive of where I live and I sell mainly at shows; like consumer home shows and shit like that and than I rent out venues for a week long span and sell different stuff too that I buy wholesale (along with the stuff I bought at auction). Flea markets are enticing because they're so cheap to rent tables at but they're subject to weather, only open a few hours and there's alot of shit kickers at them. I know that everyones circumstances are different and what works for me may not work for someone else but the lifestyle itself is pretty laid-back. Right now I go gangbusters for 6 months. The other six is so F-ing slow that I thought about doing something partime just to put some more $ away and occupy my time. Ironic, because I cannot stand working for somebody else. I just can't do it. It's an f-ing curse. So, that being said, ideally, I'd like to do something I can autopilot for 6 months while I'm busy with the shows. Oh, and another thing, is doing online auctions and not necessarily ones where I would have to have the products shipped to me but ones that are close enuff for me to preview & pick up. I do NO eBay, I just don't have any faith in it. I'm sure I'm wrong but I think my stuff would get lost in a sea of similar priced things. I'd like to get to a point that I'm renting out my own vender mall but that's a while out if ever. Anyway...
>>
I work at a long term care facility, spoke with a resident who used to do antiques. Told me he started doing antiques when he was a boy, about 12 when he got his first piece. He'd deliver papers and while doing that he'd stop by a local auction house and see what they'd have. Told me he had his own car by the time he was 16. Anyways, he's sold most of his things now, since he's living in a facility; he kept only his favorite things. He says the antique market isn't what is sued to be. People would by antiques to keep them for a long time, young people now don't buy antiques because they tend to move around and such, don't want extra baggage. People used to buy a china set for tea and coffee, but who the hell does that now? You can get a coffee mug at walmart for 5 bucks.
>>
>>1879338
I see those same problems too. We live in a disposable society where no one's got any money and everyone rents. My focus was always been branded high end furniture, usually 20th century that I could get real cheap etc. Well, those brands are recognized in upscale (like wealthy) zip codes. So I hock my stuff there. But....The furniture market sucks insofar as younger people goes cuz they're all buying IKEA, so to speak, so I'm seeing a diminishing returns with aging consumers. One guy I know of buys only upscale name brand furniture, pays way too much for it and sells it at his shop. He's got so much inventory I don't know how he can fit anymore and he keeps buying. He must do what I've seen others do and that is resell it at other auctions (once he gets to a certain point). Yeah, so, anyway, if ya can, check out some auctions. My Dad, just bought his friggin dream car at one. It was an 87 Caddy Fleetwood, not in bad shape, just like the one he used to drive (new) when he was in his 30's. Got it for $600. (LOL). We give him a hard time about it, but what the hell!
>>
>>1878548
I was a part time mtg dealer for a bit. Still do a bit of speculation but you kind of need a storefront these days to be big time. Cards aren't as illiquid as one might think. You can literally go to a Grand Prix and offload tens of thousands of dollars worth of stuff in a day (maybe more, biggest single buy I've ever seen was 80k) if you're willing to take 60-75% and haggle with nerds all day. All big online retailers have buylists that will do the same through the mail at any time. With TCGplayer and EBay you can get 85-90% of value after fees but it's more work and will take longer depending on what you want to sell. There are also several Facebook groups specializing in oddities, high end, and signed/altered cards.

Overall I wouldn't have gotten into it if I hadn't already been into MTG for almost 20 years and doing it took a lot of the fun out of the game. These days I just act as a source of quick cash for dealers who are having cash flow issues so they can take advantage of great offers. Most I ever made was a grand overnight for a guy 8k to flip Pokémon boxes.
>>
>>1878548
I habe a baseball card and coin collection but no clue what any of it is worth.
>>
>>1879740
U got a throw away email or website? My buddy just opened a card shop
>>
File: Screenshot_20170320-201622.png (390KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170320-201622.png
390KB, 720x1280px
I'm giving u some ETH level advice here senpai: sports cards (high-end shit, not shit shit)

>father brings in $1000/month but is computer illiterate and refuses to learn marketing/computer
>just today i agree to give him 70% profit in exchange for cards that I list and ship (going to sell at range of $10-1000 depending on card)
>expect to make killing given huge consumer demand (at least 20% of ebay users collect sports merch)
>there are conventions every week in my town with 150+
>play like stocks, memecoins
>plan to invest in "blue-chip" athletes
>legends only increase in value
>get them wholesale from families with dead grandpa
>profit
>>
I watch this guy sometimes.

You gotta be a real idiot to buy into their manufactured hype and buy some cardboard for hundreds of dollars.

ffs just print the cards out yourself. or buy professionally made proxies. Magic is going digital anyway.
>>
>>1881033
Its why all he invests in are sealed product and psa/bgs graded alpha/beta cards, anything else is a huge ass risk
>>
>>1881096
Because sealing makes it less fake
>>
>>1881119
All those grading companies have to their name is their ability to sort the fakes from non-fakes.
>>
>>1878548

I fucking love this guy, but you have to realize that he is a very highly educated multimillionaire who is literally doing all of this for fun. If this all blows up in his face he can just fuck off and do something else for fun. Rudy owns a huge house, has a wife and kids, doesn't have to work anymore, never wears pants, spends 50k+ per month on nerdy shit, and makes cocaine fueled single take crazy rant videos about children's card games while his kids are at school. He is truly living the NEET dream you all aspire to.
>>
>>1879649
>We live in a disposable society where no one's got any money and everyone rents.
Yeah, makes it hard to sell newer stuff. I thought there was money in collectible figures (I buy them and have a hard time finding stuff so it looked like unfilled demand). What a joke. Just poorfags on /toy/ trying to get everything for half off.

>>1879740
Cards must be a totally different market from figures. I've only broken $1000 a handful of times. Lately, just making my table money back has been tough. If this GrandPrix is a big show with a big rental fee, I'd have the same doubts as going to a Comic-Con where they charge $1000 for a table.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (51KB, 934x568px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
51KB, 934x568px
Britfag here, why all the ebay hate? I deal in autographs and manuscripts, and a lot of my sales are on ebay. Never really had any problems with them. Screenshot related.
>>
>>1882785
What are their rates?
>>
>>1882785
I don't dislike eBay. I just don't think it would work well for my stuff. I think it works best for things like you're selling. Things easy to ship.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.