[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CRISPR

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: genetics-blue-small.jpg (239KB, 700x420px) Image search: [Google]
genetics-blue-small.jpg
239KB, 700x420px
CRISPR is slated to be the next big thing in medical technology, and I want in now. Where can I invest to make off big in five, ten years?

I heard that the research is mostly being done in China. Also have a feeling that the Chinese are less ethically squeamish about science. Anyone know about Chinese companies that will make use of CRISPR?
>>
>I heard that the research is mostly being done in China.
I don't think you'll find a biolab in the whole world that doesn't use CRISPR/CAS9 in 2017.
>>
>>1878081
Don't invest in things that you don't have a fundamental understanding of. Especially not emerging technologies.
>>
File: let go live life 1.png (899KB, 858x573px) Image search: [Google]
let go live life 1.png
899KB, 858x573px
>>1878118
>Don't invest ..... emerging technologies.

Get a load of this guy. It's like he wants to be poor.
>>
>>1878081
Aren't the different parts needed to use it patented by multiple different universities who are unwilling to cooperate? It's a goldmine, but it could be tough to commercialize because of our shitty patent system.
>>
>>1878232
As I understand it, there's a large alliance headed by University of California, Berkeley which is currently in the application process for a very large comprehensive patent since early 2012. This is based on the work of Doudna and Charpentier.

Meanwhile in late 2012 the Broad Institute has filed for and since gotten a much narrower patent only for eukaryotic cells based on the work of Zhang.

Berkeley has filed suit against this later patent and for now lost in the first decision because they don't have their own patent yet. I'm not positive, but from what I understand, if Berkeley actually got the broad comprehensive patent they're currently applying for, the Broad patent would be pretty much moot since it would be narrower and filed later.
>>
>>1878258
Meh, sounds like just another promising technology that's going to be locked away for 20-40 years before all the patents expire. The same thing happened to 3D printing, microprocessors, automobiles, airplanes, etc.

This bullshit makes me so mad.
>>
there are and were so many promising biotechs, it's just amazing, but they always disappear or don't manage to release anything

really makes you think
>>
I left my crystal ball back home, so no predictions sadly. However this tech wont be used for designer babies in publicly traded companies. It will be used to fix genetic defects in embryos.

Three publicly traded gene therapy clinics involved in CRISPR R&D right now are NTLA, EDIT, & CRSP.

These three are heavily influenced by news.

EDIT has been the biggest grower
+40% Feb 14 when Feng won his patent for MIT. It's his company and investors went nuts on it.

Then it went up another 15% because they signed some deal with a research lab to fix genetic eye disorders.

I don't guess you would want to invest in it right now for the long haul though. They're selling off $90m.
>>
>>1878293
DNA sequencing is riddled with patents and everyone still does it, even commercial start-ups. Biotech licensing fees for fundamental research are pretty tame. They're universities, they want their shit used and their papers cited. They don't care so much about squeezing every last penny out of tiny labs.
>>
>>1878258
http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2016/06/05/crispr-clash-dna-technology/id=69650/

lol patent laws
>>
>>1878320
if you know anything of science you would understand crispr is the future
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.