[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Home finance tricks and tips

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

Hi /biz/
I would like to move out of my basement and start life on my own. I just got a job as a waiter because I'm only 19 and I won't be able to get a better job than that.
I'm planning on renting a room because it's cheaper and I don't have a gf so I don't need privacy.
Also I would like to college at the beginning of the semester.
So here I'm concerned because trying to manage school and work is hard but I still want to be on my own and finish my education. I'm in the UK but I don't think that I would get any social benefits because I just immigrated from Eastern Europe. So I would like to know how to manage work and school to keep my head above the water and any basic information about home finance.
>>
>>1876692
Don't have any UK specific background, but some good principles:

1. Think about why you're going to college. What's your gameplan? What major do you want? What job will that allow you to do?

2. Work during college is important, but don't let it weaken your post-college plan. Need higher grades/more study time to get into a graduate school? Need to take an unpaid internship to get industry experience? Those long term considerations should take priority.

3. Reduce expenses, because whatever you can't earn from work, you'll have to borrow. You're on the right track with renting a room. Consider pooling with roommates/coworkers, renting or buying a house together. Consider areas with a bit longer commute if they're cheaper to live in. See if there are any discounts for eating at work, since that'll help your food budget. Put together a spreadsheet of income and expenses: rent, food, your typical waiting income, possible student loans, and everything else.

4. As an Eastern European immigrant, yeah, the UK will probably be stingy with welfare. Still, take advantage of any things you can. That incldues both welfare and tax credits. Better you get welfarebux than Abdul.
>>
Make a budget and stick to it.
>>
>>1876780
1. My plan is to use college as a ladder to get to a university. College is basically essential for me because I wasn't able to finish the school year and pass my finals because of the fact that I had to move to Scotland with my father. In my class we had 3 "advanced" classes: math, physics and English everything on a much higher level than other profiles.

2. I'm thinking about something with physics. I liked the subject and I'm fairly good at it. So interships and good grades are a must.

3. I won't have problems with food. My one of my sisters thought me how to buy good quality food cheap and my other sister knows how to cook high protein and healthy food. Also I don't think that you have to pay for college in the UK if you're studying full time. Still the spreadsheet idea is great.

4. Maybe I could get some help from the government. I'm from a poor family, my mother died because of alcoholism and my father had to rise me. So I had some support from the the government till the end of my education there.

Thanks anon
>>
Also it's 1:20 am so my writing is sloppy and messy.
>>
Any other things I need to know?
>>
>>1878376
Google things or post on /biz/ if you run into any specific problems.

Not sure how the European job market is for physicists, but you seem smart enough, you'll figure things out.
>>
File: 1486632017323.jpg (388KB, 1803x1351px) Image search: [Google]
1486632017323.jpg
388KB, 1803x1351px
Thanks guys. You're the best
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.