[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is an Information Technology degree worthless?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 4L_gZoFx2hr.jpg (104KB, 750x685px) Image search: [Google]
4L_gZoFx2hr.jpg
104KB, 750x685px
Or technology business degrees in general
pic not related
>>
da fuck is an Information Technology degree
>>
>>1876257
Tech is one of largest growing fields so probably not.

What are they teaching you in school? Networking? System Admin stuff? All lucrative fields. Make sure you get your certs and you'll be fine.
>>
>>1876334
>sysadmin
>lucrative
Prepare to be replaced by a farm of standardised VMs
>>
>>1876257
every degree is worthless unless you know people willing to give you a job. if you already have someone willing to give you a job, you don't need a degree.
>>
>>1876334
Not in college yet so I've just learned troubleshooting and some networking, mostly self taught
>>
>>1876257

It is if your name isn't Pajeet
>>
>>1876350
For a long awhile there will be small businesses that need system admins. Assuming worst case scenario the skills are transferable to other jobs. Besides the profession is still growing see below. Go peddle your doom and gloom elsewhere.

https://www.bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/network-and-computer-systems-administrators.htm
>>
>>1876352
this is the only information you need OP.

it will literally help you through your degree.
>>
I took info systems, regret not taking something more focused.
>>
>>1876257
Get a CIT (computer information technology) degree if you are going to anything like that.

I have a friend that is, not necessarily dumb, but she is far from smart. She got a degree in that, started working for the state at like 40k a yr.
>>
>>1876334
The degree hes talking about is usually an arts degree instead of a science degree like compsci.
>>1876257
It depends on the degree and what you do with it. If you get a bachelors of innovation then you will have a harder time than someone with a more general degree of science with collatorals and extracurricular activities like capture the flag teams.
>>
>>1877162
You won't
STEM is a meme
>muh 300k
>>
>>1877170
75k and above isnt unreasonable. 150k at the upper levels. Plenty to set up a good retirement and investment fund. Well above average living.
>>
>>1876257
Depends what you want

Being 'the IT guy' is as cucked as it gets

If you want to work with computers, do computer science and make bank in tech startups

Not sure what value IT would give you over CS tbqhwu
>>
>>1877990
Being the "IT guy" outside of help desk (and sometimes even then) means make above average pay.

Not sure why you guys shit on it. If you know your shit you are an asset to any company and will never have trouble finding work.
>>
>>1878065
the best jobs in this field are government jobs.
Large companies also hire them.
You need someone to fix/replace printers/pcs/monitors. The average lawyer, nurse, engineer, social worker or police officer can't be trusted to not fuck them up.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.