[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Investing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1455749388112.jpg (54KB, 720x684px) Image search: [Google]
1455749388112.jpg
54KB, 720x684px
> Does /biz/ use Vanguard?

> Which products do you have your money in?

> Do you recommend it?
>>
I use TD Ameritrade because I just wanted to get setup quickly without many fees. It's my first platform so it's guaranteed to have been a shitty choice.

I've got 100% of my stock money in CVM. Same caveat applies, but ask me again a year or two from now. Money spent on a company I believe in, whose mission I believe in.

I recommend you find your own thing. This is money that I've effectively trashed anyway.
>>
>>1859017
>he put all his money into a fucking meme stock worth less than 50 cents
>>
>>1859024
Fuck yeah. :^)
>>
>>1858975
>yes
>4 fund portfolio I manage for my dad
>nah its for wageslaves and retirees, real businessmen can easily beat the market and need more liquidity than vanguard provides

Stop being a pussy and start a business or buy crypto or invest in good companies
>>
>>1859038
> Buy crypto

Can we please have one thread without memes? I'm seriously inquiring about where you invest your money. I have a lot of respect for this board, please don't prove me wrong.
>>
>>1859149
N-no memes? I don't understand.
>>
>>1859038
>real businessmen can easily beat the market
Prove it.
>more liquidity than vanguard provides
Vanguard is 1-2 business days from sale to my checking account. I dare you to find ANY broker faster.

Fucking moron.
>>
>>1858975
>>1859149
OP if you're smart enough to dismiss the meme posts and shitcoin recommendations, then you're smart enough to know that Vanguard is the best option for long-term investing in the world. You really don't need to ask a bunch of 14-22 year old NEETs their opinion when every financial expert in the game recommends Vanguard.

If you're looking for quick bucks and gambles, move along. But if you're an adult with a steady wage or salary and you're honestly asking about how to get started with grown-up investing in the Vanguard model, I'll gladly answer any additional questions.
>>
>>1859310
Real businessmen can beat the market because they can trade low cap shitcoins and penny stocks.

The "you can't beat the market" bullshit only really makes sense when you're trading with hundreds of millions.
>>
>>1859325
>they can trade low cap shitcoins and penny stocks
Kek. Prove it kid.
>"you can't beat the market"
Um no one says "you can't beat the market." What we tell you is that its extremely unlikely (<5%) that you'll beat the market in any near-long time frame, and even less likely that you'll do it over 10 years. Just because people do win the lottery doesn't mean it's a smart financial play. If you're going to argue the principles of trading, get your fucking facts straight.

See, when you use strawman arguments, you get straw stuffed down your gullet, kid.
>>
>>1859318
Yes, this please. I'm only 23, I'm looking 20+ years down the line. I have a 401k through Vanguard from my work, but I would like something additional that I can access in my 40s without penalty.

Ideally I'd like to know
> The best type of fund
> The differences
> Good, real examples I can look into
>>
Absolutely. VTSAX, but some in 2050 retirement fund. They seem fantastic so far.
>>
>>1859333
Are you asking him to prove that day trading exists?
>>
>>1859774
Here's the basics:

1. Establish an appropriately sized emergency fund. This should be 3-6 months of your ordinary living expenses (rent, food, insurance, etc.) in cash or money market funds that you set aside in case of an unexpected interruption in your income (get fired, get sick, etc.). As your wealth grows in future you should consider expanding this to 6-12 months or even more.

2. The core of your investments should be a "five fund" portfolio, also known as a "4+1" portfolio. This is the well-known "4-fund" portfolio (https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Vanguard_four_fund_portfolio) plus a REIT index fund for real estate exposure. These five core funds will give you coverage in all the major asset classes and markets, and will deliver reasonable and reliable performance consistent with the goals and needs of most people.

3. The easiest way to build a 5-fund portfolio is to buy a Vanguard Target Retirement fund (4-fund) and the REIT index fund (VGSIX).

4. As your financial education grows and your savings increases, you can focus on the next two goals:

a. Tweak your holdings to more closely match your goals and risk tolerances. For example, you can get more conservative by adding increasing your bond allocation, or more risky by adding a small-cap index fund. There are many ways to do this, and no right answer since this step is about making your one-size-fits-all starting portfolio and turning it into what works best for you. By the way, for many people, this will mean no changes to the 5-fund approach ... it really it a good fit for most people without overthinking it.

b. Work to make your portfolio more tax efficient. You'll learn to put the tax-inefficient funds in your 401k/IRA and the tax-efficient funds in your taxable (normal) account (https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tax-efficient_fund_placement).

Don't worry if you don't understand 4a/4b now; those are goals for future, smarter you.

5. Stay the course. Stick to your strategy.
>>
>>1859796
Thanks for the lesson, anon. Very much appreciated. Not even memeing
>>
>>1859796
This is by far the most helpful thing I've ever seen on this website. Thank you.

Now for some dumb questions:
> Can you take money in and out of VGSIX (or any index fund) at any age penalty free?
> How do 401k investment accounts differ, despite the restrictions and tax benefits? For instance, can you have a Roth IRA though VGSIX?
> Really just any additional information you could provide on how the process works would be helpful
>>
>>1859812
>>1859826
You're welcome.

>Can you take money in and out of VGSIX (or any index fund) at any age penalty free?
Yes you can take money out of any fund in your taxable (normal) account anytime without penalty. Note: There are a very tiny number of Vanguard funds that have sales fees or trading restrictions, but none of the funds we've been discussing in this thread have any transaction fees or restrictions.

>For instance, can you have a Roth IRA though VGSIX?
You have it backwards. The question should be can you have VGSIX in your Roth IRA? (The answer is yes, btw.)

Think of each account (401K, IRA, taxable) as a container that you can fill with any number of funds, ETFs, stocks and bonds. The account merely determines the tax treatment and restrictions for whatever investments you put inside that account.

>any additional information you could provide on how the process works would be helpful
The process is really simple: You choose what you want to buy and you choose which account to put it in. Obviously some of these accounts (e.g., 401k) may have restrictions about what and how much you can buy. But that's the basics.

https://investor.vanguard.com/mutual-funds/how-to-open-account-online

Really the two most important things are to (a) start early and save as much as you reasonably can, and (b) stick to your plan and don't change your strategy when the market (inevitably) has bad years. If you stay the course for the long-term, you'll maximize the growth potential of your savings, and you'll easily find yourself with a pile of money down the road.
>>
>>1859796
Hi, great post. I just bought The Bogleheads book last night and started reading it. This seems like a great summery of this kind of investing philosophy.

Would a good first account for an IRA just be 2 funds then? VFFVX (Retirement 2055) and VGSIX? Whats the allocation?
>>
>>1859874
>I just bought The Bogleheads book last night and started reading it. This seems like a great summery of this kind of investing philosophy.
Smart choice. I think you'll find it not only makes sense but also really is the best way to maximize the long-term growth of your wealth.

>Would a good first account for an IRA just be 2 funds then? VFFVX (Retirement 2055) and VGSIX? Whats the allocation?
Absolutely, that's a great core portfolio for getting started, and could very well serve you for years to come without any additional tweaks.

Most expert recommendations for the REIT portion of the portfolio fall between 5-15%. I personally think 8-10% is the sweet spot, especially considering that the Total Market allocation in your Target Retirement fund already has some real estate exposure built-in.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.