[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Savings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: download (1).png (6KB, 322x156px)
download (1).png
6KB, 322x156px
> Be 23 years old
> Two years out of college
> Get decent office job
> Pay off all my debts
> Put 10% in my 401k with a 6% match
> Save $15,000 in a simple Savings Account

This is my current situation, and here is my dilemma:
> I don't want to retire at 65 years. I want to retire at 40.

I'll keep 5k in my savings for emergencies, but I would like to take that other 10k and get a Vanguard fund started. Something that will grow decently, that I can continually add to, and that I can live off of when I'm 40 and done with work.

> Does anything like this exist?
> Am I asking too much?
> Will I get hit with fees if I use it early?
> Do I take money out of it to live? Or do I have to withdrawal all of it at once?
> If it is possible, what specifically is the account called?
> Do I diversify into multiple things?

I'm sorry I'm so ignorant about these things - no one ever taught me.
>>
You can just invest normally so you can pull it out anytime but you'll face a bigger tax bill than doing it via 401k(im Australian so not familiar with American retirement schemes)

You can either use vanguard ETF's and buy in bulk amounts every x amount of months to minimise brokerage costs or you can use one of vanguards managed funds which allow regular deposits.
>>
>>1856774
What's the difference between an ETF and a managed fund? Why do I have to buy ETFs in bulk?

Ideally I'd like to just throw every penny I can in when I can so I'm not tempted to spend it.
>>
Bump please
>>
You can put 5.5k in roth IRA, which you can use to invest in just about anything you want. You can withdraw any of your principal, but you have to wait to withdraw any interest until retirement.
>>
>>1856768
>I want to retire at 40.
You'd better win the lottery or have a rich uncle die. Or else that "decent" job had better start at $160K and move up to $400K within 12 years. Otherwise, you're gonna have a normal life and retire at a normal time.
>>
>>1856917
Don't you have to be like 60 to access it? That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

>>1856922
I make 72k and my expenses amount to 26-28k per year. Realistically I can save 30k a year after taxes. If I do that until I'm 40 that's $510k-ish. That's excluding the compound interest that I'm trying to get working for me. That's assuming no pay raises. So it's obviously possible. Now do you have anything constructive to add?
>>
>>1856768
I'm planning on retiring around 40. Just save anything you don't spend and avoid pointless spending.

I've got a roth ira with 30% in ITOT and 30% in DVY with dividends reinvesting as my safe options and i do puts on the last 40%.

Retiring early is just about saving as much as you can as early as you can. If you can avoid spending the majority of your money it should be easy, but most people can barely save anything so it really doesn't matter how you decide to save the money.
>>
>>1856937
>Don't you have to be like 60 to access it?
read
>You can withdraw any of your principal, but you have to wait to withdraw any interest until retirement.
Or just google, if you can't be bothered to do even that minimal amount you're hopeless.
>>
>>1856937
u need like 3 mil minimum to retire unless you wanna live in a cabin
>>
I'm a dumbass who bought several hundred in Vanguard stock VAB and for a few months it's just been sinusoidaling. Should I take it out and try something else?
>>
>>1856937
>my expenses amount to 26-28k per year.
That's a pretty shit life, to be honest. Barely above poverty level. Hardly something to aspire to.

Not to mention, that your cost of living is only going to increase as you get older. Unless you're you're some freak who magically get healthier as he ages?
>>
>>1856953
Open Roth IRA, save up $1000, buy into STAR. Save until $3000, transfer into target date fund for date closest to your retirement.
>>
>>1856953
>Vanguard stock VAB
You put all your money in a Canadian blended bond fund? And you're surprised its not moonshotting?

Hate to be rude mate, but are you literally brain damaged?
>>
>>1856962
I live in Nebraska, here with no debts I live like a king for 28k. My rent + utilities is 8.2k yearly for a 950 sq ft 1 bedroom apartment in a great location. Probably another 2k for Internet, phone, great work insurance, the rest is food and going out.

>>1856943
If you're just going to tell me Google shit then don't bother posting. Any problem on this site could be solved with research, I can here to ask questions and then converse about topics, cunt.

>>1856945
Honestly my cost of living isn't that bad at all. I could probably live off the interest of 1 mill, maybe work when/if I care to.

>>1856966
Can you explain this in greater detail?

> I thought you had to be 55 to access ROTH IRA? That they were used for retirement?
>>
>>1856984
>I thought you had to be 55 to access ROTH IRA
>If you're just going to tell me Google shit then don't bother posting
This is the third time I'm saying this. You can access up to the total amount you put in, only the interest in deferred until retirement.

You are useless, you will not retire early, if you are ever able to retire at all. You can't help yourself even given direction.
>>
>>1856984
>I live like a king
>a 950 sq ft 1 bedroom apartment in Nebraska
Choose one.
>>
>>1857013
WE
>>
Figure out how much money you'll probably need per year to live off of.

Multiply that by 25.

That's the amount you need to have. Backwards plan off of that. You probably want a more equities heavy approach. Traditional retirement accounts usually lock your shit in until you're 65. Be warned.

>and don't get married
>>
>>1856768
Throw everything you have into eth
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.