[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starting a small IT shop?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: antivirus.png (577KB, 960x528px) Image search: [Google]
antivirus.png
577KB, 960x528px
Ok so my strength is computers, would it be worthwhile to start a small generic IT business. I'm thinking it could take two different angles, either people or other small businesses.

I'm just so sick of programming all day, but I don't have any other skills. If I only had to stare at the computer screen 50% of the time I would be so much happier with my life.

>people
Cybercrime response for normies and old people. Basically deal with the fallout from scams/phishing and assist them detailing what happened to police if necessary (McAffee did this but with teh computer viruses instead).
People might be distrustful after getting fucked over, but so many people end up with compromised facebook and email accounts, I could explain what happened and set them up with a password manager.

Obviously home networks, file backup and the like also.

Probably not a lot of demand, but maybe if I make a name for myself. I bet a lot of semi rich people could be paranoid enough to pay for my cybersecurity services.

>businesses
Basically everything above, but more complex network config, higher security needs, more budget, websites/servers, software management. There is a lot more opportunity, but breaking in might be hard. Small companies will just do this shit themselves and large ones won't go to Joe's IT.
>>
It's hard to make a name for yourself but once you gain a few customers referrals will drive your business forward
>>
>>1852411
>It's hard to make a name for yourself but once you gain a few customers referrals will drive your business forward

Yeah I'd worry that I wouldn't get any customers. You only need a network setup once, so say I resort to cold calling most businesses are already content with the old router that's been chugging along for years now. I could resell MS 365, but that seems even more soul crushing than being a code monkey.

I dunno man, its one of those things where I have the idea and the vision, but don't know what service I'd actually provide.
>>
Where the /g/ posters at? I know a bunch of you are programmers / IT workers. Some of you must have thoughts on going rogue?
>>
>>1852405
I'd go with businesses. But here's the deal, you should go in first as a contractor, establish a relationship and do a good job to sell more work. Once it gets over a certain threshold you bring on someone else. At that point you're running a professional service, you grow your team on that one client. Meanwhile you look around for other open contract positions, fill them yourself or with one of your employees. Rinse, repeat. Establish beach heads at as many of the local companies as possible.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.