[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need a bit of advice. I have the opportunity to get a master's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Graduation-college.jpg (291KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Graduation-college.jpg
291KB, 2000x1000px
Need a bit of advice. I have the opportunity to get a master's in engineering at a pretty decent American college, which would cost me about $100k. My undergrad is in a shit-tier meme science field, so if I go for this I can expect a starting salary of about $80-90k versus $20-30k if I stick with what I have now. Also I think I'd personally enjoy engineering more than science. I also currently have no debt, with savings of about $30-35k. So, I basically have two options:
1) Go for the degree and take the debt.
2) Try to get into a cheaper school, which would take me a year during which I'd save roughly $15-20k from working.
What would be the best option for me, financially-speaking? Can you think of anything else I can try doing?
>>
>>1845895
Do a what if analysis:
possibility N°1: keep current job and invest 100k in some instrument
possibility N°2: get 100k worth education, account wages lost, account future wages at 80k

possibility worth more in present value is the one you should go for
>>
>>1845895

Why would it take you a year for a cheaper college? Unless graduate studies admissions is different, I think you should be able to get in by fall semester if you bust your ass. $100k sounds expensive so unless you're an international student, I would look for a cheaper (quality) school. I was able to save about half of my salary per year after graduating making $80k, so it's certainly possible to recoup your losses quickly from paying for tuition and all of that.

A degree from an American university will drastically improve your earning capabilities for life.
>>
>>1845895
Masters in engineering doesn't help you. A company will think that you could invent the same devices with a Bs as an Ms but now have to pay you more for it.
>>
>>1845906
All the application deadlines have passed.

>>1845907
It will help me because my undergrad isn't in engineering, whereas after the masters I'll be able to get engineering jobs.
>>
>>1845906
Also forgot to mention that I am an international student.
>>
>>1845910

Application deadlines are flexible if you make a good case and are a decent student. But you'd have to get on it and start contacting universities. Trust me, universities love making extra cash from international students.
>>
>>1845910
You could just get a bachelors in engineering...
>>
>>1845936
How will that help over a masters? A lot of the top schools don't let you study there for a second bachelors, and it'll take me 4 years as opposed to 1.5 years tops with the masters.
>>
>>1845895
prestigious names hold no value in stem degrees, employers know that rigid autism is not unique and mostly don't care, the only time it matters is for soft subjects where 99% of students graduate
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.