[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is it like to work in an efficiently organised company?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1485935869970.jpg (42KB, 500x320px) Image search: [Google]
1485935869970.jpg
42KB, 500x320px
What is it like to work in an efficiently organised company?
>>
No idea. Every company I've worked for is ridiculously unorganized.
>>
No idea.
>>
>>1842561
no such thing,
>>
>>1842563
>>1842583
>>1842589

Kek.
We just got a controller here who checks if we proceed by a law that noone here knows and understands, whilr the two main responsibles are away on holiday. Only people left started last week, except for one guy.
What a clusterfuck.
>>
>>1842563
This
>internal policy at a bank requires that all emails with SSNs are sent through an encrypted service
>no one enforces this
>>
>>1843224
Regulations for EU funded projects require us to take three offers from different companies for office supply. The offers have to list all the details and we have to justify on one page text why we picked the offer.
>it takes several weeks to get a sim card, laptop, calendars, telephones, office chairs
>Southern Europe countries scam EU money by the millions through the same structures
>we get interviewed about office supplies
>>
>>1843282
Kek that is pretty ridiculous
>yeah so we interviewed some IKEA guys, they seemed pretty good but we need to check with office depot for some chairs

How tf do you write a page report on that?
>>
>>1843300
And more importantly: How do you resist the urge to fuck with the reader with some amazon troll type reviews?
>>
>>1842561
Not a clue.

Got 50 employees here and like 12 of the family owned places wives just sit in the office and work 4 times as hard ducking calls and relaying messages then they do working.

Legit put a recording app on my phone and from now on i call the office and inform them of shit once. Then remind that exact same person 3 more times and drop it.

Currently looking at equipment over 100,000 hours past due for fluid changes. 10k over for motor oil on some. 4 fire extinguishers are fucked and this building is cedar.

Etc...

My paperwork im supposed to fill out is due in 2 days and i dont even have copies.

Have to have specific ordered papers to fill out and regulated by the government.

Gonna cost hundreds of thousands in fines.

If and when i get fired again im going to court and explaining every single bitch they have about me has been reported no less than 4 times
>>
There is no such thing.

Effeciency is not the same thing as effectiveness.

Even the best offices are inefficient b/c they are trying to accomplish tasks that are not just lowest cost of resources (including time).

Truly efficient operations would have a higher level of failure, because efficiency is based on standardized processes that require the least effort/resources. This precludes rapid adaptation.

More to the point, most people's primary objective at work is to remain employed. If the incentive is always to have a lot of work to do, there is not an incentive to get it done quickly and effectively.

Also, most managers are promoted for being proficient (or at least seeming to be proficient) at the tasks themselves, not for their ability to effectively direct others in completing those tasks and holding them accountable for their results. This manifests itself in rewarding 'busy" workers that have lots of work to do rather than rewarding those who effectively execute their tasks efficiently.
>>
>>1843728
I see these problems all the time in my workplace but try to build the rewards for my team on getting results quickly. Our team mantra is "finish."

On Sunday evenings, i come up with a list of tasks for my employees for the week, based off of monthly, quarterly and yearly objectives we set together. I ask my employees to send me theirs (blind - they have not seen mine yet). because they don't want to get called out for "missing" a task that I identified, they usually have more tasks for themselves than I have for them.

I then combine the task lists for each employees and that is their weekly assignment list, with the understanding that other items may be added later. This requires trust from them that I won't just add items willy nilly. this trust is earned over time.

If they wrap up their tasks early, we discuss if there are items for the upcoming weeks that would benefit from early attention. Then we map out additional time off.

So, if they efficiently meet their weekly objectives at high quality, they can usually cut out early w pay on a Friday or Thursday evening, or manage their own schedules if they need to show up late or cut out early or take a long lunch. They are accountable for completing their tasks, not looking busy and sitting at a desk.

They all get about 3 weeks of vacation a year anyow, but if they want additional time off, like a long weekend or something, they have the responsibility of looking at the long term objectives and bringing me a workplan that accelerates the tasks. If they do this, I am happy to "adjust their schedule temporarily" to accommodate their time off.

They appreciate the flexibility and trust they earn. I appreciate the work getting done on time and their willingness to pitch in extra when we need extra work to be done.
>>
>>1843763

I love you
>>
>>1843763
You're a big manager
>>
>>1843769
ha
the other managers dont.

the key is hiring well and holding people accountable early. I end up firing more people than other managers, too, because even though I counsel employees on how to succeed on our team and give them written improvement plans, some people just want to get by on the least effort they can.

The rest of the team holds them accountable, too, not by tattling, but doing their job and offering assistance. the whole team gets rewards when the work is done. I will buy a couple rounds of drinks or dinner or whatever, just small things, if EVERYONE finishes early. If there is even one person who isnt done, I stay in the office with them and usually a couple other team members pitch in to help. Hold the group back too often and you stop getting help and you stick out like 14 inch cock.

The other managers just let it slide and dont understand. Their employees always complain that they never get extra time off, so the managers just give it away and end up working 80 hour weeks so they dont get yelled at.

I take 2-3 hour lunches at the gym 2-3x a week and come in late or leave early on the regular because I know my team is hustling and dont need me to do their work. My team finishes.

This leaves me open to accepting special projects that are usually more interesting and offer more opportunity for recognition.

This, the other managers hate me because thir employees hate them and our mutual bosses give me awards.

On the other hand, I have a bit of a reputation organization wide as a hard ass and a hatchet man. But I have really low turnover, its just that their people quit (good and bad) and my people stay or get promoted - unless they cant hack it and then I send them off.
>>
>>1843799
Apart from the control and the whip, would you say its the actual time and benefits you offer them or the emotional experience of reaching a set goal, being appreciated and seen?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.