[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bail-in Legislation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 1

File: 143109871332.jpg (12KB, 337x253px) Image search: [Google]
143109871332.jpg
12KB, 337x253px
Hello /biz/.
Could any kind anons fill me in on bail-in legislation?
I've only heard that it's a countermeasure to another GFC, but at first glance it seems so counter-intuitive and not likely to ever pass through most governments.
What are the consequences of it? Why is it being suggested in the first place? What's stopping private account-holders from simply withdrawing their savings as cash?
>>
>>1837436
It's already law in a lot of places, btw, and generally there are exceptions for small-time private account-holders. The EU bank resolution directive (2014/59/EU) for instance excempts (among other things) collateralized debt, trustee money, salaries and any protected/guaranteed deposits (up to 100k for private individuals in the EU). They obviously don't want to go after your granny's savings account.

I think the main thrust is not taking money from deposits, but going after bond owners, typically the large insitiutional investors holding hundreds of millions in bonds, and subjecting them to a haircut or converting the debt they hold to equity. Several of the failed banks post-2008 showed the same pattern: As they announced the troubles, their bonds obviously tanked, because of the very imminent default risk. Then big high-risk funds swooped in and bought up billions in debt for a bargain (knowing full well this was a high-risk investment). When the governments finally stepped in and saved the banks, they started suing for full repayment and interest based on the bonds they owned.

It created a lot of political outrage and was seen as unfair by many. Why should the tax payer be held liable for the massive profits of high-risk speculative investors? So for the future they want people taking on higher risks to also shoulder a higher burden during the resolution of the bank. It's a countermeasure, since the actions post-2008 would otherwise indicate that "too big to fail" would equal "risk free investment", since the public will have to step in no matter what. A bail-in tries to bring back market-forces to securities issued by large banks.
>>
>>1837518
Large banks obviously hate it, because it tanks their credit rating since for the first time in a long while their creditors actually have to somewhat fear a default.

Partly to prevent this legislation and partly to alleviate the impact, they created their own little bail-in system with co-co bonds. Also shows that there was a need for bail-in, but without the threat of legislations I doubt many banks would have cared.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.