[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I saved up 50k to buy a house. Got laid off and can no longer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: City - Rain - 1468658093264.jpg (661KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
City - Rain - 1468658093264.jpg
661KB, 1500x1000px
I saved up 50k to buy a house. Got laid off and can no longer afford a house.

I've been thinking about starting my own business for a couple months and find it an odd coincidence in timing. But, none the less, what can I start for $50k and make $60k+ a year in salary?

I'm willing to move almost anywhere in the world, but am currently in the US.
>>
>>1835363
What are your skills and passions? What niches do you know (not necessarily be good at)?
>>
>>1835365
I'm fairly good at a lot of things, but I studied cameras and have won awards for my commercials. The problem is, I have yet to find a job that pays more than $45k a year. And, starting my own production company hasn't worked in the last 5 years I've tried.

I have interests in hydroponics, automotive, editing and 2D visual effects, pretty much anything travel and culture, writing, and I'm currently helping my girlfriend start a fashion company. I pretty much just do her graphic work and she is currently making tech packets and samples. Oh, and I'm studying game coding. But I would in no way consider that a skill yet.

I can read Japanese but not speak it. I simply want to make money, put my family in a house, and work towards a retirement at this point. Willing to invest what I have in order to propel myself into a better career/future.
>>
>>1835404
Have you tried being a freelance TV camera operator yet? They make good money
>>
>>1835413
I have, but nobody is hiring locally and I can't seem to get a call back cities away. I live in Reno, NV, btw. I've applied to Nor Cal, Portland, Salt Lake City, and Boise. I've considered LA, but I've visited a few times and didn't care for it. May move for the right price, though.
>>
how old are you?
>>
>>1835404
Be a wedding photographer faggot.

You can make 8-12k a month if you're good.

Startup cost is fairly low.

Offer website access, along with classic photo print books.

Almost guaranteed additional clients via word of mouth.

Downside: it's a lot of work, planning, and coordination with the client.

Use to be an assistant to a wedding photographer before he moved up to bigger better things. But it paid his bills until he moved on.
>>
>>1835418
>>1835420
Wedding photog was one of the worst things I've ever done. Soon as I got a chance to get out of it, I took it.

Also, I'm not sure where you pulled those numbers but I know two wedding gents and they work their balls off for ~$4k a month here. And I have yet to hear them talk about it in a positive manor. They don't offer all that stuff. They basically offer free back-up and all their shots on USB or disc.

If I get desperate, I'll do it again, but it I don't know anyone even close to those numbers and it is indeed very difficult work. Mainly because of the client.
>>
>>1835416
Yeah its tough when you're not in a large market. I don't know any crewers out that way either :/
>>
>>1835430
Should I be looking at the East Coast? Didn't really think I could afford living there. Georgia had new film laws pass didn't they? Like a year or two ago? How's it past Colorado?
>>
>>1835435
I'm on the east coast. And I'm a TD, not a camera op but it's probably not much different. I did the freelance thing for a while but now I'm fulltime at a network (I kinda hate it tho)

I have a friend out in Colorado but he wasnt doing much TV stuff until recently. It's all about connections
>>
>>1835435
Wedding photog, although shitty, is good money and steady work. And $50k is more than enough if you don't already have a decent rig
>>
>>1835447
Yea, I just can't do another wedding gig. Not yet. Not desperate enough and don't need to scrounge a job to pay bills yet. Still have money in the bank to burn through.

I'm more interest in my original post, though. I'd like to start something. Was looking for ideas that can be done with $50k or less.
>>
>>1835494
real estate photography?
>>
>>1835496
I can try that. I'll look around and see if anyone needs that service.
>>
>>1835363
>putting money into potentionally disastrous venture instead of using them to secure permanent shelter

Sounds like wonderful idea.
>>
>>1835539
Sooooo, I'm not sure why you would assume I wouldn't do my research first, but if you could show me a 4+ bedroom house with at least an acre of land for $50k, within 15 minutes of a major city with steady work, I'm down for that.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.