[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mutual Index Funds

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

I am looking to put 20k into mutual index funds that I have saved from working in the military. How much money can I expect to make off of mutual index funds?

>How much money have you put in/made off of mutual index funds?
>>
>>1826992

Nothing for 5 years

There will be a correction

It doesn't matter anyway, just buy and hold

I wouldn't do lump sum investing right now, just buy in once a month
>>
>>1827001
>There will be a correction

What kind of correction? What should I buy and hold? Why wouldn't you do lump sum investing right now? Too risky? What should I buy in once a month?
>>
Don't dump your entire savings into investing at once.

Open up an account with the minimum, then contribute X every month to a diverse ETF selection.

>>1827001
You must be 18 to post on this website.
>>
>>1827011
But I saved this 20k for the sole purpose of investing. I want more money and I do not want to be poor. Suggestions?
>>
File: Capture.png (24KB, 1328x310px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
24KB, 1328x310px
>>1827012
Let me put this into perspective for somebody with ignorance (doesn't mean you're stupid, just ill informed).

You drop $20K into SPY in 1999 instead of making incremental deposits. Your $20K would be $53,281 today.

You drop $1K into SPY in 1999, and make an additional $1,000 deposit once a year. Your $20K is worth $60,469 today.

When you go all in at once, you're subject to the fluctuations of the market. When you contribute periodically, you will average down during recessions and take advantage of the lower prices.

If you want to dump all $20K in at once then go for it, but you should be contributing at least 5% of your initial investment every year in order to take advantage of the fluctuations. 10% is best.

I started with $2K in 2010 and I've been saving up $100 a month, to add an additional $1,200 once a year to my position. If you were to do the same, your portfolio should look something like this.
>>
>>1827046
Thanks for the information. I will keep that in mind and only add incrementally. How much have you put in so far and how much have you made? How much should I expect to make over a period of 5 years if I put in 20k? Or is the market that variable?

Any other advice or places that I should put my investments? Thanks again.
>>
>>1827063
Depends on a ton of factors. You do know it's free right to speak with a financial adviser at a bank or credit union? They will try selling you their shit investment packages that average 4% a year but just ignore it and ask all the questions you want then leave. Beats asking an anime image board with small dead niche boards dedicated to shit posting.
>>
>>1827067
True that. Thanks for the advice friend! Have a good day. 4chan is a good medium to get better advice out there and I think I will go talk to a financial adviser.
>>
>>1827083
Being in the military, don't you have services for free financial counseling?
>>
>>1827083
Do NOT fucking buy mutual funds. Learn what MER is. Vanguard is God Tier and will save u moneez big time.
>>
>>1827093
>MER
>Vanguard

What do I look up for this? Any links?
>>
>>1827046
i bought spy at 106
>>
>>1827094
here's where I started
http://www.kiplinger.com/article/investing/T030-C007-S001-6-vanguard-index-funds-to-buy-and-hold-forever.html
I picked up VIOO this week and it's already doing well.
>>
>>1827223
>steven (((goldberg)))

I'm sold senpai, thanks
>>
File: InvestGoy.gif (313KB, 500x346px) Image search: [Google]
InvestGoy.gif
313KB, 500x346px
>>1827245
the nose knows
i'll be investing in Vanguard and precious metals as the main part of my portfolio from now on.
>>
>>1827001

everyone has been saying this for 5 years

The truth is no one knows
>>
>>1826992

VTI baby.

You should expect to get 5% to 10% a year
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.