[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Biz student studying economics. Why do economists and the fed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

File: cps_unemp_1948.png (28KB, 580x478px) Image search: [Google]
cps_unemp_1948.png
28KB, 580x478px
Biz student studying economics. Why do economists and the fed cite U3 instead of U6?

Gov you can say they want to paint a rosey picture, but why would economists use it? My faggot professor won't tell me.
>>
>>1823438
Because that's the standard you dumb fuck. Otherwise every day you'd be having to explain what marginally attached and discouraged workers are to the general population who has an average nigger IQ of 85.

> why would economists use it
Because it's the OFFICIAL rate of the BLS you dumb fuck. They simply provide alternative measures.

Why don't they just use U-1? Or U-5? What a stupid fucking question.
>>
>>1823461
t. professor
>>
>>1823462
Next he's going to pull a Trump and say that 42% of the country is unemployed.
>>
File: 1465524979053.gif (883KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1465524979053.gif
883KB, 250x250px
>>1823461
>BECAUSE IT'S THE STANDARD *autistic screeching*

What a stupid fucking answer. WHY is it the standard?

>Otherwise every day you'd be having to explain what marginally attached and discouraged workers are to the general population who has an average nigger IQ of 85.

Bullshit. No one explains how the gov calculates the U3 to the layman currently. Why would they the U6?

>>1823469
I'm a libcuck. I think Trump and /pol/ are literal cancer, but thanks.

Aside from the U6 being a little more volatile, they both stay parallel. What I want to know is why one over the other?
>>
File: 071413krugman1-jumbo.png (19KB, 480x378px) Image search: [Google]
071413krugman1-jumbo.png
19KB, 480x378px
>>1823438
Your studying the discipline of economics, so don't fall into the pitfalls of picking and choosing data and information that best proves your case.

U3 and U6 are just a collection of data used to guage the overall health of the economy. If I want the quickest way to asses the current labor market with making the least assumptions, I would use the U3.

The reason U3 is primarily used is due to its clarity. If someone is working two part-time jobs, and has been for years, but would jump at a full time position with better hours, would it be wise for me to count them as unemployed?

So it all comes down to what your interested in trying to address. The good news is that the U3 and U6 move in the same direction, so you wouldn't be incorrect in looking at one over the other.
>>
>>1823477
www.bls.gov

You're so fucking stupid. Why don't you read how they calculate it and why ON THEIR FUCKING SITE they report U-3.

Jesus, I remember when I was in undergrad and I don't think I was as retarded as you.
>>
>>1823488
Thanks. That nuance makes sense.

>>1823496
Where? You did the equivalent of linking wikipedia and yelling
>IT'S RIGHT THERE

Point out specifically where on the BLS it's stated WHY they use U3 over U6. Not definitions, but why.
>>
>Why do we use the mile and not the kilometer?
>>
>>1823502
idk, why do we?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.