[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I continue my education to get a BS in Accounting, or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1475321171139.jpg (103KB, 1000x746px) Image search: [Google]
1475321171139.jpg
103KB, 1000x746px
Should I continue my education to get a BS in Accounting, or should I try switching to IT?

>Age

>Education
Associate's in Accounting

>Job/Career
Staff Accountant at a manufacturing plant. I do payroll, invoices, inventory/supply ordering, fixing printer jams, etc. Pretty much all the bitch work in front office. I make $22/hour, working Monday-Friday 8AM-5PM. I get an unpaid hour lunch, unlike the salaried front office pricks that can take a 4 hour long lunch break going out shopping and running personal errands if they want, then coming back asking me why their work wasn't completed.

>NET Income
I take home about $1,350 every 2 weeks, or $2,700 a month.

>Monthly Expenses ($2,550)
Car Insurance: $70
Car Fuel: $100
Cell Phone: $130
Christmas Savings Fund: $100
Food + Household Items: $400
Health Insurance: $150 (medical, dental, vision, and life)
Housing: $950 (rent + utilities)
Shopping: $400 (eating out, video games, clothes, whatever I want)
Student Loans: $50
Subscriptions: $60 (Apple Music, Amazon Prime, etc.)
TV + Internet: $140

As you can tell, I barely have any money to save after my expenses. It's currently going into a second savings account to be an emergency fund. I don't want to cut back to save because I would rather kill myself than make compromises just to have money 40 years from now when there's not even a guarantee I will be alive next week.

So I want to increase my income. What should I do?
>>
You're in school still and making 22 / hr? That's pretty on par with intern salaries. Don't get a shit IT degree, CS or bust. IT is just computer janitor.

I think you should stay the course on finance. A lot of earning potential there, just work toward the best positions.

You can dump those subscriptions and buy a VPN for < 5$ a month and torrent all that bullshit. Check out cheaper phone plans too, Cricket, TMobi. Kill the TV subscription too and do just internet.
>>
>>1822117
>Housing: $950 (rent + utilities)

Never pay more than 25% of your income in rent.
>>
>>1822153
$675 couldn't get you anything around here. I'm living at the cheapest complex around that isn't income restricted. Maybe I could rent out a room and it would drop my housing costs to ~$500 a month plus 50/50 utilities.
>>
>>1822145
Don't you have to go to an Ivy to get a good job in finance?
>>
>>1822117
CS major here. Finish Accounting, get your CPA. Any fag can work in IT. I went back for an MBA it was expensive as shit and I do a mix in consulting now wish I was Accounting Finance the whole time. IT/CS is for offshore laborers
>>
>>1822117
>Cell Phone: $130
seems like a really expensive upkeep for a cell phone, surely you can get a cheaper plan or something?
>Subscriptions: $60 (Apple Music, Amazon Prime, etc.)
Do you need all these subscriptions, do you use the utility enough to warrant having the subscription?
>TV + Internet: $140
For TV and internet this seems overpriced too, although I don't really watch TV
>Shopping: $400 (eating out, video games, clothes, whatever I want)
$100 week free spending money seems reasonable

your cell phone expense looks high I would look into getting a cheaper plan if I was you
>>
>>1822117
Too much. Way too much. Pretty sure you could spend less.
For real? Get your shit together and spend less money on video games, eating out...
Do you really need to spend 60 Dollars on a game you play for one month?
>Student Loans: $50
Debt should always be a priority! Not only your student loan debt but also credit cards.
I've never met someone outside the US who is so unconcerned with their debt. Not realizing how crazy it is to pay huge interest rates for their credit cards.
Do you really need all of this? I don't know if you pay for Netflix, but if you do, do you really need it?
WHAT THE FUCK
Please explain to me how the fuck it is possible to pay 140 Dollars a month?
I pay around 50 Dollars here. Internet + TV + our fucking media tax.
>>
is this shit rrally so expensive in the US? Im from austria and pay

cellphone: 15€ (unlimited messages, minutes and internet)
subsriptions: 0€, pirate everything
tv+internet: 30€
shopping: 200€ (food and stuff...)
>>
>>1824110
Don't know if it is the case for OP but I am assuming it is their "consumerism mindset".

>getting unlimited data for their cellphone so they could stream music all the time, watching videos/movies on their phone
>buying packages they do not use (TV package with 200 channels and they watch maybe 10)
>300 Dollar Sneaker, getting a new cellphone every year, a new TV every two years, sunglasses for 200 Dollar...
>but also small things they do not even realize, a dollar here, a dollar there, vending machines, a five dollar snack at the gas station
>>
>>1824131
Yeah but things are less expensive in Austria according to Austria bro. He is saying a phone plan with unlimited data in Austria is 15 euros. That's ridiculous.
>>
>>1824139
This is why I asked why it is so expensive in the US.

You have 'unlimited data' but it is also common to throttle data as soon as you exceed a specific data volume. So 15-20 Euro is about right for the normal user. Germany here by the way.
But I have never met somebody who is paying more than 50 Euro monthly (private user). My own brother pays around 60 Euro a month for his business phone and he uses it all the time, streaming music, checking mails, constant calls, thousands messages, sending and receiving data packages. He is getting throttled down maybe at the end of the month and he has no problem to get work done even with lower speed. Especially today where you are constantly near a WiFi signal.
>>
>>1822117
bruh you dont need 130 dumped into cellphone. i live off of wifi and 100mb a month at $45 cad
imo too much money. you could probabl stretch yourself on $200 a month.
>student loans of $50
wow im actually jealous of you on this one.
i stand to pay about $300CAD a month when im done school.
so you have a subscription to those services but youre paying for TV at the same time?
why not cut off TV and go for a cheaper package.
>>
>>1822117
>>>1822145
>Don't you have to go to an Ivy to get a good job in finance?

No you just have to be affluent and get connected with people that are successful. I go to a state school and have a friend that just graduated and is now on wall street clearing at least 250 a year already.
>>
>>1822117
What country are you from ? I suggest going with IT unless you live a civilized first world country.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.