[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First time investing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: hurr im a durr.jpg (17KB, 334x317px) Image search: [Google]
hurr im a durr.jpg
17KB, 334x317px
I've been very interested in stocks ever since I was a young kid. For all that interest however, I've never actually bought/sold/traded a stock in my entire life. I just set up an online account (TD Ameritrade), but I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm not necessarily looking for investment advice, as much as information on how this works. I have a few stocks in mind that I think I'd like to buy, but I don't know how it works. I recall seeing there is a $9.99 commission, for buying a stock(please correct me if I'm wrong). What exactly does this mean? Do I have to pay $9.99 for each share I buy, or every time I buy shares in any quantity, or is it something else?

If I wanted to buy 50 shares of a company's stock, do I have to pay $9.99 for each share or just $9.99 total for the whole transaction? What about if I'm buying shares of several different companies at a time? Also what impact will all of this have on my taxes? It's my understanding that capital gains tax is only paid after a stock is sold, but are there any other taxes I need to be aware of? Also if I sell a stock and need to pay capital gains, does this happen automatically like a sales tax, or do I need to keep records, and pay it when I get my taxes done? As you can probably tell I'm thoroughly inexperienced and ignorant.

I save about $100-$150/ month and that has always just gone into a savings account. I'd like to start investing in stocks, buying stock every time I get paid, but depending on how this $9.99 commission works, maybe I'm best off saving the money and buying a lot of stock all at once, a couple times/year. If anybody has any advice they'd be willing to share with an investing virgin I would really appreciate it. I'm kind of excited to get started but at the same time feel like I may have jumped into this too quickly; I probably should have had the answers to my questions prior to opening an account.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
>>
>>1821033
The $9.99 is for each time you buy no matter the quantity, some do deal per share though.
>>
>>1821033
Every time you do a transaction you are charged $10. It's like tipping at a restaurant.
>>
>>1821039
>>1821044
>>1821039
>>1821044
I see; thank you. Does it make sense to buy stock less frequently, but in larger quantities to minimize fees paid?
>>
>>1821033
Additional thought,

you should not start off day trading, or, buying/selling within one day. Swing trading (weekly to quarterly price movements) or traditional buy and hold (over 1 year) are your best bet to avoid account churning, or, overpaying commission. You can't even day trade without $25k because thats the account minimum you need to get intraday settlement in the US.
>>
>>1821053
Absolutely not.

You buy at a predetermined risk level. So if you research a company and you love it then you're going to want to buy more If feel it isn't worth risking a lot on then you cap it to a percentage of your portfolio (portfolio = all your investment assets).

Remember a stock represents a claim on a company and no matter your strategy you should remember that.
>>
>>1821055
>>1821058
Ok, that makes sense. Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge and experience experience with me. I know it's probably obvious second-nature concepts to most people on /biz/, but to a dumb, inexperienced noob like myself it's really great that you're willing to share your knowledge and maybe help me avoid doing this really stupidly. I'll keep researching, but I really appreciate your help
>>
>>1821071
You aren't born into this field. We all started where you were, mate.
>>
>>1821071

I don't know if TDA still does this, but it use to be that if you told them you went with dough, they would give you a discount from $9.99 to $7 per trade.
>>
>>1821077

Also, how much money do you have to invest?
>>
>>1821092
I have about $4000, and no debt. I haven't definitively decided how much I'm going to be investing, but I'm thinking of starting out at about $1000. Depending on how this goes, and if I get into the swing of things I'm probably willing to invest $3,000. I'm completely open to any other suggestions though, of course.
>>
>>1821115
Get CFA study material.

It'll give you an edge along with internet research. Just buy a level one set for now.
>>
>>1821115

If you just want to throw your money and have it grow, you'll probably end up buying some combination of

>SPY
>VTI
>VOO
>BND

or other large funds that track the market.

The only thing is that, the market is high, some say its overvalued, and people are on edge about whether a correction is coming. I think one thing you need to come to terms with is how soon do you need this money? Because if a correction happens, you won't want to liquidate it until the value comes around, otherwise you come out a loser.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.