[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question about monopolies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: o'hare.jpg (48KB, 600x323px) Image search: [Google]
o'hare.jpg
48KB, 600x323px
I'm a bit interested in economics, and I also happen to enjoy playing some Star Wars the Old Republic on the weekends. (WoW with a star wars skin, basically.). My pals and I earn money in the game by farming bulk amounts of resources and selling them in stacks of a hundred in the auction house. Our biggest problem was the annoyance of people undercutting us by small margins to get the top market listing. I thought about this and decided that we should make a guild based around the concept of creating a virtual materials monopoly. The plan is to have everyone in the guild sell their respective materials at a uniform price established by whoever sells the first stack. If anyone tries to undercut our price, we buy them out. If the competitor is selling too much to buy out realistically, we PM them and tell them about our plan and from what I've experienced they almost always join up with us to keep our plan going. I got my friends plus a few recruits to do this and together we successfully raised the unit price of a material by a good amount. My question is: Has this ever been done on a larger scale in real life? If so, has it ever worked?

Pic unrelated
>>
It's called a cartel.
>>
>>1820808
This
The Seven Sisters oil cartel would be a good example.
>>
>>1820802
>we successfully raised the unit price of a material by a good amount
if you have managed to raise a price of a good by good amount, they major problem is going to become selling all the excess reserves because the price will probably fall, if it doesnt, GJ
>>
>>1820802
Cartels are generally illegal when companies cooperate to gain maximum profit. But OPEC comes to mind as a cartel which operates between all the gulf states and a few others, they control about 80% of the worlds oil.

You need to make sure you are charging the profit maximising price for your goods, so the (Quantity)X(Price)=the biggest number you can get
>>
>>1821944
>they control about 80% of the worlds oil.
try 37%
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.