[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the fuck do you learn in Computer Science?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: champagnepepe.jpg (21KB, 500x435px)
champagnepepe.jpg
21KB, 500x435px
Basically can someone give me a quick rundown on Computer Science degree? What do you learn, how much do you get paid, is it a shitty meme, is it hard.. etc.
>>
>>1813456
bump. I need the answers
>>
Go to a university website and find their course outline
>>
>>1813456
>gen ed
>shit ton of math/algorithms
>basic programming
>focus on one language c++ or Java usually
>physics and stuff for hardware
>>
>>1813456
My aunt works in HR and she said they throw CS degrees in the trash immediately lol
>>
File: arturia9.jpg (3MB, 2494x3654px) Image search: [Google]
arturia9.jpg
3MB, 2494x3654px
>>1813456
I am a final year CS major

CS as a topic is very broad, "What do you learn" can range from anything to academia (Mathematic proofs of algorithms) to industrial (Web design, back end programming maintenance, to program design and creation).

Apparently the pay is decent wherever, like anything else, if you're good at it, you'll make money.

Hard is relative, for the most part, if you're looking to become an industrial programming or web designer, no its not hard.

Remember, if you don't actually enjoy it, you wont end up anywhere so don't fool yourself

>>1813656
Only real answer
>>
>>1813456
I majored in CS and have been working as a software engineer for 3 years now. In school they teach you algorithms and data structures, and then you move on to other stuff that can very from program to program and school to school. Most touch on low level stuff like C and the basics of how operating systems and networks work. A lot may also go even lower and talk about how processors work and interpret assembly languages (basically one level of abstraction higher than 1s and 0s).

How much you get paid depends on where you live. Most CS jobs are in San Jose area, Boston, or NYC. In Cali you can make as much as $100k right out of college. You might be able to make that in NYC. In Boston I wouldn't expect more than roughly $80k right out of college, but the cost of living is lower too.
>>
>>1813456
>how much do you get paid
This is relative to what you learn. Web development, app design, etc. are bottom-barrel jobs. You can learn the entirety of web design in three months. That means that poo-in-loos from India can also learn the same thing in three months.

If you want to succeed as a software engineer, you need to specialize into something with value, that can't be easily outsourced. These paths are usually lined with math--Security, Data Science, that sort of thing.

It's a major that's only as hard as you make it. The more effort you put in, the more difficult it is, the bigger your payout. Like all things in life.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.