[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Switching Careers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1422402737862.jpg (53KB, 512x368px) Image search: [Google]
1422402737862.jpg
53KB, 512x368px
Has anyone on /biz/ switched from a career they don't like to a completely different industry they actually enjoy? If so, how did you do it?

Did you have to start from the bottom and work your way up in the new industry or were you able to find a lateral position?
>>
>>1810436
Sure did.

Worked in leadership/MGT roles in hospitality for 5-6 years, mainly hotels. Hated it.

Ended up asking a friend to get me an entry level public sector job, worked my ass off, and back in similar MGT role in less than a year.

Now I love what I do.
>>
>>1810471
How'd you swing it in less than a year?
>>
>>1810436
I'm considering dropping out of my third year in pharmacy school to study comp sci if that counts.
I'd be able to get the bs in probs 3-2.5 years.
I dunno gonna study C+ over this semester and decide.
>>
>>1810508
Two reasons:

First, most government departments (here at least) try to avoid people with MGT or leadership backgrounds. They usually bore easily and move on; I was genuinely just trying to get out of a job I hated. I was honest and told them I wanted a break from the responsibility. Step #1 complete... foot in the door.

Then just comes max level work ethics, I work my ass off regardless of what I'm doing. Sure enough, higher-up roles started freeing up and I'm the obvious choice due to my work and my background.
>>
>>1810521
How much do you make now compared to then?
>>
>>1810556
Hard to say exactly as the hotels had weird pay-bands relating to extra work and overtime. But I am on at least an extra 10k-20k now (2.5 years in).
>>
>>1810561
How much total though? I've always thought about administraive roles in the public sector but am doubtful I could make good money with them.
>>
>>1810563
You'd be surprised.

Private hospitality chain (world-wide brand) only paid around 45K at my peak. That's NZD

Working in the public sector/Government now I am on 64K, and that's only after two-an-a-bit years.
>>
>>1810566
I see. Probably less than I could get in my current path in the financial field. I'm just really not loving the wealth management bullshit. That said, I'm in the customer service side of it so that may be why.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.