[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good Software/Service for Practicing Investing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

So, hello /biz/. I am an undergrad econ student who is trying to go into quant. finance, and I figured I should finally learn how to actually invest (all I know currently is useless theory), and so I tried to find something that would allow me to make fake investments and track their progress, so I can become familiar with the field.

However, everything I've found online either sucks gui wise (tdtrade, updown, etc), or does not even allow me to track the progress of investments in a natural and intuitive way (some only had a "weekly review" to see how a portfolio had done).

/biz/, what is a good program or service that actually does a good job of teaching you how to invest in stocks, bonds, and other securities, cause there must be something that's good.
>>
Bump for a good cause pls.
>>
>>1806716
My friend.....The app store...
There are tons for fake trading apps that let you trade real life stocks with fake money. Good practice with zero losses.
Other than that I would recommend you get familiar with excel. If you don't want to buy Microsoft office you could download the free software called Open office. Exact same shit but free.
So yeah...check out the app store and download open office. All free of charge buddy.....
>>
>>1806716
do you know how to program? that is basically a requirement for quant finance. If you do, you can use zipline to simulate historical performance

https://github.com/quantopian/zipline
>>
>>1806716
Just trade with paper and pencil. You're a student and should learn the hard way when it comes to tracking your simulated investments.

This way, you will be forced to think on the spot more about your investments and use more basic mental math. Something you'll need to be more than proficient in when attempting to become a quant.

As for wanting to become a quant, most of them study in a STEM-related field that's not so much related to econ. I suggest double majoring in something like physics and econ if I were you, or choose econ as my minor. This would most certainly change depending on what type of quant you'd want to become, but the fact stands that you should be enrolled in a STEM program that is heavy on mathematics.

Not to mention most quants have PhD's in STEM related subjects. Many of them are already coming up with economic forecasts and models in their undergrad. I'm not trying to deter you, but I'd suggest you turn to /sci/ and talk to them about this stuff before striving to become something like a quant.
>>
If you know german: https://niiio.me
lets you create play-portfolios.
Although the UI is kinda meh and it's more for long-term investments.
>>
>>1806716
It's different with real money on the line. Stop being a pussy and put a few hundred in Robinhood.

I thought the same way as you and spent over a year reading about finance and shit. When I actually ended up putting in my first few trades I could see the flaws in what I read more easily. Currently 11 months in and up 72% (bout 2K profit).

So yeah man up faggot it's part of the journey, putting a few hundred dollars at risk is a small price to get schooled.

t. Fellow Economics student
>>
>>1806914
Is it any different than libreoffice? i'd like to be as close to excel as possible in order for my skills to transfer easier.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.