[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Wealth of Nations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 0226763749.jpg (13KB, 150x235px) Image search: [Google]
0226763749.jpg
13KB, 150x235px
I just checked out this book from my library, as I want to tru and understand economics and the free market system a little better. My question is, is this book still relevant today, and is it worth the read? I plan on reading Thomas Sowell's Basic Economics eventually as well.
>>
Yes

this is the *MOST* important document written in 1776. Sadly, how much of this incorporated now? Little.

It had been said that economics is a "dismal science", that may be true, but at least you will have a REAL OPINION on it after reading this.
>>
No, read the capital.
>>
>>1805778
If you mean Das Kapital by Marx, I'd actually like to read that eventually too, just to understand that line of thinking even though i dont like it
>>
>>1805780
It's a good read. As far as I can tell, Marx's definition of Capitalism includes state intervention (which is the very opposite of what proponents of unfettered Capitalism desire). When he denounces Capitalism, look towards America's giant corporations.
I'm by no means a Marxist, but his heart was in the right place.
>>
It's definitely worth reading. Some chapters do drag on (he even has the courtesy to call those chapters "digressions"), but the book really gets going in Book Three, where he analyzes how the medieval European feudal system evolved into market capitalism.

It's actually fascinating, and full of quotes that you wouldn't expect from the supposed "father of capitalism", such as arguing in favor of progressive tax rates on the rich, and other stuff that Republicans hate.

I read it during the height of the Tea Party/Libertarian craze here in America, around 2010 or 2011, and I was so surprised to read him espousing views that would have been venemously labeled as "liberal" or "communist" by American conservatives.

My favorite quote:
"All for ourselves, and nothing for other people, seems, in every age of the world, to have been the vile maxim of the masters of mankind."
>>
>>1805763
Rich Dad, Poor Dad is a better read desu
>>
>>1805763
It's not really worth it. The amount of wrong and outdated ideas is astounding and the fact that unless you hsave a very solid understanding of economics a pain in the ass to identify makes it overall a huge waste of time unless you are doing for pure pleasure.
>>
>>1805763
It's an important work, but you'll get more out of a basic economics textbook.
>>
File: 1475343777665.jpg (153KB, 1141x824px) Image search: [Google]
1475343777665.jpg
153KB, 1141x824px
>>1805763
Wealth of nations works alot better as a historical/philosophical text than as an economic text.
Das Kapital as well.

pic maybe unrelated
>>
>>1805763
It's a good read, but mostly for enjoyment or to become more knowledgeable in the overall subject of economics, but something like "Economics for Dummies" or "Economics in One Lesson" is probably more useful for actually learning about the subject, especially if you are a beginner.
>>
>>1806900
fuck that scammy shit!
>>
>>1805768
>>1805778
>>1805876
>>1806866
>>1807225
>>1807541
>>1807553
>>1807653
Thanks for all the advice. I have somewhat of a basic understanding of economics. It's more like bare-bones, really. I wanted to understand more, and so I figured I'd start with one of the works that I know is considered hugely influential in modern economics. The old style language doesn't really put me off or anything. I plan to eventually read Das Kaptial, and Thomas Sowell's Basic Economics, as well.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.