[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

University

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Australia-vs-US-Map.png (193KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
Australia-vs-US-Map.png
193KB, 1024x682px
Hear me out.

I have dual citizenship in Aus and USA so choice isn't a problem, but I just want to to determine where I should go to university.

I am planning to study computer science. The main points for either side are:

Australia - interest free loans that automatically defer until you earn over like $50k.
USA - better universities with a more employable reputation.

I grew up in Aus and have lived in the SF East bay for a couple years so I'm familiar with both countries. Currently around the Berkeley area and considering doing Community College and then transferring to Cal if I can.

Is the Cal reputation worth the heavier financial stress? Am I an idiot for not jumping immediately at the opportunity to take advantage of the Australian education finance system?
>>
>>1804853
Depends where you want to work. Foreign degrees are not very well recognized by US companies. And if you want to work here, the necessary networking opportunities would be lacking in Aus.
>>
Toronto is not part of the United states. Try harder
>>
>>1804853
Listen here.
You could spend a fortune to get some Ivy League degree or choose a cheap/free university to get your knowledge.
You know what the difference will be? Maybe the first three to five years. Some MIT degree will get you a great starting salary, maybe even open the doors to some great companies. But you'll be paying for massive debt.
Start with some noname University degree, work five years, and you most likely will be on the same level as some MIT graduate. Reputation is worth shit, your experience will determine your value!

There is a reason why some silicon valley managers trash the education system in the US and support students dropping out and starting their own shit. Experience > degree.

Stay in Australia and get experience (internships, jobs, project) as much as possible.
>>
>>1804975
The same Silicon Valley managers also import Indian, Chinese, and Russian nationals by the thousands. I wouldn't put too much stock in their advice about education.
And ridiculously good schools like MIT don't make you pay much if any tuition if you're truly talented. If you get in there, you'll get far anywhere.
>>
>>1804975
Ivy League gives you a lot of grants/no loans if you need financial aid. It's the mid-tier schools that fuck you.
>>
>>1804975
Thanks for your advice. I'm still not sure whether I'm going to work in the states or Aus long term, however I certainly tempted to go back to Aus to study. Especially because the family I know is in the SF Bay and I am really not having a lot of fun trying to get by here financially.

>>1804995
>>1805018
I have often heard of how top tier universities are very financially supportive in that way, however I don't know I would get into one. I went to HS in Australia and graduated 6 years ago. I've just been working shitty customer service jobs since then and I'm 24 now, so I don't really have much to show for myself.
>>
File: nDuqXP8.jpg (27KB, 720x478px) Image search: [Google]
nDuqXP8.jpg
27KB, 720x478px
which is a cooler place to live in san francisco or sydney?
>>
>>1804853
germany free tuition spend like 20k to live for 4 years tops
>>
>>1805199
Don't speak German. It would probably take as long as a Bachelors degree just to become proficient enough in German to attend university and not get left behind.

Also, I'm not a refugee so I don't now how I would be able to just move there and live without knowing anyone.
>>
>>1805204
English degrees, its free for anybody
>>
>>1805195
If I could nuke three cities in the world, I would nuke San Francisco three times
>>
>>1805840
Why?
>>
>>1804853
I went to ANU, graduated with AUD$30k in interest-free debt, got a job in the US, exchange rate tanked and I paid off my debt with USD$20k during my first year of work. AUD$30k is a lot of uni debt, too, I could've had less if I didn't switch degrees three times and lose a bunch of course credit.

I don't know what the job market is going to be like when you graduate, but right now SV is so desperate for talent that they're hiring people whose only experience is those "coding bootcamps". SV is very international (there are a shitload of Australians, too) and foreign degrees are not looked down on. I work at a company you've heard of and one of our new grads came directly from Sydney and is making >USD$100k.

The biggest advantage is simply being physically present, and since you're a citizen you can go live in the bay area for a few months after graduation while you find a job.

Of course, the job market could crash while you're at school, but at that point I think you'd be screwed either way.
>>
>>1805854
Probably because it's a godawful shithole of a city.
>>
>>1805859
I've got friends who work there. They make great salaries and seem happy. Granted, I've never been there, but I get the feeling you haven't either.
>>
>>1805864
>make great salaries
>pay $2000/month to rent a bed in a room with five other guys

Why do you think I haven't been there? How else would I know how shitty the place is?
>>
>>1804853
Fuck off, we're full.
>>
if you have american citizenship, check what their tax treaty with australia is

you'll be expected to file even if you live and work in australia

might be easiest in the long run to just stay american
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.