[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>tfw graduated 2 months ago and got a job in my field making

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: 1483156107021.jpg (108KB, 924x537px) Image search: [Google]
1483156107021.jpg
108KB, 924x537px
>tfw graduated 2 months ago and got a job in my field making 65k salary (but closer to 94k with my bonuses), no internship experience at all, 3.1 GPA, car and 0 debt, and I realistically work about 2 hours a day (our office has 2 rules: there are no "set" hours and nobody is a "boss"

Describe a time when feel you got extremely lucky /biz/
>>
File: 1482299811422.jpg (139KB, 508x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1482299811422.jpg
139KB, 508x1600px
>>
>>1800982
What's the field?
>>
File: download.png (4KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
4KB, 225x225px
>>1800982
What do you do, my dude?
>>
>>1801083
>>1801075
Consulting Actuary but for some reason I have no workload. No idea why. I won't say which firm.
>>
>>1801084
And what was your major in college?

You should find some shit to do since theres "no work" or you might get fired.
>>
>>1801085
Mathematics.

I told you already, I do my 2 hours a work per day and people appreciate it. I hear nothing but positives about what a great job I'm doing.
>>
>>1801086
Well as a consultant, isnt part of your responsibility to prospect and seek out new clients?
>>
>>1801091
Kek no.

I graduate college 2 months ago with a math major. Seeking out clients happens after like 10 years of experience. Did you not get that?

I literally get to copy an paste an excel file for 2 hours a day and get paid really well for doing it. And the only way to go from here is up.

Anyway /biz/ TELL ME ABOUT YOUR LUCKIEST BREAKS.
>>
Similar story to OP, but I was making 100k and had my own office.

It doesn't last forever.
>>
>>1801086
You're living the dream don't fuck it up.
I was like you once but couldn't be normie to stay happy so I made life hard mode
>>
>>1801100
Why doesn't it last forever...?

>>1801105
I got married so it's kind of hard.

Also I hate this company because even though it's so luxurious and nice, I feel like there's no real team and no sense of teamwork. It's just everyone doing independent business and then going home to their families. I want to make enough to have a decent savings put away for retirement and then go find a job that I like more but maybe pays less or something.
>>
>>1800982
i'm 33, kv, from a third world country, unemployed for 5 years

i'm certain my lucky break is just about to happen.
>>
>>1801106
>Why doesn't it last forever...?
>I hate this company
That's one factor.

The other is that expectations rise as you gain experience. Most people (especially new grads) are retards, so teams are very happy when they hire a non-retard. After a promotion or two the honeymoon effect wears off and you're expected to start pulling your weight.

Of course, you could just never go for promotion.
>>
>>1800982
Know that feel. I was a teacher. They'll never admit they only teach at most 4 classes per day, but some days they only teach 1 or 2. The rest of the day is 'preparation etc.'. Some day's I'd arrive at 10 and be gone by 11. 'Full time'

Then I moved into higher education (university) and wow, workloads can get even smaller for much more money. Wriggled my way into the 'online classes' and now I don't even wear pants for that 1 hr per day I work.
>>
>>1801118
Well as an actuary, there's no promotion here. It's just passing exams and your salary goes up be a pre-determined amount. I could predict exactly what my salary will be at any time based on how many exams I pass.
But I can see your point.

It just feels like literally nobody even knows I'm at this company. But then I collect my paycheck and remember someone must know I'm here. Nothing is supervised. Like I said, there is no "boss" and we have no shareholders, yet we're a majorly recognized consulting firm. But our particular branch is really small and doesn't do much, and I'm in the corner of that branch so it's kinda weird.

>>1801120
Lol sounds nice
>>
What do you do when you are in an opposite situation?
I fucking hate my job extremely but have no lateral skills and my degree is very limited.
I'm very lucky to have this job but it is killing my soul.
>>
>>1801124
What's the average age of the people there? You could've just ended up in a "country club" area of the business.
>>
>>1801131
I don't know, probably about 40.

There's a few people age 26-30 and a few people much older than 40.

Nobody else is as new as me though, and there's no training at all.
>>
>>1801124
Hey bro I'm an actuary too. FSA at a large US insurer. It's a damn sweet gig (once you get through the exams).
>>
>>1800982
when i learned how to build my own desk i felt like a genius
>>
>>1800982
Kind of similar here OP... been working about 2 hours a day like that for the last 8 years. Don't love the job but it pays a good salary. Unfortunately in my case I can feel myself slipping behind and I'm afraid of slipping right under. I don't keep up with enough stuff going on at work and they've started giving me some additional responsibilities since I'm becoming senior. I think I'm going to have to suck it up and start putting in more effort for awhile.
>>
>>1801098
i hope you get aids
>>
Junior in college
Non-target, good business school
Have 3.0
Ask best friend's CFO dad to ask around for an internship.
Mfw when I'm introduced to the most successful institutional investor within 400 miles.
Interview 10 times before they decide to hire me.
Eat 5 star lunch everyday for free
Collect paycheck
Have more experience than anyone I know.
>>
Wait, so which would be better to study with finance. Math or computer science?
>>
File: 1440188638685.jpg (148KB, 800x541px) Image search: [Google]
1440188638685.jpg
148KB, 800x541px
>>1801930
>Ask best friend's CFO dad to ask around for an internship.
Why is life so unfair
>>
This has got to be a roleplay thread.

Every time I've had no work, I've been "fired." It never mattered what I did or why I was unengaged. There are some really inept and sadistic managers out there.
>>
>>1801098
>>1801084
>>1800982
>>1801005

I feel part jealousy, and part pity for you.

I am jealous of your "lucky break", and I pity you because none of your posts indicate you have any ambition to make proper use of your good fortune. You seem to know youre unworthy of what youve been given by calling yourself "lucky".

If I were you I would never tell anyone about my shitty background as you have in the OP, because its a disgrace even if your bragging by juxtaposing it against your current position, and I would work hard to make sure no one ever suspects I have such poor work ethic.
>>
>>1801950
You should have paid for private school.
>>
> Get a bachelor's in psychology
> Everyone I know mocked me
> 3 weeks before graduation get a job at a non-profit
> 36k for very little work and zero oversight
> Make an awesome resume
> 8 months after I begin job I get a new job as a director of a smaller nonprofit making 86k

I don't know what I'm doing and im constantly scared I'll fuck up. I'm 23 and I don't know why I was hired. I have no firm grasp on what this company does beyond helping people that are referred to us. I only answer to the CEO and board, who after the second of three interviews I've never seen or heard from again. It's been a year. I have 27 people under me, all but one is older. I send one email a day and just kind of just call people at random to ask how things are going and say good job.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.