[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stop-loss orders

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 2014-08-19 18.48.38.jpg (228KB, 1600x1212px) Image search: [Google]
2014-08-19 18.48.38.jpg
228KB, 1600x1212px
Hello,
I just bought some shares for a small amount of money (~$400) and I did not put a stop-loss. I thought that since the amount of money I've placed is quite low I could just wait it out if the stock tanks. Have I made a mistake?

PS. The stock I bought was AMD, I figure I'm too late for the insane gains but steady growth in near future is expected. What do you think?

Image unrelated
>>
Just check back every day and see if there is any growth.

I'm putting a thousand into a local business and forgetting the money ever existed, while keeping an eye on the stocks, until they finish set up and start making profits. If they don't, and the shares tank, then it's a sad event that I was prepared to accept.

Worst that happens is you pretend you never had that $400. The world won't end.
>>
File: 1482294098142.gif (2MB, 500x434px)
1482294098142.gif
2MB, 500x434px
>>1800094
Okay...so how much leverage did you use?
>>
>>1800094
I don't set stops. As an investor there's little need to set a stop-loss when diversified. Close or double down on tp limits, that works fine.
>>
>>1800094
Why did you buy AMD?
>I thought I could just wait it out
You may as well fucking gamble and save yourself the time, that's if you've not got a legit reason to buy AMD
>>
>>1800297
Checking back every day is stupid and stressful. It goes up and down all the time... AMD might not be a bad choice in the long run, they have a stable income, they are well established, they have some nice patents that pretty much any 64-bit processor depends on and the competition is not really making any significant gains.

If he wants it for the long run then he should have some pauses between every time he looks at it. Or else it is very stressful to see it go down when it's just normal fluctuations in the market and he might make a bad choice and sell it at a stupid point and then have the prize go back and become more the very next day
>>
>>1800094
I calculate your max loss at $400 when AMD drops to zero
>>
>>1800094

>OMG IT WENT DOWN

I see this all the time. Be patient guys.

I doubled my money on DRAM but I had to wait through a long dip (3 months)
>>
>>1801183
>Checking back every day is stupid and stressful. It goes up and down all the time...

True. I suppose just check enough that you don't kill yourself for missing a massive spike that only lasted a few days.
>>
>>1803177
Even with the spikes though. If you have good reason to think there is long term gain then worrying about spikes might make the risk larger that the long term gains might be lost. I missed out on so much money on crypto because I couldn't stop myself from selling when I thought it had hit a spike and then suddenly it rises and rises and don't seem to stop rising so I buy because I don't want to miss out on gains and then it plummets (and then raises again)

Of course I am an idiot and none of you guys might do stupid Shit like that, but when there are what looks like easy gains then likely thousands of other people falling for the same nonsense. It is stressful and hard to avoid selling or buying on these daily ups and downs. And it's easy to do stupid shit if you do.

I would be sick from stress if I was a day trader
>>
>>1803419

I appreciate the anecdote. It will likely help me, even if I do only invest in this one company. It's just if it goes well, I can see myself doing it more. So ever tidbit of experience someone shares is valuable.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.